Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 534328 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #180: July 29, 2011, 03:17:33 AM »
Don't you think you have enough allies already with the entirety of battlemaster forums? Honestly if we go around capturing all the noobs and allying with all the big guys, there is nothing left to do.

What's more, allying with such a large neighbour is more like 'protectorate', or bitch-state.

Oh and here's an idea: his ships are destroyers, acc 0.32, cruisers have a chance to overtake or engage him.

Do you ever say anything that isn't negative? I think every comment from you has been negative.

Yes, I could attack his destroyers, maybe, from behind, and, maybe, I could defeat them. They are already going fairly fast, but maybe, I'm not sure (and I don't see a calculator anywhere that would show me). I might beat him in that fight.

But hello, he's way bigger than me. He's been quite polite in my messages to him. And, as an ally, I can see all of his ships... which I believe is useful. Sure, he can see mine too: so what? He's much bigger than me, so me seeing his ships has a greater value than him seeing my ships. Especially given that he doesn't know there is a BM-alliance scattered all around the quadrant, so, in effect, he will be broadcasting all of his moves to about a dozen different players.

More importantly, if I attack him after having just gotten peace, I may piss him off, and he'll send a couple battleships and destroy me. Not exactly what I want.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #181: July 29, 2011, 03:21:45 AM »
Also, tell me if this is stupid:
You accelerate until halfway to destination, then slow down the second half.

So why not select a destination twice as far away, then change your destination on the last turn? Wouldn't that get you there faster?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #182: July 29, 2011, 03:29:14 AM »
Do you ever say anything that isn't negative? I think every comment from you has been negative.
Do you ever say anything that's not about clinging to other people's coat tails and refusing to think and stand for yourself?

Yes, I could attack his destroyers, maybe, from behind, and, maybe, I could defeat them. They are already going fairly fast, but maybe, I'm not sure (and I don't see a calculator anywhere that would show me). I might beat him in that fight.

But hello, he's way bigger than me. He's been quite polite in my messages to him. And, as an ally, I can see all of his ships... which I believe is useful. Sure, he can see mine too: so what? He's much bigger than me, so me seeing his ships has a greater value than him seeing my ships. Especially given that he doesn't know there is a BM-alliance scattered all around the quadrant, so, in effect, he will be broadcasting all of his moves to about a dozen different players.
Seeing all his ships is useful? I heard water is also wet. That's not the point of an alliance. Seeing ships in an alliance is to facilitate strategic cooperation. Allying with such a large neighbour ensures a one-sided relationship where you are (one of) his bitch(es).

More importantly, if I attack him after having just gotten peace, I may piss him off, and he'll send a couple battleships and destroy me. Not exactly what I want.
This reminds me of the behaviour of numerous sniveling characters.

So why not select a destination twice as far away, then change your destination on the last turn? Wouldn't that get you there faster?
Why don't you test it, cause I am.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:31:22 AM by Kai »

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #183: July 29, 2011, 03:57:42 AM »
Why don't you test it, cause I am.

I also am, in fact. Hence the subspacers launching well beyond Kip's planet.

As to the rest of the comment... I don't exactly know where the chip on your shoulder came from nor if it's directed at me specifically, or if you're just generally an ass by nature. But I confess I am curious.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #184: July 29, 2011, 04:16:33 AM »
I tried this out with an arc. Sent it to a planet about twice the distance as my intended target, almost on the same line. Seems to be working nicely. I just make a little turn to the right for the final approach and bam, quick colony. Or quicker at least. You gotta keep track of your ships though, before you know it they'll be way the hell off course.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #185: July 29, 2011, 05:24:44 AM »
It is possible to send fleets to arbitrary coordinates.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #186: July 29, 2011, 07:26:54 AM »

surely you can't decelerate fast enough to stop? i mean... you can only decelerate as fast as you accelerate and so how could it work?
firefox

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: July 29, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »
surely you can't decelerate fast enough to stop? i mean... you can only decelerate as fast as you accelerate and so how could it work?

Well, probably this is an unintended exploit whereby you can get around deceleration by "cheating it" through overshooting a planet and then turning around.

I personally really like the feature where you speed up for the first half and then slow down for the second half. It is very very realistic as to how spacetravel would work if we didn't have warp engines or something. Even if we did, acceleration would likely play a huge role.

I feel kind of bad if I were to take advantage of this obvious exploit. (although I see no viable way to fix it, at all). Thinking of posting it to the Dave's forums to let him know about it.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: July 29, 2011, 11:14:31 AM »
well. i suppose it can work for an arc if it does a crash landing XD (and kill everything else on the planet?)

incidentally.. the more arc you send, the more of everything (steel, etc) you get in the planet/system, not just pop.
firefox

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #189: July 29, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »
Well, probably this is an unintended exploit whereby you can get around deceleration by "cheating it" through overshooting a planet and then turning around.

I personally really like the feature where you speed up for the first half and then slow down for the second half. It is very very realistic as to how spacetravel would work if we didn't have warp engines or something. Even if we did, acceleration would likely play a huge role.

I feel kind of bad if I were to take advantage of this obvious exploit. (although I see no viable way to fix it, at all). Thinking of posting it to the Dave's forums to let him know about it.
Come on, keep it in the battlemaster team for now. We're so far behind anyway.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #190: July 29, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »
Umm... Did the turn come early? I got my turn report at 1:10, which is apparently the same time I always get it (according to my email client), but the game still says there's a few minutes left this turn.

Just set myself up a nice Blackbird perimeter. For now it intersects with Kai's scout perimeter, but once everyone is in position I'll move a few of them around so that me and Kai don't have any overlapping scouts.

Does anyone know how much of a boost a planet gets when production is "above average"? I found myself a planet with above average food production.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:00:43 PM by Nathan »

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #191: July 29, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »
Question: if a planet isn't listed as trading to players, is it pointless to send merchant ships there?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: July 29, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
not necessarily, the merchant will head itself off to the next trading planet (no clue how big the range is)
------
scared me to death suddenly seeing kingdante's ships and all... thought there a bug that reveals everything XD.. but no.. alliance offer accepted.

which reminds me.. shouldn't it have lapsed after not being accepted for days? (or is the limit just long?)
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #193: July 29, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »
not necessarily, the merchant will head itself off to the next trading planet (no clue how big the range is)

Still usually better to send it somewhere they can buy stuff, that way no time is wasted.

scared me to death suddenly seeing kingdante's ships and all... thought there a bug that reveals everything XD.. but no.. alliance offer accepted.

which reminds me.. shouldn't it have lapsed after not being accepted for days? (or is the limit just long?)

He might have accepted as soon as you sent the request, but the bug was only fixed last turn so you'd never know if you were allies or not.

Anyone else think alliance declarations need a bit of fixing? I send a request off to someone, then I always get a request back. Seems odd since if I've requested it I shouldn't have to be asked if I want the alliance. When I click the link to accept their request I don't get any feedback from it, so I don't even know if the alliance has been formed until the turn ticks over.

Can you request alliances by sending fleets near to someone? Thinking I might send a scout over to Tom and De-Legro if it means I can get an alliance with them.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #194: July 29, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
pretty sure he didn't accept right away (must have been 3 or whatever days ago.. mind you, no time stamps on the messages). though it's not impossible to have been accepted before today.

i did it via the neighbour interface... haven't sent any fleet to anyone

---
i opened a tab then logged in and and opened demo on another page.... for a minute i thought demo was showing all mine and kingdante's stuff XD
firefox