Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529009 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #885: September 28, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »
they can go inactive? interesting.
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #886: September 28, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
Does anyone know what taxes do, exactly?

I know higher taxes bring in more quatloos for the budget.... but do they have any negative side effects?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #887: September 28, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »
Nathan, that's interesting, I was thinking of offering maverick an alliance against dreadlock since I assumed he was snatching up planets as well

Vellos, I never noticed much other effect besides income. I jack up my taxes to 20% pretty quickly after establishing colonies, and it doesn't seem to do any harm.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #888: September 28, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »
hm, my PD just went inactive on my second home planet, along with slingshot and mind control.

Which is weird... because my budget was plenty big enough to handle them... and I still have hundreds of thousands of food stockpiled...

Oh well. Scrapped Matter Synth 1 and 2. They're useless for now. I have huge reserves of krellmetal and unobtanium compared to my demand, and I'm beginning to favor destroyers over cruisers anyways.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #889: September 28, 2011, 09:05:20 PM »
hm, my PD just went inactive on my second home planet, along with slingshot and mind control.

Which is weird... because my budget was plenty big enough to handle them... and I still have hundreds of thousands of food stockpiled...

It takes money before giving you what you earn. Meaning if you don't have enough to pay your debts before the turn change, some things are going to go offline.

I also noticed that Mind Control is finished before Society Level is upgraded, so it takes 5 turns to finish, but freezes 4 levels after what you start it on.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #890: September 29, 2011, 01:55:04 AM »
My idea is the following:

Two or three big fleets made up of several dozen cruisers, to deal with any fleets of his in the area.
A fair number of smaller fleets, say 4-5 cruisers a piece, to assist in battles or planetary assaults depending on the necessity.
A boatload of small, expendable fleets, say 1-2 frigates/destroyers each, to pick off planets, using around 5 fleets per planet to increase success rate.

My problem is that my two homeworlds closest to this guy (dreadlock, if you want to look him up) are not producing much steel. Alpha Luriae has too little population and produces only about 2.5k a day. Alpha Capetiae has farm subsidies that reduce steel production but I can scrap it long enough to boost production again for a while.

Dreadlock is inactive? I was wondering he has some planets near me that I want, but not close enough that he counts as a nieghbour.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #891: September 29, 2011, 08:12:20 AM »
you don't need synth to build ship? from reading help, it sounds as if you need a synth to build things as opposed to just mining the stuff to build things.
firefox

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #892: September 29, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »
Dreadlock is inactive? I was wondering he has some planets near me that I want, but not close enough that he counts as a nieghbour.
He hasn't logged in for a week now.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #893: September 29, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
you don't need synth to build ship? from reading help, it sounds as if you need a synth to build things as opposed to just mining the stuff to build things.
You don't absolutely need it, but some ships require rare metals that you either need to buy/conquer from others, or create yourself with matter synths. No rare metals = no blackbirds, battleships or super battleships.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #894: September 29, 2011, 10:38:23 AM »
yeah.. i know that bit. just thought from reading the thing that you need both the facility and the resources. XD
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #895: September 29, 2011, 04:20:38 PM »
Nope.

I THINK you might need it to build the upgrades themselves; like, no MS2 unless MS1, no Military Base unless MS2, no PD unless MB... But I'm not even sure about that.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #896: September 29, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »
Anybody remember at what point PD is supposed to appear?

And on the topic of PD... Oldry finally built one... right on the planet I was going to lay siege to.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:23:28 PM by Vellos »

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #897: September 29, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »
I just realised that a few of my older planets can now send out a some arcs... So I built 28 arcs (14 fleets of 2).

From the look of my first colony, if you send 2 arcs then you'll only have to wait a few turns (maybe a week) once you reach level 85 before you have maximum population. More arcs simply reduces the turns you have to wait before maxing your population. 10 arcs and you should be maxed by level 72/3. 20 arcs and you'll be maxed by 65/66.

So really, my strategy a few weeks back of sending 5-10 arcs to each planet was a complete waste. Oh well, at least I managed to use a few of them to send out arcs (most of them have had their steel removed though).

My home planet didn't shut down any upgrades this turn, let's hope it stays like that for a bit long until I can start shifting ship production over to my colonies.

I THINK you might need it to build the upgrades themselves; like, no MS2 unless MS1, no Military Base unless MS2, no PD unless MB... But I'm not even sure about that.

I bloody hope not, that's going to really set me back quite a bit. I'll go back through this thread to see if I mentioned what level I was at when I built PD. I remember noting I was building it.

EDIT:

So I got planetary defenses available on my home planet and my society level is 61, so perhaps it shows at 60?

There we go, PD turns up at level 61. So I think Vellos might be right about needing other upgrades before being able to build a PD.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:44:33 PM by Nathan »

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #898: September 29, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
Did you know that a fleet can be so close to a planet as to be completely obscured by the planet circle, yet not actually landed on the planet itself? Really annoying.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #899: September 29, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
My friend (maverick) is also after dreadlock. Dreadlock took mav's main planet so he wants it back (plus anything in the way). He's coming from the right side (just above Dave's Embassy 4).

Sadly I don't play that that account on the bottom anymore. Dreadlock is way down there now. My empire is the green one above Nathan's.

Speaking of which, does anyone know who kenwillard is? He seems to be sending a few cruisers into my territory.