Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 539066 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1275: November 10, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »
Even small empire can expand as rapidly as their resources allow, after all there are ways to make sure you never lose a single planet, so long as you log in every day.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276: November 10, 2011, 04:04:20 AM »
copla is expanding as rapidly as his resources allow and getting his ass handed to him.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:06:52 AM by Kai »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277: November 10, 2011, 04:10:41 AM »
copla is expanding as rapidly as his resources allow and getting his ass handed to him.

Just means Copla doesn't know what he is doing :)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278: November 10, 2011, 04:11:53 AM »
This game needs automation so bad.

Speak to me of what you need automated and I might be able to set something up.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279: November 10, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »
Just means Copla doesn't know what he is doing :)
Even if you keep the 9k steel of a colony and make scouts it will still run out in a month and you can just sit 5 cruisers on it.

Speak to me of what you need automated and I might be able to set something up.
Just regular stuff with colonies and mind control and things.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1280: November 10, 2011, 10:26:34 AM »
Yeah, the massive strength of some empires is frightening. I've considered moving a dozen arcs across the galaxy and coming back next year, but that's too long even for me.

I don't know how much PDs can even the odds, I bank on them, that's why my central regions are covered in several of them. At the very least, it's going to be very expensive to attack me.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281: November 10, 2011, 11:03:50 AM »
Even if you keep the 9k steel of a colony and make scouts it will still run out in a month and you can just sit 5 cruisers on it.
Just regular stuff with colonies and mind control and things.

Which is why using 1 arc for a colony is stupid, even more stupid when you are fighting. I've got colonies that hover around 8-9k steel. I've found that given the initial resources last long enough that by the time I'm running out I've gotten to the point that I generate 1 scouts worth per turn. That combined with the fact that for some reason some turns the scouts survive allows me to keep those planets defended indefinitely. Mind you the planet has never been society level 1 on the attack, I think the lowest was about level 6. The bigger threat is if your enemy can encircle you and prevent Arcs from breaking out.

With regards to automation I am making scripts to check for planets that need Mind Control, confirm that mind control system are active, flag planets that have inactive upgrades in general. My next project will be to set up automatic builds. I'm hoping to have planet categories and for each category there will be a build routine, along the lines of start upgrade x when planet hits society level Y. I would like to add some more checks too like ensure that population is a certain level, or income has reached a certain threshold.

Yeah, the massive strength of some empires is frightening. I've considered moving a dozen arcs across the galaxy and coming back next year, but that's too long even for me.

I don't know how much PDs can even the odds, I bank on them, that's why my central regions are covered in several of them. At the very least, it's going to be very expensive to attack me.

Pick somewhere close, but empty might take a few months to arrive, be aware that once you set up shop though the starting algorithm may place new players close to you. PD's even the odds nicely, though that is my experience with also using scout defenses, when Flyingmana attacks planets in my developed areas he usually targets small planets. I use a scout to defend the planet, build a PD near by, whittle down his fleet and then mop up. I think I have a tactic that gives me and advantage against PD, but I need to test it further, and small defensive fleets around the planet would still prevent you from making any real gains.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:10:41 AM by De-Legro »

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282: November 10, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »
a few planets going a tiny bit positive... but all planets are still sending way too much funds to reg. gov planet. for example:

Nu Monomeda 7
still has an inactive mind control, is within borders of 2 reg. gov, no trade this turn.
before turn 243780
after turn 256493
nothing building.
budget surplus is supposed to be 469753... obviously it's not staying on the planet.

the inactive mind control is really screwing the planet up.
----
is there any reason why funds sent to regional gov isn't listed in the debit part of the budget? if it's listed there, it should be fairly obviously to see how wrong the whole thing is and see whether the % sent is constant and for that matter, how big the % is..
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283: November 10, 2011, 05:06:23 PM »
Indeed, I have a named route drawn outlining my intended borders for Haman.

My other account is called Vellos; it's very, very far from Haman. They're basically irrelevant to each other. But, yes, I knew a lot of the mechanics already, and my other account is "boxed in" by other empires, so I wanted to start a more expansionist account.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284: November 10, 2011, 07:16:53 PM »
what would happen if you stick farm sub and oil sub and the usual crap on your home planet along with the reg. gov?

if the reg gov isn't fixed that is... and thus continue to rake in excessive sums, let's take mine for example.. normal income is 558400... and your expenditure is based on that. farm sub + oil sub = extra 80%, let's say 400k.. which is a drop in the ocean compared to the 3 mil it rakes in... and you won't have to lose money from trades/planet buying resources from thin air.. either... but your other resources like steel will be crap... so the planet imports steel?

... so maybe not so viable afterall... could work if it's linked to the other planets? then again, if it's linked.. it won't have oil/food problems?
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285: November 10, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
Honestly, I'm realizing more and more than food/oil subsidies are only worthwhile if you messed up on MCs. Other than that, there's no need for them. And, even then, it's sometimes more cost effective to just let a planet pay for food out of tax revenues.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286: November 10, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »
unfortunately, regional gov can kill mc. (or any building)
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287: November 11, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »
unfortunately, regional gov can kill mc. (or any building)

I had to switch region government off on my home world, same problem you are having, it was taking far too much cash from my other well developed planets. Dave has said putting the amount sent off to regional governments is on his list of things to do.

One more thing to note, building upkeep is based on GDP. Thus a planet with lots of buildings and regional government as well potentially pays a heap more for those buildings. As all my planets get up to high society levels I am questioning keeping regional government going. If I could micro control my traders then sure I could stockpile resources on a single planet, and build fleets from their using RG to ensure plenty of cash, but I can't so to me so far it looks more effective to just let every planet do its own thing.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288: November 11, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »
yes... but reg gov is supposed to be 5% it's currently more like 50% i think. (no hard numbers... but it's something ridiculously huge.)

my problem is that the home planet, because it wasn't mind capped, is screwed without reg. gov. but everything else is a bit screwed with reg. gov... as it stands atm.

---
obviously i can scrap everything in the home planet...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:18:55 PM by fodder »
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289: November 11, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
yes... but reg gov is supposed to be 5% it's currently more like 50% i think. (no hard numbers... but it's something ridiculously huge.)

my problem is that the home planet, because it wasn't mind capped, is screwed without reg. gov. but everything else is a bit screwed with reg. gov... as it stands atm.

---
obviously i can scrap everything in the home planet...

Interesting, I am letting my home planet go without Mind Control as an experiment, it has reached 125 society level and still has a 181067 surplus, even after I pay 223504 for the farm subsides. I had to ditch the RG several turns ago or I would have ended up with an entire sector of planets growing out of control. What tax rate are you running?