Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529305 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #555: August 26, 2011, 11:10:54 PM »
i think my pop loss problem might not be a problem.. i read somewhere that high soc lvl planets are supposed to lose pop... but the thing is, no idea whether it's obsolete and more importantly, it just doesn't make sense if it is applied to any planet of any pop.
firefox

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #556: August 27, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »
How much steel are they making? My shoddy maths says about 90 steel a day? This took my home planet, divided population by steel produced to give 1025 pop to 1 steel, then divide 90k by 1025 to give me theoretical steel production on your planet. If I'm right, then that means you need 10/11 arcs to make it useful at level 50 (1 frigate a day).

Planning on doing after a bit of expansion. I slowed that to a halt when I was at war with PeterKaan, so it's time to catch up. Once I've colonised a few more planets around my home planet, I'll start stocking for war with Oldry.

I hope this doesn't result in 100k+ worth of steel lying around doing nothing.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #557: August 27, 2011, 07:02:07 AM »

You can always send the fleets to a planet, combine them, then attack again.

How is this done? This would help my situation quite a bit.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #558: August 27, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »
Scrap that at a planet and then rebuild them. I don't believe you lose anything. If you don't want to risk losing a super battleship test it out on a cheap ship.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #559: August 27, 2011, 08:01:16 AM »
Vellos is missing the idea that you have to do it on a planet you own.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #560: August 27, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »
i think my pop loss problem might not be a problem.. i read somewhere that high soc lvl planets are supposed to lose pop... but the thing is, no idea whether it's obsolete and more importantly, it just doesn't make sense if it is applied to any planet of any pop.

My home planet went from 16771700 to 16773900, increase of 2200. Captured home planet went from 16777735 to 16777500, decrease of 235. What's your population? Maybe it's just levelling out?

EDIT: My Merchantmen can create steel, apparently. I had 15k steel and built 20 Merchantmen, which costs 15k steel. In their holds is 5k steel. Also, my damn Bulkfrieghters decided to come back with food, despite steel being the most profitable purchase they could have made - seems I didn't watch Kai/Vellos' Bulkfreighters enough before making my decision :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 03:13:06 PM by Nathan »

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #561: August 27, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »
EDIT: My Merchantmen can create steel, apparently. I had 15k steel and built 20 Merchantmen, which costs 15k steel. In their holds is 5k steel. Also, my damn Bulkfrieghters decided to come back with food, despite steel being the most profitable purchase they could have made - seems I didn't watch Kai/Vellos' Bulkfreighters enough before making my decision :P

My merchantmen probably aren't doing anything actually profitable. I don't much care. I just like having lots of trade ships scurrying around. Makes me feel all mercantile and !@#$.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #562: August 27, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »
Vellos is missing the idea that you have to do it on a planet you own.

Damnit.

I've calculated it'll take me 22 days to build up enough resources to build a fleet large enough to have a sure-fire chance of crushing Oldry's fleet. So, instead, I'm going to bring my whole current attack fleet home, scrap it all, and, with all its resources and everything I'll have in my home planet (should have about 130k steel on hand by the time my fleets get back) build a new fleet, which SHOULD be big enough to do the trick.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #563: August 27, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »
My merchantmen probably aren't doing anything actually profitable. I don't much care. I just like having lots of trade ships scurrying around. Makes me feel all mercantile and !@#$.

Lol'd. Mine bring back steel from my other colonies, slowly recovering the steel used to set them up. It's fairly useful when they return, hence why I scrapped them into fewer bigger fleets, so that when they do return I can put that into a few ships instead of "oh, 250 steel, cool... I can do nothing with it". They also buy up all the useless stuff on my home planet, making me more money for use on Subspacers. I've no doubt that eventually they'll be useless as the colonies will either run out of money (to buy the home planet's goods) or steel (to make themselves money from sales), but until then I'll keep mine too :P

I've calculated it'll take me 22 days to build up enough resources to build a fleet large enough to have a sure-fire chance of crushing Oldry's fleet. So, instead, I'm going to bring my whole current attack fleet home, scrap it all, and, with all its resources and everything I'll have in my home planet (should have about 130k steel on hand by the time my fleets get back) build a new fleet, which SHOULD be big enough to do the trick.

Sounds like a good plan and it might work, as long as Oldry doesn't just build a bigger fleet as soon as he sees you :P

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #564: August 27, 2011, 06:18:06 PM »
How large trade fleets do you have?

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #565: August 27, 2011, 06:41:34 PM »
Sounds like a good plan and it might work, as long as Oldry doesn't just build a bigger fleet as soon as he sees you :P

The real risk is if he constructs planetary defence, then you may as well give up.

Another is if he managed to get this fourth planet on my left. I think I can stop it but if he does get it it'll be 6v4 planets which can be a long war.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #566: August 27, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »

My objective is to have 1.5x his fleet size to attack him.

Plus, he's building attack fleets. He sent 20 cruisers a few turns ago to attack one of my planets; he just launched 40 frigates from Pi Circax, my target. It seems to me his strategy is to repeatedly attack my outlying planets in the hope of distracting me from producing a large attack fleet. I'm gambling that I can shift resources around enough that I can hit him with a huge attack fleet before he is able to beat my main attack.

The real risk is if he constructs planetary defence, then you may as well give up.

I've considered that. However, I think he actually might not do it. His planet has fairly low population, thus low GDP. He's already got a major disadvantage in terms of productive output on that front, I think he may not want to sacrifice the resources needed to build fleets. If he gets PD, it's easier for me to overwhelm him with numbers of ships. Plus, now that my fleets are withdrawing, he may be wondering if I'm going to attack his other planet.

SPeaking of: do we know the garrison on his other planet?

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #567: August 27, 2011, 07:04:27 PM »
An enemy home planet I just took had enough resources to build, and I quote: 6 Superbattleships, 10 Battleships, 10 Cruisers, 20 Destroyers, 25 Frigates, and 40 Subspacers. Task Force Pheonix is to complete the destruction of Friedthelt, and then await further instructions.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #568: August 27, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »
I find the game not very interesting anymore, it's simply too shallow. If anyone wants to continue my account, let me know :)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #569: August 27, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
How large trade fleets do you have?

2 lots of 10 Merchantmen, and 1 lot of 10 Bulkfreighters. That's at my home planet. Also got 1 lot of 10 Bulkfrieghters at PeterKaan's old home planet. Once I've got all of his colonies, plus taken a few of my own up there I'll probably get 2 lots of 10 Merchantmen too.

I find the game not very interesting anymore, it's simply too shallow. If anyone wants to continue my account, let me know :)

De-Legro has a few fleets down there, if you're sure about quitting then you might want to let him take over your planet so we can keep it with us BMers :D

Just as an FYI, the 20 arc fleet I sent out landed today. Producing: 9 steel, 889 food, 128 hydrocarbon. 0 of everything else.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:39:26 PM by Nathan »