Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 528997 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #915: October 01, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
If you haven't been keeping up, my resources are less than negligible at the moment ;)
Scouting information is useless if you don't have the resources to make a response, so I guess that's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #916: October 01, 2011, 04:28:45 PM »
Scouting information is useless if you don't have the resources to make a response

Forward scouting is always useful. If I see someone 6/7 turns out heading towards my planets, I can save up more resources than if they're 2/3 days out - hence my wall of Blackbirds. Even if I don't have the resources now, I can acquire them in that time - build small ships from my colonies and send to where I have a military base, bring back merchant fleets to scrap them for their steel. So I wouldn't say it's useless if you don't have the resources. Obviously it's better if you have a stockpile of resources so you can respond immediately, though.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #917: October 01, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Dav3xor I've noticed that when my connected planets share resources they are only able to use resources locally and one connection out.  My question is, is this supposed to be how it works?  Or should the planet be able share resources with any planet connected to it through a chain?

A connects to B connects to C connects to D.

Currently A can only get resources from B, but I can't build something on A that uses resources from C and D even though they are connected.

a quick and dirty way around this... build something in C to drain B/D, scrap it immediately, then build something in B to drain A/C, scrap, then build the same something in A. XD
firefox

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #918: October 01, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »
a quick and dirty way around this... build something in C to drain B/D, scrap it immediately, then build something in B to drain A/C, scrap, then build the same something in A. XD

Haha, there's always a way. 

I limited the resource sharing to 1 hop, because it's easier for me to do.  I also think it's good to put some sort of limit on it, otherwise it's just too much of an advantage.  If you need a reason...   Uhhhmmm..  The connections aren't perfect and degrade material sent through them.  One hop is ok, but things get real fishy with 2.  That's also the reason you can't send people.
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #919: October 02, 2011, 12:02:01 AM »
If you need a reason...   Uhhhmmm..  The connections aren't perfect and degrade material sent through them.  One hop is ok, but things get real fishy with 2.  That's also the reason you can't send people.

Plus the paper work, the merchants need sleep, travel that fast means bad things for bodies, has to match it with perfect alignment of the sun & the gods get a little annoyed ;)

EDIT: Anyone with Regional Government: is it worth it? And does it collect from only your own planets, or other people's too? I was thinking about popping one on my home planet to get a bit more cash in to pay for the food it has to buy but running 20% tax rate and being right next to Kai makes me think twice about it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:53:54 AM by Nathan »

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #920: October 02, 2011, 01:52:32 AM »
Plus the paper work, the merchants need sleep, travel that fast means bad things for bodies, has to match it with perfect alignment of the sun & the gods get a little annoyed ;)

My god man, you have a future as a game designer.
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #921: October 02, 2011, 01:54:45 AM »
My god man, you have a future as a game designer.

I should hope so, that's what it says on my degree certificate :P

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #922: October 02, 2011, 06:50:57 PM »
So... dreadlock has returned. I have two dozen fleets inbound to attack his outlying planets. This should be interesting...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #923: October 02, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »
Haha, clever guy. I did something similar with PeterKaan, works rather well :P

Be careful about moving your fleet about. If I was Oldry, I might leave a few fleets in space set to Pirates in case you have ships moving around.

Is anyone able to fund a scout ring around his planets? If we sit them all just outside his sensor range, we should be able to catch most ships that move through it and see where they're heading. Hopefully, since it's close to his planet, his ships won't have enough speed to slip through it (like seems to be the case when he wandered through my ring with an arc).

My current plan:

Deploy all available discretionary fleets to Airstrip 3. Upon arriving, scrap. Build 1 scout and 1 frigate at a time until a large enough sum of resources has accumulated and enough subspacers have been killed that I can build a fleet large enough to kill his subspacers... or just build PD.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #924: October 03, 2011, 12:18:35 AM »
So... dreadlock has returned. I have two dozen fleets inbound to attack his outlying planets. This should be interesting...

How interesting, he returned just as Jahoren did, now I have several 200 cruiser fleets to worry about
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #925: October 03, 2011, 02:59:20 PM »
My current plan:

Deploy all available discretionary fleets to Airstrip 3. Upon arriving, scrap. Build 1 scout and 1 frigate at a time until a large enough sum of resources has accumulated and enough subspacers have been killed that I can build a fleet large enough to kill his subspacers... or just build PD.

What is the purpose of building both a scout and a frigate? To more efficiently waste resources?

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #926: October 03, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »
Okay, looks like dreadlock's return may have been a false alarm... he hasn't logged in for 2 days since his supposed comeback. I'm trying to get Adriddae to war him too just to be on the safe side 8)

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #927: October 03, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »
Okay, looks like dreadlock's return may have been a false alarm... he hasn't logged in for 2 days since his supposed comeback. I'm trying to get Adriddae to war him too just to be on the safe side 8)

Alright, I've logged into my old account there, built 19 superbattleships and 150 cruisers and sent them to attack.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #928: October 03, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
Oh boo, Hierulf took a planet I was about to land on. Oh well, shall go onwards to someone's colony near the centre and take that: 5368 people on a level 1 planet says "inactive" to me :P Then I can move that fleet up to the centre of the galaxy and boost the colony there.

Addridae, you might want to set that fleet you're sending against AntiMatter to "pirate". Your fleet seems to outnumber him by a bit, so if you're lucky, you'll gain a few extra ships for free :D

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #929: October 03, 2011, 05:28:40 PM »
Alright, I've logged into my old account there, built 19 superbattleships and 150 cruisers and sent them to attack.

Heh... I was expecting *some* assistance but this is just great  :o