Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 539790 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1860: March 04, 2012, 12:00:44 PM »
No, I need 10 of them overlapping. 5 is when you're trying to attack one of my outer planets. If you try to hit my home world, you need to fly through at least 20 PDs before you even get in range of its own PD.

And that's exactly how I want it. Because I spent months building up that defense, it should be equally hard to get past it.

Completely agree, the time taken to go through planets lists and make sure every planet has PD defenses, and that every planet is still running a surplus is pretty high. The reality is that the players using the defense are probably doing so for a reason, and the main reason is cause they don't have the time to defend their empires otherwise. This is why you see large players adopt it, those massive empires would be impossible to defend otherwise, and even with the massive PD defense they have their weaknesses.

Not sure how many players have actually TRIED taking on a full PD defense, it is a lot more intimidating in ones mind then it is in reality.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861: March 04, 2012, 01:03:57 PM »
No, I need 10 of them overlapping. 5 is when you're trying to attack one of my outer planets. If you try to hit my home world, you need to fly through at least 20 PDs before you even get in range of its own PD.

And that's exactly how I want it. Because I spent months building up that defense, it should be equally hard to get past it.

Well, nothing would prevent you from still keeping all of them. You just wouldn't be able to field much fleets, but that'd be the price for going the safe turtling way. Right now you've got no downside to essentially building yourself an invincible fortress. No matter how you look at it that's not balanced in any way.

Not sure how many players have actually TRIED taking on a full PD defense, it is a lot more intimidating in ones mind then it is in reality.

I took one from Hierulf that had a single PD. Didn't even have Long Range sensors 2 on it so his visibility was quite limited and I sailed through half of the PD defense range with no problems. Still, it was expensive enough that I can't try it again and he didn't even try to actively defend it. The fact is I'm almost surrounded by a Great Wall of PDs from him and I absolutely can not touch him in most places. It's not because of good tactic or play on his part. He just spammed the build button on one upgrade. It's not even a hard choice to make.

The fact you had to send out 15k battleships and lost 13k of them against 9 PDs and are now still left with 8 more to fight should tell how horribly imbalanced they are.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862: March 04, 2012, 04:37:56 PM »

I tend to agree.

Well, nothing would prevent you from still keeping all of them. You just wouldn't be able to field much fleets, but that'd be the price for going the safe turtling way. Right now you've got no downside to essentially building yourself an invincible fortress. No matter how you look at it that's not balanced in any way.

Outer planets should be targetted first, that way there will be less overlapping PDs.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Galle

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863: March 04, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »
Does anyone have an idea what the chances of successful piracy are? I had 150+ cruisers in three fleets shooting at two arches belonging to GundamMerc for three turns without success. Is there any point to piracy at all?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864: March 04, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »
Does anyone have an idea what the chances of successful piracy are? I had 150+ cruisers in three fleets shooting at two arches belonging to GundamMerc for three turns without success. Is there any point to piracy at all?

I'm having similar problems; piracy doesn't seem to be working for me at all.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865: March 05, 2012, 12:57:29 AM »

I took one from Hierulf that had a single PD. Didn't even have Long Range sensors 2 on it so his visibility was quite limited and I sailed through half of the PD defense range with no problems. Still, it was expensive enough that I can't try it again and he didn't even try to actively defend it. The fact is I'm almost surrounded by a Great Wall of PDs from him and I absolutely can not touch him in most places. It's not because of good tactic or play on his part. He just spammed the build button on one upgrade. It's not even a hard choice to make.

The

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866: March 05, 2012, 01:02:38 AM »
Quote of lilwolf

Quoted for emphasis?

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867: March 05, 2012, 01:04:36 AM »
Pfft, PD's are my lifesaver at the moment.

LilAnnie cannot march straight into my core worlds thanks to my overwhelming majority. Its resulted in a stalemate with both of us sending bigger and bigger fleets to try and knock out a key planet.

