Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529490 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #60: July 23, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »
I'm very near Kai and Nathan/Klingzog; Tom/Balanuir isn't too far away from us either.

We're all down 13-14 rings out from the center, southeast.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: July 23, 2011, 09:13:21 PM »
I got my turn email at 18:21 server time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #62: July 23, 2011, 10:31:50 PM »
Same here.

Hm, is it overkill if I have about 12 scouts and 4 arcs going out? :-)

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: July 23, 2011, 10:52:24 PM »
Same here.

Hm, is it overkill if I have about 12 scouts and 4 arcs going out? :-)

No its not overkill. The first thing I did was set up a scout perimeter. (The scouts have just reached my designated perimeter) but, having a lot of colony ships going off I think is good in the long run.

Btw, I'll update the list along with proximity groupings in a couple of hours. Thanks for whoever did the initial one. I was intending to do that, but have gotten sidetracked for time due to RL stuff. Will get to it all soon.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: July 23, 2011, 11:31:38 PM »
Kai, do you have any fleets going out? Being in an alliance with you I'm supposed to be able to see your fleets, but I don't see anything :(

If those of you near me want to send trade ships over, I'm selling all but rare resources.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: July 24, 2011, 12:48:55 AM »
Soooo...I have no life.  Thus I made this.  Because the map is clunky its hard to tell if I got my location correct and those that I put on it based on my location.  I did colored circles since we don't own the whole sector, but it might be easier to find eachother if I did color the whole sector?  Those of us on the map are in the bottom right area.  The rings are accurate as well as the splitting.  If you feel like putting yourself on it go ahead, just don't muck it up because it did take a little while to build even though it isn't pretty.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/squishymaster/DavesGalaxyLocations.jpg

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: July 24, 2011, 02:22:06 AM »
Wow Squishymaster, That is is really good. I'm not sure I would have had the thought or time to make that but it looks pretty useful.

I think for the sake of ability to actually find each other coloring a whole sector may be best for now. I doubt we'll have a giant influx of players from BM or anything so it shouldn't really be a big problem, of multiple players in a sector.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: July 24, 2011, 02:38:07 AM »
Kai, Nathan, and myself are a bit to the southwest of ya'll I believe.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: July 24, 2011, 04:05:25 AM »
Kai, do you have any fleets going out? Being in an alliance with you I'm supposed to be able to see your fleets, but I don't see anything :(

If those of you near me want to send trade ships over, I'm selling all but rare resources.
I have 2 arcs, 1 pirate and 1 attack fleet going out.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: July 24, 2011, 08:00:33 AM »
Assuming that ships travel by accelerating until the halfway point and then decelerating until the destination, the formula for travel is:

turns = square root ( 8 * total distance / acceleration )

For an arc, nighbouring planets will take about a week of travel whereas a 200 unit distance which some of us are making to the centre of the galaxy will take close to three months.

Also I want to exterminate everybody else so I'm not going to alliance with randoms.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:06:34 AM by Kai »

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: July 24, 2011, 12:33:59 PM »
I have 2 arcs, 1 pirate and 1 attack fleet going out.

Odd, I don't see them. Do you see my fleets? 4 arcs and a bunch of merchants?

Assuming that ships travel by accelerating until the halfway point and then decelerating until the destination

I'll be able to tell you at the turn change, one of my fleets crossed the halfway point.

My guess would be that for playability it just keeps increasing in speed. When you get close to an enemy planet you'd hate for it to slow to a crawl as soon as you're in sensor range.

EDIT: Seems I'm wrong, fleets do slow down when they get close to their destination:

Fleet #5942, 1 arc (5942) enroute -- distance = 1.70 speed = 0.00
Fleet #5942, 1 arc (5942) enroute -- distance = 1.40 speed = 0.30
Fleet #5942, 1 arc (5942) enroute -- distance = 0.80 speed = 0.60
Fleet #5942, 1 arc (5942) enroute -- distance = 0.50 speed = 0.30
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:40:00 PM by Nathan »

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: July 24, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »
Good god this game is slow.  Updated galaxy map to make it easier to see people by highlighting the whole sector they are in.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/squishymaster/DavesGalaxyLocations.jpg

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #72: July 24, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
I had several systems close by, my first scouts should reach their destinations tomorrow.

Hm, sending an arc far, far away to start an independent empire in the center? That sounds like an interesting idea.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: July 24, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
well.. my 1st 2 arcs should arrive tomorrow at the closest system..... haven't figured out how to allow trade with specific empires/etc..
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: July 24, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »
haven't figured out how to allow trade with specific empires/etc..

You can only do a generic "I let people trade". Go to "Manage" on one of your planets, then tick the "Allow Others to Trade Here" box and then set a tariff. People can then send trade ships to that planet. If you want to trade with someone, look around for a planet that allows trading and send a trade fleet there. From there, I think it's automatic - trade ship goes to their planet, then onwards to another trading planet, then eventually back to your planet with the profits.