Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529255 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #90: July 25, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »

Kai, do you want to work towards taking out carlwolcott? He's getting bigger each turn and I think we should work towards getting a fleet to take him down, making us the largest people in the immediate area. If you want to help, Vellos, that'd be nice but you're a little far away. Even though he's close enough to help, Tom's probably got a few other people to worry about since he's nestled in between a few large empires.

Yeah, ya'll go for carlwalcott. I'll try and take out these smaller ones; kipjaw, kd, kip. I think kip will be my first target once I've got a few colonies. I've already deployed subspacers to sit in some systems around him and watch. Also deployed scouts to watch kd's southern and eastern flanks.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #91: July 25, 2011, 01:15:50 AM »
Looking at our locations, we could jointly be maneuvering towards filling up our internal space. It has some empires in it, but at least the western half, south and slightly east of myself, has no massive empires; biggest looks to be jackdaniels. Long term, filling up that area so we can be back to back might be wise. Plus, once we're big enough, we can be hitting empires between us from multiple angles.

You mean take out KipJaw and kd916? Then move on to Kip (same person as KipJaw?) and uu60? That would certainly give us a quick boost. I could also move up to PeterKaan. But that still leaves carlwolcott and I certainly can't take him alone.

EDIT: Dang you're quick, 3 responses whilst I was replying...

Yeah, ya'll go for carlwalcott. I'll try and take out these smaller ones; kipjaw, kd, kip. I think kip will be my first target once I've got a few colonies.

Ok, he's got a few turns on me for growth, but if I make a few smaller fleets I think I can slip through and take out his main planet. Once there, I can move outwards to his other planets. If Kai was to do the same, I think we can outnumber him.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:18:15 AM by Nathan »

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #92: July 25, 2011, 01:18:21 AM »
No, I mean longterm all of us from BM can fill in the southeastern quadrant between us: fortify borders but be sending colony ships inwards. Tactically weaken those on the outsider, but long-term expansion focusing inwards.

And I've wondered about Kip/KipJaw. Hence why I'm going to knock out Kip ASAP. Building one more Arc on my home planet, then going to spend a few turns building military fleets while other planets construct things.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #93: July 25, 2011, 01:29:22 AM »
I think next turn I'll build a Carrier (or two) with as many Fighters as I can and take out PeterKaan. Might mix in a few other ships depending on my resources. That'll give me another planet to build ships from and then I'll move in on carlwolcott.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #94: July 25, 2011, 01:32:40 AM »
Looks like Vistuvis is the only one who is anywhere near me atm... From his position, I'm six squares to the left, then two down.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #95: July 25, 2011, 01:36:17 AM »
I think next turn I'll build a Carrier (or two) with as many Fighters as I can and take out PeterKaan. Might mix in a few other ships depending on my resources. That'll give me another planet to build ships from and then I'll move in on carlwolcott.

That was exactly the strategy I was contemplating for Kip. Except I was going to toss in a few frigates or cruisers as "damage shields" so I don't lose my carrier.

How many fighters does a carrier hold?

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #96: July 25, 2011, 01:40:27 AM »
Looks like Vistuvis is the only one who is anywhere near me atm... From his position, I'm six squares to the left, then two down.

Added you to the map Sacha. Yeah, you're way out there.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd457/HiddenAmala/DavesGalaxyLocations-4.jpg

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #97: July 25, 2011, 01:48:05 AM »

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #98: July 25, 2011, 01:55:26 AM »
Also, I don't mean to spam, but I just took a spin through the other quadrants....

They're totally empty. Virtually all of the current players are in the southeast quadrant. I am increasingly fond of the idea of sending a colony ship on a marathon... but the center of the galaxy is too obvious. Lots of people look there. Somewhere in the southwest quadrant seems like a better plan to me, if we want to develop a citadel somewhere.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #99: July 25, 2011, 02:09:18 AM »
If most people are spawning in the SE corner of the map wouldn't it be better to go for the NW corner?

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #100: July 25, 2011, 02:57:54 AM »
Yes, but it would take much longer as well.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #101: July 25, 2011, 03:53:16 AM »
Kai, do you want to work towards taking out carlwolcott? He's getting bigger each turn and I think we should work towards getting a fleet to take him down, making us the largest people in the immediate area. If you want to help, Vellos, that'd be nice but you're a little far away. Even though he's close enough to help, Tom's probably got a few other people to worry about since he's nestled in between a few large empires.
Wait until your arc to the centre gets past him before declaring war. This will also be enough time to get slingshot upgrade so expand and attack the smaller neighbour until then. I have a frigate fleet going to uu60.

Also, I don't mean to spam, but I just took a spin through the other quadrants....

They're totally empty. Virtually all of the current players are in the southeast quadrant. I am increasingly fond of the idea of sending a colony ship on a marathon... but the center of the galaxy is too obvious. Lots of people look there. Somewhere in the southwest quadrant seems like a better plan to me, if we want to develop a citadel somewhere.
The galactic centre has much higher planet density. Going to one of the corners defeats hte purpose and you might as well stay at home.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #102: July 25, 2011, 04:39:17 AM »
The galactic centre has much higher planet density. Going to one of the corners defeats hte purpose and you might as well stay at home.

But don't you think other players will at least occasionally look at the galactic center? And when they see it being colonized, don't you think they'll send colonies as well? It's basically a prisoner's dilemma. If only we move for the core, we'll prosper. But if that incites a broader race to the core, we gain very little. I believe the probability of such a race is fairly high given the obviousness of the core, and the appeal of many close planets.

The other quadrants are less likely to draw attention. Moreover, being larger, the probability of conflict erupting over a strategic region declines. Thus, the probability of us finding a dominant strategy seems higher in other quadrants. Plus, other quadrants will gradually "spawn" with new players... who we can poach, gaining strength at a greater rate. While new players appear, we can eat them one by one. I doubt the core will ever spawn players, so won't have that advantage.

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #103: July 25, 2011, 04:41:34 AM »
Wow, I wish I was as close to the center of the galaxy as you folks. I essentially started on the outer rim of colonized space it seems. (Or at least should have kept my idea back for another week or two, heh).

Yes, our little side of the galaxy has a nice set of some empires right near us, including multiples of the top "30" in the game. We don't really have much expansion room, and I think overall fighting in this game is going to be more difficult than you think, assuming the defending empire is smart. With a couple scout screens, then can see any fleets going to take out their center planet and just build defenses in the "days" that it takes to reach it since then.

idk, it'll be very interesting to say the least. At least with my position though I think mass trade fleets may be the better option early on.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #104: July 25, 2011, 06:39:51 AM »
But don't you think other players will at least occasionally look at the galactic center? And when they see it being colonized, don't you think they'll send colonies as well? It's basically a prisoner's dilemma. If only we move for the core, we'll prosper. But if that incites a broader race to the core, we gain very little. I believe the probability of such a race is fairly high given the obviousness of the core, and the appeal of many close planets.

The other quadrants are less likely to draw attention. Moreover, being larger, the probability of conflict erupting over a strategic region declines. Thus, the probability of us finding a dominant strategy seems higher in other quadrants. Plus, other quadrants will gradually "spawn" with new players... who we can poach, gaining strength at a greater rate. While new players appear, we can eat them one by one. I doubt the core will ever spawn players, so won't have that advantage.
By the time they see a planet colonised they will be 2 months behind. This means we may also be 2 months behind right now.

Anyway ... just send 1 arc to the centre and 1 to the edge if you want to. Nobody is stopping you.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:43:10 AM by Kai »