Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 534233 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #255: August 03, 2011, 07:20:34 AM »
wait... .. new player? who? can't be de-legro surely? he's listed under another account name in the 1st post...
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #256: August 03, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »
Cadfan is a player from Arcaea, who also happens to be my RL brother. So far he hasn't been all that impressed with Dave's Galaxy, so we will just have to see if he sticks around.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #257: August 03, 2011, 07:43:30 AM »
ok... i made a couple of subspacers (i think) to send near him already.. XD whenever it gets there...
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #258: August 03, 2011, 07:53:15 AM »
ok... i made a couple of subspacers (i think) to send near him already.. XD whenever it gets there...

And he has a fleet of cruisers :) You should see some of his fleets rush past your area in the next few days, he wants to try and make a grab for some player he thinks are inactive.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #259: August 03, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »
The culture of new and inactive players being the most valuable prizes is extremely unhealthy for any game.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #260: August 03, 2011, 08:01:43 AM »
The culture of new and inactive players being the most valuable prizes is extremely unhealthy for any game.

Unless you want a game of ultra competitive elite players that prey on newbs. Since in commercial games it is this class of player that actually buys the in game advantages most, it can be quite advantageous to pander to them, at least in the short to medium term :)

Dave is working on the planetary assault system, I believe he has ideas that might change the fact that new players are such juicy targets.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #261: August 03, 2011, 08:02:12 AM »
i'll stick him an alliance notice or something when it pops up.
firefox

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #262: August 03, 2011, 04:29:15 PM »
Unless you want a game of ultra competitive elite players that prey on newbs. Since in commercial games it is this class of player that actually buys the in game advantages most, it can be quite advantageous to pander to them, at least in the short to medium term :)
duh

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #263: August 03, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »
I appear to have lost a fleet... I had 3 going to PeterKaan. One I diverted to one of his colonies, the other two went on to his home planet. One of the two heading to his home planet has disappeared, turn report doesn't say it's landed, fleet tab says it still exists. But it's not on the map. The sensor circle makes it look like it landed, but the lack of combat report and the fleet tab/turn report saying it's still moving has me confused >.<

I can also now request an alliance with Tom. It took 14 turns, but the guys that run around handing bits of formal paper to other species has finally found him :P

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #264: August 03, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »
Just tried registering to see what the fuss was about, and all I see is a black screen.  None of the menus seem to work, and it just looks completely broken.  Is it down at the moment?

Edit(psy): Worked it out.  The game appears not to be compatible with Opera browser, which is a bit lousy since Opera is so good.  I don't mind Tom making his game incompatible with IE because IE is awful, but not compatible with my favourite Opera?  *sticks tongue out at Dave*

Name:   Spherical Whatsit
Owner:   psymann

At first sight, this looks like a big map of people who got here long before me and started building frightening-sized empires not far away from me.  And that feels rather like Tribal Wars, which scares me.  And then it looks as if the longer you play, the more colonies you get, and the longer it takes to manage them all, making the game seem lightweight to start, and then take ages in, say, six months' time.  And that feels rather like Tribal Wars, which scares me.  Please say it isn't so ;-)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:32:21 PM by psymann »

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265: August 03, 2011, 09:13:05 PM »
Regrettably I don't have the time to join this...I fear I would get sucked in, and battlemaster alone is bad enough ;)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #266: August 03, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »
Edit(psy): Worked it out.  The game appears not to be compatible with Opera browser, which is a bit lousy since Opera is so good.  I don't mind Tom making his game incompatible with IE because IE is awful, but not compatible with my favourite Opera?  *sticks tongue out at Dave*

That's odd, maybe you could drop Dave an email and let him know? I'm sure he wouldn't mind since it's a real browser and not some silly thing just thrown together :P

See the purple guy above you? That's Lorduck (same name here and there). Go down a little, past the big empire, see the orange-brown guy (vistuvis)? That's Adriddae.

At first sight, this looks like a big map of people who got here long before me and started building frightening-sized empires not far away from me.  And that feels rather like Tribal Wars, which scares me.  And then it looks as if the longer you play, the more colonies you get, and the longer it takes to manage them all, making the game seem lightweight to start, and then take ages in, say, six months' time.  And that feels rather like Tribal Wars, which scares me.  Please say it isn't so ;-)

"it isn't so". But it is. Kinda. I wouldn't imagine it takes that long to manage everything once you get a larger empire, but without time travel I can't say for certain.

EDIT: Bad Bael! You have to join us! JOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Also, you get Long Range Sensors 1 at society level 11. I'm building it now, so I'll let you all know when you can first get Sensors 2.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:21:50 PM by Nathan »

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #267: August 03, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »
Watch out for drugsmrgarrison(the big light blue empire above me), he seems pretty aggressive. He has been conquering lots of planets lately.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #268: August 04, 2011, 02:07:10 AM »
Just tried registering to see what the fuss was about, and all I see is a black screen.  None of the menus seem to work, and it just looks completely broken.  Is it down at the moment?

Dave tests the game in Firefox and Chrome only. Since it uses SVG, HTML and Javascript it SHOULD be mostly compatible with browsers that implement the standards correctly. If it is only displaying a blank page, I would suspect it is something to do with Opera's SVG implementation.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #269: August 04, 2011, 03:38:14 AM »
For gods sake Vellos prove your worth and evict Oldry.

Kai, there's very little I can do.

For what it's worth, however, Oldry's 28 destroyers, as we can all see, are headed west to kd916. I may be able to muster a fleet that can beat him there; I'll see what I can do.

darklatiz has 17 destroyers, 2 blackbirds, and 2 cruisers on their way to Pi Circax. They should be able to conquer the planet, but won't be able to catch up to Oldry's fleet of 28 destroyers.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner