Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 534515 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #480: August 18, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »
For the curious:

I currently have total forces of 1417/482 deployed against Pi Circax, one of Oldry's planets, that has a defense force of 1582/452.

I should be able to add 100-200 more attack each turn, and my planet's production is significantly more than his.

Based on where my fleets are now, I should have enough forces on hand to make my initial assault in about 3-4 days.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:20:29 PM by Vellos »
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #481: August 18, 2011, 04:21:44 PM »
One big fleet kills several smaller fleets so it might be best to delay the attack slightly and join them up at a planet.

http://groups.google.com/group/daves-galaxy/browse_thread/thread/2778f18d78b276f

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #482: August 18, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »
I currently have total forces of 1417/482 deployed against Pi Circax, one of Oldry's planets, that has a defense force of 1582/452.

Wouldn't you want to go for Xi Monotes since that has a much larger population? Also, be careful. All his force is in a single fleet, whereas yours is broken up which may reduce your combat effectiveness quite a bit. Not sure by how much, since I'd guess you'll just keep chipping away at his force until it's all dead, but felt I'd warn you just in case. Also, loving the 10 Superbattleships coming up, pretty damn awesome force there :P

EDIT: De-Legro, I just noticed you're sending one of your attack fleets to Adanedhel's planet of New Berlin (surrounded by a Planetary Defence), but you're going through 2 of his planets. Surely that's a silly thing to do since the PD will activate when you get near those planets. You should have them go around those planets so you get as little PD time as you can.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:42:52 PM by Nathan »

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #483: August 18, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »
Wouldn't you want to go for Xi Monotes since that has a much larger population? Also, be careful. All his force is in a single fleet, whereas yours is broken up which may reduce your combat effectiveness quite a bit. Not sure by how much, since I'd guess you'll just keep chipping away at his force until it's all dead, but felt I'd warn you just in case. Also, loving the 10 Superbattleships coming up, pretty damn awesome force there :P

Hmm.... good point about fleet sizes. Hadn't thought of that. That's extremely annoying, because there's no way I'll be building up a fleet of 113 cruisers.

Guess I won't be attacking for 7-10 days then....
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #484: August 19, 2011, 04:50:10 AM »
If you scrap some of the superbattlecruisers you can bulid a better composition.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #485: August 19, 2011, 07:42:58 AM »

EDIT: De-Legro, I just noticed you're sending one of your attack fleets to Adanedhel's planet of New Berlin (surrounded by a Planetary Defence), but you're going through 2 of his planets. Surely that's a silly thing to do since the PD will activate when you get near those planets. You should have them go around those planets so you get as little PD time as you can.

PD activates as soon as I enter the defence radius, doesn't matter if I get close to planets or not.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #486: August 19, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
One big fleet kills several smaller fleets so it might be best to delay the attack slightly and join them up at a planet.

http://groups.google.com/group/daves-galaxy/browse_thread/thread/2778f18d78b276f

This one is difficult. Big fleets repair damage between engagments, so they can face off against smaller fleets and repair between each battle. The other factor is that with Large fleets only part of the force will engage smaller fleets. There is probable some sweat spot where x number of fleet y% smaller are more effective, but I've no interest in figuring out where that is, so I will just make mass fleets of super battleships :)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #487: August 19, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
what are you smoking

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #488: August 19, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »
PD activates as soon as I enter the defence radius, doesn't matter if I get close to planets or not.

Nope, they have to be in sensor range, hence part of the description which says "Can accept targeting information from any fleet or planet in it's area of effectiveness." Basically saying "if you can't see it, I can't hit it".

This one is difficult. Big fleets repair damage between engagments, so they can face off against smaller fleets and repair between each battle.

Again, I think you're wrong. They only "repair" because instead of putting up that ship that had been hit last round, they put up a new ship that hasn't been hit yet. This makes it look like you're repairing ships, but fight the fleet enough and eventually they have to put in a damaged ship. I think if you have a turn or two between battles they repair (remove the yellow ring) - or it may have to land on a planet.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #489: August 19, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
Again, I think you're wrong. They only "repair" because instead of putting up that ship that had been hit last round, they put up a new ship that hasn't been hit yet. This makes it look like you're repairing ships, but fight the fleet enough and eventually they have to put in a damaged ship. I think if you have a turn or two between battles they repair (remove the yellow ring) - or it may have to land on a planet.

Daves own post pointed out that he doesn't carry over damage between battles.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #490: August 19, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »
Daves own post pointed out that he doesn't carry over damage between battles.

I can't seem to find where he says that, do you mind quoting it for me? >.<

Fleet #8813, 1 blackbird (8813) Battle! -- Menacing jestures were made, but no
damage was done.

I'm ashamed to say I actually laughed at this :P

I can now finally declare an alliance with Adriddae! I think I'm now allied with every BM player around me :D

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #491: August 19, 2011, 03:26:42 PM »
I have seen raining death from space so many times but still haven't taken a planet. It's supposed to be 20%

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #492: August 19, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »
I have seen raining death from space so many times but still haven't taken a planet. It's supposed to be 20%

Who's that against? Also, you should remember that it's 20% per fleet. Try sending lots of little fleets to the planet and you'll increase your chances dramatically. :D

EDIT: PeterKaan's home planet is finally defeated! Now to mop up his colonies, build a few upgrades and spend the 100k steel he left me.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:07:47 PM by Nathan »

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #493: August 20, 2011, 04:04:08 PM »
Should be capturing mine in a few too.

We need to send about 200k steel each to beat one of Oldry's planets. If he gets planetary defence up it's all over though.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #494: August 20, 2011, 04:20:35 PM »
... i lost 300 pop at capital for seemingly no reason? it's producing everything... so there's no deficit.. tax is slightly higher than other systems though..
firefox