Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 539219 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1245: November 09, 2011, 05:26:45 AM »
You just proved my point, you know... lol.

In fact, that very much reminds me of a real world reference. During WWII, in the North African campaigns Rommel was able to advance not because he had numerically superior forces, or that his tanks were overwhelmingly better. He was able to advance because the British thought of the front as a solid line, when in fact, because of the expanse in which Rommel had to maneuver in the deserts. There was no such thing as a solid front, which is the same thing I'm trying to get across for Dave's Galaxy. You can be flanked from any direction, at any time.

Actually no, I didn't. I am contesting HIS planets, DEEP inside his OWN territory. Thus the idea that planets just outside of your sphere are contestable is redundant, EVERYTHING is easy contestable, immediate space is not protected in any meaningful way.

You also ignore the fact that the "contested" regions I first proposed would be in their immediate space, since I we referring to planets I had colonised right next door to their own planets, often only 1-2 days travel. The entire premise of being able to "cement" your claims within a regional tax border is what I was suggesting was wrong, subsequent discussion just proved that basing borders on that domain exclusively was flawed if we are trying to consider what space would be easily defended and held.

Finally I prefer the non-automatic system, since it encourages player communication and diplomacy far more then some arbitrary algorithm.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.