Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 536823 times)

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #2055: August 10, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Regarding exponential growth:
Basing a game on mechanics that both allow exponential growth /and/ make it an important factor is a mistake in my eyes. A game is enjoyable (to me at least) if I have to make choices. Learning the possibilities, then deciding on which path to take, then adapting that path....that is gaming for me.

To me a good player should be able to 'overcome' (not necessarily defeat but have an impact on) a mediocre player, even if the former has a smaller econonmic base (however that is calculated).

If exponential growth is included as a main design choice then the most important factor to survival will not be diplomacy, strategy or tactics but both an early start and continued growth.

I would therefore be very much interested (as a player who does not / is not able to use scripts) to see limitations on exponential growth. For example:
1) Speed of arcs = 1 / (total number of arcs / 3). Thus a few arcs would be reach a lot faster than
2) cost of arcs (steel) = 8000 * (1 + total number of arcs / 10)
3) combat power (I know far too little about combat as I was a 60 planet 'empire' in the previous galaxy who never fought a real war) should favor smaller players considerably.

Combine this with options where diplomacy gives a player an advantage...for example being able to use other players planets as bases to resupply, being able to use 'wormholes' of other players if allowed...meaning, make /position/ a factor (not 'only' time-to-destination) that has importance.

I do not know if this meshes with Daves idea on how his game should develop but maybe some of the above is of use.

Lastly: thanks for all your effort, Dave! Much appreciated!