Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529071 times)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #360: August 10, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »
Since I'm being boxed in by all these big players, and drugsmrgarrison had started attacking me with 100 cruiser fleets, I've decided to restarted. Conveniently, I've spawned above the area of Klingzog and Masdus.

Welcome to the awesome part of space! Be sure to pick up your complimentary war and have fun! :D

You're really far out though, quite odd you started there :S

Given that my position is so terribly terrible, would you recommend restarting and hoping for a better position?

Might be worth a try, if you end up with another bad position then you can always just go back to your old account. As far as I'm aware, you can't delete accounts so it'll still be there waiting for you :)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #361: August 10, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »
Restarted, name of Norrel at (1691.1,1679.0 ).
How do I use the co-ords in order to move my camera somewhere? Do I actually need to drag it all the way to the co-ordinated place?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #362: August 10, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »
Restarted, name of Norrel at (1691.1,1679.0 ).

Welcome to the awesome part of space! Be sure to pick up your complimentary war and have fun! Please form an orderly queue with those in front of you! :D

To the west is me (pink) and Kai (light blue). East is Tom (blue). North is Adriddae (green). North-east is De-Legro (grey-green). South-west is Vellos (dark blue).

How do I use the co-ords in order to move my camera somewhere? Do I actually need to drag it all the way to the co-ordinated place?

Yeah, you need to drag your camera around. I'd be surprised if a "snap to" feature isn't something Dave is working on.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #363: August 10, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
Who are some good targets in this area who aren't already getting destroyed and aren't affiliated with us in any way?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #364: August 10, 2011, 02:36:13 PM »
Who are some good targets in this area who aren't already getting destroyed and aren't affiliated with us in any way?

I think Adanedhel (north-east of you) is still inactive, but I can't see him in my neighbours tab. I'm sure De-Legro & Tom won't mind sharing a few planets with you :P

carlwolcott (east) is active, but Kai is at war with him. I'm sure Kai wouldn't mind a bit of help though since he is tied up a little with a few other people. You can also take the long journey south to take one of those scattered empires that are below Vellos.

You can also help out with PeterKaan (north of me) if you want. De-Legro is already sending over a few Subspacers but I think they'll get killed. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get fleets over in time though as mine should be up there again soon, but you're welcome to try. If they don't get there in time, you can always camp there and then move on to carlwolcott :)

You're probably better off spending most of your resources on arcs though. You're in a pretty good position with a lot of planets that can be encompassed by Planetary Defence so I'd say get all the planets that are a little far out (anything under 4 distance from your home planet can be encompassed by it). That way when you're able to get PD you'll have fairly well developed planets with a large sensor range to detect anyone entering your space :) When sending out arcs, I'd suggest 2/3 per fleet if possible. That will give you more people on the planet and therefore more resources in the future from that planet.

Update on PeterKaan, he killed the rest of my Subspacers with no damage to his Cruisers. So he has 7 Cruisers sat there and will likely build more to fight back at me :(

Also, my Planetary Defence has gone offline. Not sure why because I'm not running a budget deficit. Does the defence ring around my planet show up to you guys? I'm thinking it might just activate when enemy fleets are nearby.

EDIT: I'm going to be away after tomorrow's turn, so don't worry when you don't see fleets coming from my planet :P I'm going to miss the Friday-Saturday & Saturday-Sunday turns. Might miss the Sunday-Monday turn (depends if I get an early train home or not), but won't miss Monday-Tuesday turn, so I shouldn't miss any society level gains (I think that kicks in after 3 turns away).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:46:41 PM by Nathan »

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #365: August 10, 2011, 02:42:34 PM »
Started playing this game with the name Fulco, I guess im located at (1751.0,1716.9 )

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #366: August 10, 2011, 03:01:54 PM »
Started playing this game with the name Fulco, I guess im located at (1751.0,1716.9 )

Found you! You're not too far away from the big bulk of us. If you look to your west you see Adanedhel, last time I checked he was inactive so you should be able to loot something (check on your neighbours tab to be sure he is still inactive). However, be careful of the Planetary Defence system he has as they can kill your fleet before they even get to his planet.

I'd get in contact with the two big guys near you and ask them not to kill you. Flyingmana is a nice guy, he moved his fleet away from my planet when I asked him to. I've not talked to jahroen though. They might even be able to give you advice on how to take out Adanedhel's planets because they'll want as many people as possible to chip away at his empire before he comes back online.

If you go further to the west you'll see a dark blue empire, that's Vellos (a few of us are north of him). If you ask nicely, he might help you take a planet around there :)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #367: August 10, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
Not sure if Vellos is even playing anymore.

Nathan make sure you're using the colony steel for trade ships not the main planet steel.

Is there an efficient way to distribute the home planet population?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:35:34 PM by Kai »

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #368: August 10, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
Not sure if Vellos is even playing anymore.

Neighbours tab says he logged in yesterday, so I presume he is.

Nathan make sure you're using the colony steel for trade ships not the main planet steel.

I didn't want to take any people away from my colonies, it's a noticeable % away from their population at the moment which might be noticeable later down the line. I also need my trade ships to bring profit to my home planet so that I can keep my Quatloos up there instead of the colonies so I can build Subspacers. Finally, if my trade ships bring back steel I want it to be brought back to my home planet and not the colonies (so I can actually make use of it).

Is there an efficient way to distribute the home planet population?

How do you mean? Like making sure you don't use more than you gain per turn on ships?

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #369: August 10, 2011, 04:43:39 PM »
The Quatloo gain is insignificant. Bulkfreighters only take 20 people and even a fresh 500 colony will gain 59 in the first turn. The 2500 steel hurts your war or colonisation fleet much more than 20 people hurts a colony.

By distributing the home planet population, I will mean that if you are perceptive you will see that both of our populations are fairly steady at 16mil. I want to know if theres a good way to push this excess to colonies.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #370: August 10, 2011, 08:22:17 PM »
.. hmmm... not quite sure how ship building works for linked systems..

it tells you how much there is locally and how much there is in total in linked areas.... and then just take the stuff locally..

question is, does resource average out amongst the system the turn after?

oh... and building arcs from colonies.... watch out for -ve budget.. beats me what happens after that (i've almost trebled the taxes on that tiny system just in case it goes -ve..)
firefox

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #371: August 11, 2011, 04:21:32 AM »
Resources are probably only transferred when planetary ones are exceeded.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #372: August 11, 2011, 04:26:09 AM »
Resources are probably only transferred when planetary ones are exceeded.

That is my understanding, it allows you to make use of linked planets resources, since the "trade" of goods between linked planets is instantaneous. In other words large planets with lots of links make very good fleet building planets. Its not a part of the game I really like, but that might be because I have no links. The chance of a link increases as star density decreases, so I assume it is to counter the disadvantage you encounter with a empire in an area of scattered stars.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #373: August 11, 2011, 06:50:55 AM »
I have one of the lowest star densities around and no links.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #374: August 11, 2011, 06:54:13 AM »
I have one of the lowest star densities around and no links.

yeah the random factor for links can really suck
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.