Its actually very fun on a strategic level as we are both now trying flanking tactics and actively seeking out weaknesses in the other's sensor grid and defence network. Its also resulted in my reclusive, isolationist civilization in dealing with other players and using diplomacy to secure support and neutrality from those around us.

All in all, PD's = FUN!
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #1868: March 05, 2012, 01:07:10 AM »

Hmmm.. don't think I have any arcs out... any you little weasel, I'll get you for this!

Also, yes I think PD should more of a strategic option than spamming, if that's what people can already do for little cost, there's little point in making it an upgrade. It might as well be included with the planets. Tom says he thinks that the PD protects against the people who use scripts. Here's a wake up call for you Tom. Look at Hierulf. There's no doubt in my mind that he uses scripts, and he's nigh invicible BECAUSE he can PD spam with little to no consequences.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869: March 05, 2012, 01:11:29 AM »
Hmmm.. don't think I have any arcs out... any you little weasel, I'll get you for this!

Also, yes I think PD should more of a strategic option than spamming, if that's what people can already do for little cost, there's little point in making it an upgrade. It might as well be included with the planets. Tom says he thinks that the PD protects against the people who use scripts. Here's a wake up call for you Tom. Look at Hierulf. There's no doubt in my mind that he uses scripts, and he's nigh invicible BECAUSE he can PD spam with little to no consequences.

Hierulf does use scripts, you can tell by the * at the end of his planet names. I've seen quite a few players with similar planet names, so either they use the same/similar scripts or they are other accounts of his.

That said, Heirulf and other script uses are unlikely to attack concentrated PD. It takes significant planning to do so succesfully, and significant time. Most script users are in reality barely playing the game, which is why for all his PD Hierulf is a reasonably easy target, half the time he appears to forget to defend planets with fleets.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870: March 05, 2012, 03:33:30 AM »
I use no scripts at all and all of my planets will have PD's when they are able to...

Protects me from those that DO use scripts to basically just steamroll over anyone.

Maybe if Dave banned Scripts all together I wouldnt need to spend 3 minutes loading yellow dotted lines... but I already know that would be an unpopular option.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871: March 05, 2012, 03:44:12 AM »
I use no scripts at all and all of my planets will have PD's when they are able to...

Protects me from those that DO use scripts to basically just steamroll over anyone.

Maybe if Dave banned Scripts all together I wouldnt need to spend 3 minutes loading yellow dotted lines... but I already know that would be an unpopular option.

Dave could try banning them. I've played enough of the really competitive web games to know that bans never stop the determined ones though, they just write their scripts to try and disguise it.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872: March 05, 2012, 03:58:39 AM »
piracy does something. though it only seem to do something for me when i declared war. lilwolf seems to have had it do something when neutral.

perhaps it's a % thing... neutral... occasionally.. allied.. never.. war.. always.
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873: March 05, 2012, 04:20:24 AM »
piracy does something. though it only seem to do something for me when i declared war. lilwolf seems to have had it do something when neutral.

perhaps it's a % thing... neutral... occasionally.. allied.. never.. war.. always.

It was working for me at peace, but I've seen very little from the same fleets that once worked. Perhaps it is because only warfleets pass them these days.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874: March 05, 2012, 05:39:08 AM »
Pfft, PD's are my lifesaver at the moment.

LilAnnie cannot march straight into my core worlds thanks to my overwhelming majority. Its resulted in a stalemate with both of us sending bigger and bigger fleets to try and knock out a key planet.

Its actually very fun on a strategic level as we are both now trying flanking tactics and actively seeking out weaknesses in the other's sensor grid and defence network. Its also resulted in my reclusive, isolationist civilization in dealing with other players and using diplomacy to secure support and neutrality from those around us.

All in all, PD's = FUN!

LOL, you're LucasAvis?

hahaha. Wow. Small galaxy. I'm Haman, LilAnnie's ally to the east.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner