Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529298 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #2070: September 01, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »
Please do. <3 I've been playing days and I'm already getting to the point where its becoming a hassle to micromanage every colony and the literally 50 or so fleets I have in the air right now. Add that to the defensive armada I want on every single colony, the dozen scouts I have in the air right now, the few blackwhatevers I have floating about, and more, and it becomes utterly hectic to keep track of.

There are some other non-technical ways of simplifying management.

1. Don't use creative names. Use systematic names. My planets are named with a letter (to indicate which sector they are in, explained below), a two-digit number (the order they were colonized in that sector), if need be another letter (to indicate major sub-sectors), then a colon, then a series of letters and symbols to indicate major developmental stages that I've found useful. This allows me to know where a planet is located, what upgrades it has, and various other identifying info straight from the planet list. It also allows me to know a lot of info just from mouseover on the map.

2. Use circular routes to identify coherent regions of space. I generally try to identify clusters of 50-80 stars as a major region, which I usually then subdivide into several more. This allows me to say, "Okay, today, I will do all the upgrades for Subsectors 1, 2, and 3 of Sector B," and have a clear sense of how much I've done and how much needs doing. It also makes it easier to keep track of. And, personally, I think it makes wars more interesting when I visualize it as people invading certain sectors and such. Plus, later on, those circular routes come in handy; you can set fleets on them to patrol your borders, and eventually the fleets will accelerate to maximum speed, so you can have rapid response fleets at the ready.

Thought: A circular route in a nebula... anybody have any idea how fast you could get?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner