Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529177 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #225: July 31, 2011, 03:31:21 PM »
It seems that as with most online games new players cannot compete with old ones in this game.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #226: July 31, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »
Unfortunately it does seem that way, however, I believe there is a system in the game that prevents older players from attacking people too far below them in the rankings.

I'm reposting this because I don't want it to get lost on the old page:

So I got planetary defenses available on my home planet and my society level is 61, so perhaps it shows at 60?  I also have 7 planets total if that factors in as well.  I have not seen an option to combine fleets into one do we know if this is possible?  Or do we have dissolve two fleets get the full resources back and then build a new fleet at a planet where they are then together?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #227: July 31, 2011, 04:12:54 PM »
It seems that as with most online games new players cannot compete with old ones in this game.

How so?

So I got planetary defenses available on my home planet and my society level is 61, so perhaps it shows at 60?

Probably. My home planet is level 61 too and I can get Planetary Defence. Anyone know how it works?

I have not seen an option to combine fleets into one do we know if this is possible?  Or do we have dissolve two fleets get the full resources back and then build a new fleet at a planet where they are then together?

I'm not quite sure if scrapping a fleet after the turn it's been built will give you the full resources back. You could build a scout this turn, leave it at your home planet and then scrap it next turn to see. That's presuming you're in no rush to combine the fleets you already have.

Seems the Cruiser that was heading to my planet overshot. It was right next to my planet last turn, now it's on the other side and a fair way away. I didn't get a report about an attack, so I'm presuming it's the same Cruiser.

My level 8 colony has finally started producing steel! I get a whole 1 steel next turn from it! :D It's still using up antimatter though, so I won't be able to build an arc from it for a while.

I'm going to try a little experiment. I'm going to wait a turn before building anything, giving me around 30k steel. I'll build 3 arcs, sending 2 to one planet and 1 to another (both equal distance away so they arrive the same turn). I'll see how much of a boost doubling the arcs gives the planet. If it starts producing things much quicker then it might be worth while using more than 1 arc to colonise planets in the future.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #228: July 31, 2011, 05:45:03 PM »
Unfortunately it does seem that way, however, I believe there is a system in the game that prevents older players from attacking people too far below them in the rankings.
There isn't.

Even if there was, I don't see the appeal of being underclass.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #229: July 31, 2011, 08:10:37 PM »
I think I've figured out why ships "overshoot."

Acceleration, as we all know, is not only "increasing velocity" but actually "change in velocity." If you set a super-long distance route to try and exploit the acceleration (like we have all been experimenting with), your ship will not be able to decelerate to "hit" the planet. Thus, you will overshoot the planet. This could happen, I guess, any time you change course at all. I think you'd still fight any ships in your path, but probably not be able to land on a planet.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #230: July 31, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »
Ah, also, Nathan:

Your Blackbird ring is beautiful.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #231: July 31, 2011, 08:30:47 PM »

My level 8 colony has finally started producing steel! I get a whole 1 steel next turn from it! :D It's still using up antimatter though, so I won't be able to build an arc from it for a while.

The production chart can be found under the "Help" menu, the resource chart.

It indicates that most resource production begins in the 20-50 society level range.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #232: July 31, 2011, 10:51:33 PM »
Ah, also, Nathan:

Your Blackbird ring is beautiful.

Thank you, it's modern art :P

The production chart can be found under the "Help" menu, the resource chart.

It indicates that most resource production begins in the 20-50 society level range.

Cheers, I didn't really understand that chart. According to it, I should have gained anti-matter for a bit before it flat lining (but I haven't gained any at all). Also, steel production looks like it should have started immediately and my hydrocarbon production should be much higher than it is now. Maybe it's based off old figures?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #233: July 31, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
I think I've figured out why ships "overshoot."

Acceleration, as we all know, is not only "increasing velocity" but actually "change in velocity." If you set a super-long distance route to try and exploit the acceleration (like we have all been experimenting with), your ship will not be able to decelerate to "hit" the planet. Thus, you will overshoot the planet. This could happen, I guess, any time you change course at all. I think you'd still fight any ships in your path, but probably not be able to land on a planet.

I have 2 arcs that overshot without me changing the target as far as I can remember. So it may also be !@#$ty piloting. :-)

I have a hunch that it does not calculate fractional acc/dec - so every turn, it checks if it should accelerate or decelerate, but it doesn't take into account that the halfway point isn't precisely on the turn.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #234: August 01, 2011, 01:06:27 AM »
Cheers, I didn't really understand that chart. According to it, I should have gained anti-matter for a bit before it flat lining (but I haven't gained any at all). Also, steel production looks like it should have started immediately and my hydrocarbon production should be much higher than it is now. Maybe it's based off old figures?

hmmm.... I thought I understood the graph... now I'm not so sure.

It is accurate for population, or at least seems to be. And thus far seems accurate for hydrocarbons. Unobtanium and krellmetal should be right as well; they don't appear until matter synths are built. The graph looks right for food too. Antimatter's slope looks correct (new antimatter should begin to be produced around 20 society level), but it seems to be at the wrong threshold. I think many of the units are screwy on the graph, but the slopes are right. I don't understand the collapse of quatloos that the graph shows... nor the collapse of steel... quatloos should show a slow but steady growth from taxes... unless it's measuring "gross economic output" rather than "tax revenues," which is entirely possible, but makes it nearly useless for game purposes.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #235: August 01, 2011, 01:07:11 AM »
I have 2 arcs that overshot without me changing the target as far as I can remember. So it may also be !@#$ty piloting. :-)

I have a hunch that it does not calculate fractional acc/dec - so every turn, it checks if it should accelerate or decelerate, but it doesn't take into account that the halfway point isn't precisely on the turn.

That may also be the case... but I've seen some seriously massive overshooting as well, and it's pretty pervasive.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #236: August 01, 2011, 05:32:37 PM »
I just noticed that if you click on the "neighbours" tab and then the "i" next to a person's name, it tells you when they were last online. Turns out Adanedhel hasn't been online in a while, so Tom and De-Legro can easily pick at his planets :)

How are you guys in the south getting on?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #237: August 01, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
Hm, thanks. I guess I'll send in a fleet or two.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #238: August 01, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »
good tip that... apparently some dude called jeffer (straight west from kingdante) with 21 planets hasn't been online for 5 days.

similarly zhais with 1 planet hasn't been on either... though someone is already taking care of that! XD

i have no close neighbours apart from dave. i hope no one has sent anything my way on a long trip! i'm just pumping out arcs
firefox

egamma

« Reply #239: August 01, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »
I've sent out a ton of merchant men, I only built my 3rd arc this turn. but I'm spreading them out so that when the new colonies start building, they will have several planets close to them to colonize.

princesswalnut, 30 planets, inactive for 30 days--I may work my way over there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:20:39 PM by egamma »