Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529646 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #810: September 22, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »
Or, we all hit the same planet at the same time with multiple large fleets (3/4 fleets each). Once we've wiped out his fleet stationed there, we then send in lots of fleets of single Cruisers. Since he only gets 16k Steel a day, which means 17 Frigates a day, we don't have to send in that many fleets. If he goes for Scouts (which he may or may not realise also works) then that's 66 fleets a day. Between the three of us I'm sure we can get up enough ships to counteract 66 fleets a day, whilst still keeping a large enough force on the planet to attack any large fleets he sends. It'll take some work (and a lot of co-ordination), but he can definitely be beaten. Once we get the first planet down, the rest should follow more swiftly because we'll have access to another source of Steel.

Actually, on total resource count, Arcs are cheaper. It's just on Steel that Subspacers are cheaper, but then you rapidly start to run out of Quatloos. So in the beginning it's a great idea to use Subspacers because you start with a large reserve of Quatloos, but later on your reserves dwindle and you need them for fleets, meaning they're probably not the best thing to use.

Kai's point is correct.

It is impossible to take a reasonably productive planet with an active player behind it as far as I can tell.

Reason is because the game FIRST processes planetary bombardments, THEN processes fights.

As far as I can tell, as long as Oldry keeps building scouts and frigates on Nu Fornpeia, we will never be able to take it.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #811: September 22, 2011, 03:34:57 PM »
(quotes)

Ahh, I misread and thought he said Planetary Defences. That's fairly ridiculous then.

I read somewhere that attacking forces remove surplus resources from the planet, does anyone know many they remove? And if you have a large enough fleet, is it enough to remove enough resources so your opponent can't create anything in their next turn?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #812: September 22, 2011, 03:51:23 PM »
Anybody feel like suggesting to dave that the order of events be changed?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #813: September 22, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »
Anybody feel like suggesting to dave that the order of events be changed?

Most definitely.

Kai, what the heck happened to your fleet going to carlwolcott? I'm sure the last time I looked it was fairly big and now it's got only a handful of ships in it :S Surely those 32 Battleships can't have done that much damage, can they? >.<

I'd be interested in seeing that battle report, btw. When I start to work on that calculator properly it'll make a nice test case.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #814: September 22, 2011, 05:37:51 PM »
Most definitely.

Kai, what the heck happened to your fleet going to carlwolcott? I'm sure the last time I looked it was fairly big and now it's got only a handful of ships in it :S Surely those 32 Battleships can't have done that much damage, can they? >.<

I'd be interested in seeing that battle report, btw. When I start to work on that calculator properly it'll make a nice test case.

I traded steel efficiently and quatloo inefficiently as follows:

Fleet: Fleet #26435, 77 (26435) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 9
             subspacers -- 45
             destroyers -- 5
Fleet: Fleet #19960, 40 battleships (19960) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
            battleships -- 8

Remaining:
cruisers:6
superbattleships:2
subspacers:5
destroyers:5

vs 32 battleships

Resources lost:
steel / quatloos
59250   722500
100000   200000

Original fleet resources:
500000   1000000
130625   1050000

So I traded very efficiently considering original costs as long as I leave now.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:43:48 PM by Kai »

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #815: September 22, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
Got me a fourth home planet, a fifth is to be added soon. It's almost unbelievable how much potential might I've gained in the last several days. I currently have roughly 700k steel to spend on war fleets on my home planets, and I am starting to build a merchant fleet to get steel from my colonies to my original home. If any one of you is relatively close to me and needs some military assistance, I'll be happy to send out an armada.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #816: September 22, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
Got me a fourth home planet, a fifth is to be added soon. It's almost unbelievable how much potential might I've gained in the last several days. I currently have roughly 700k steel to spend on war fleets on my home planets, and I am starting to build a merchant fleet to get steel from my colonies to my original home. If any one of you is relatively close to me and needs some military assistance, I'll be happy to send out an armada.

That's pretty awesome, you'll soon be rivalling Kai and De-Legro for largest BM empire :D

Are you spending all of your steel on a war fleet? Or is any of it going on colonisation?

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #817: September 22, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »
Masdus is still largest.

Colonies are glorified permanent vision fields I wouldn't prioritise them.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #818: September 22, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
All my conquered home planets are abandoned newbie worlds with not a single colonized planet. I'm not going to waste too much steel colonizing them at this point... instead I'll just spam a few 50 cruiser fleets. And I think I'll use them to take revenge on a neighbor for wasting a few of my fleets on a botched invasion >_>

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #819: September 23, 2011, 12:24:28 AM »
Masdus is still largest.

Colonies are glorified permanent vision fields I wouldn't prioritise them.

My first colonies are getting Matter Synths and getting good, just had to visit them every now and then with a population boost.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #820: September 23, 2011, 07:50:24 AM »
All my conquered home planets are abandoned newbie worlds with not a single colonized planet. I'm not going to waste too much steel colonizing them at this point... instead I'll just spam a few 50 cruiser fleets. And I think I'll use them to take revenge on a neighbor for wasting a few of my fleets on a botched invasion >_>

Is your name.... Oldry, by any chance?

My first colonies are getting Matter Synths and getting good, just had to visit them every now and then with a population boost.

Same; some of my colonies are now producing meaningful amounts of resources. And I've already started scrapping some upgrades on home worlds, shifting tax burdens to the periphery. Within a few weeks, I'll be able to scrap my home planet PD and put PDs in peripheries, which will free up tons of gold at home.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #821: September 23, 2011, 09:51:38 AM »
I read somewhere that attacking forces remove surplus resources from the planet, does anyone know many they remove? And if you have a large enough fleet, is it enough to remove enough resources so your opponent can't create anything in their next turn?

I'm in the middle of fixing this right now.  I'm revamping the assault system -- it now reports what's been removed, I'm also adding in damage to upgrades, and using fleet attack strength to change the chance of winning (it'll also be dependent on planet society level and population).  This change shouldn't take forever, maybe another week.

I'm also going to give all capitals a small planetary defense (probably about 1/2 the diameter of the one you buy).  This should help the new player griefing.
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #822: September 23, 2011, 10:01:38 AM »
I'm also going to give all capitals a small planetary defense (probably about 1/2 the diameter of the one you buy).  This should help the new player griefing.

Will it be temporary? Or will this be permanent. Because I see the problem of having lots of little PDs littered around the galaxy when people haven decided not to come back, which might be harmful to new players who are out exploring the galaxy.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #823: September 23, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »
deactivated (not scrapped!) after 1 month inactive?
firefox

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #824: September 23, 2011, 04:16:29 PM »
Is your name.... Oldry, by any chance?

!@#$, my secret is out! >_>