Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 534533 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #450: August 16, 2011, 03:54:15 PM »
I'm west of a guy named JackDaniels. His empire fills my entire screen on minimal zoom, and it's gold-ish.

Could someone explain tax and tariff, please?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #451: August 16, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »
1671.1,1776.0 !

Found you. If you look to your south-east you'll see a large-ish purple empire, that'd Lorduck from our forum. To the left of Lorduck is Gnarf (light blue), we don't know him and he looks inactive (level 52 home planet, but a colony quite far away at level 1) so send a large fleet at him and take the home planet :D

I'm west of a guy named JackDaniels. His empire fills my entire screen on minimal zoom, and it's gold-ish.

I don't think anyone has had trouble with him, so he might leave you alone. You could make a small scout/blackbird perimeter and watch out for him attacking you, then ask him kindly not to.

Could someone explain tax and tariff, please?

Tax brings in Quatloos to your planet, but I think it stunts growth (otherwise, why would you have a low tax rate?). Tariff taxes people who trade at your planet, a high tariff means you make a lot from your goods but means it's less likely people will trade there - I'm purposely keeping mine low so that Kai, Vellos, etc can get a decent deal from my planet (still makes me a decent amount of money), but if I was on my own I'd probably have a fairly high tariff rate to abuse everyone around me :P

Speaking of trading, everyone near me are welcome to send merchants to my home planet. Kai is the only one close enough to do it regularly (with maybe the exception of Norrel [I forget who that is on here]), but in the long run it's probably worth it since we're all quite closed in with nobody to properly threaten our merchants.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #452: August 16, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »
Cool :)
Any idea of what my fleet attacking Gnarf should be composed of? Or how to find out?
If you send a fleet on a piracy mission, will the victims know where the pirates came from?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #453: August 16, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
trading is weird...

i have a planet with around 50 q
i have a merchant who went there and sold 2.5kq worth of stuff and then bought 1 unobtainium for 20kq only thing is that the planet should have none of that stuff and now the planet has 20kq.

eh.. so it's like, the planet has no money to buy the stuff and has no product to sell either... but it traded.. XD (and now everyone who read dave's messages will know)
firefox

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #454: August 16, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »

Speaking of trading, everyone near me are welcome to send merchants to my home planet. Kai is the only one close enough to do it regularly (with maybe the exception of Norrel [I forget who that is on here]), but in the long run it's probably worth it since we're all quite closed in with nobody to properly threaten our merchants.

hi
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #455: August 16, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »
Just FYI, I'm allied with sirgumby to take out a player called killallhumans. Anyone attacking sirgumby will be considered as attacking me.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #456: August 16, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »
hi

Hi! I just noticed you have open trading, so I'll send a few merchants over when I have spare resources - one of my existing ones may even make its way over there automatically. I also noticed Tom has something camped on your home planet (a scout, I think) which makes me think he doesn't realise who you are. You might want to send him an alliance offer mentioning BattleMaster in case he gets the wrong idea :P

Does anyone know the advantages of having large merchant fleets? At the moment I've got 8 single Merchantman fleets, but I'm thinking of making one fleet of 8 Merchantmen. But since there only seems to be the disadvantage of being able to take out 8 of my ships in one go instead of just 1, I'm a little dubious about doing it.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #457: August 16, 2011, 05:13:53 PM »
...i only just noticed having merchants is a "good" way of balancing your budget... because the upkeep gives you money.

so every colony now has a couple of merchants heading to the homeworld... what happens after that... beats me.
firefox

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #458: August 16, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »
the game could use a good manual :P

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #459: August 16, 2011, 05:41:45 PM »
It's actually quite simple, once you get the hang of the interface. Build arc, send to planet. Send out fleets. So on and so forth.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #460: August 16, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »
Vellos, I just noticed you've taken someone's home planet, congratulations. But what's with the low population count? 1,059,731 compared to 16,782,600 on a planet of the same level (Oldry's one above you).

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #461: August 16, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »
Probably from the casualties which resulted from his conquest, especially if there was fleet defending it.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #462: August 16, 2011, 10:33:18 PM »
Adanedhel got there at the same time I did with 10 cruisers.

I killed his cruisers. But I also killed about 40 million civilians apparently.

Oh, also, I built about... 15 arcs and 10 super battleships. Now sure what effect that had on population?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #463: August 16, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Every ship requires population to build, so those might have had a temporary effect.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #464: August 17, 2011, 03:14:13 AM »
Woops, PeterKaan is attacking you.

Your new conquest south of Darklatiz, the planet with the 3 links. PeterKaan has 3 cruisers on their way, maybe 3 or 4 days out.

Drats and the damn game site is down.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.