Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 534269 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #570: August 27, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
heh.. i sent out a 1x10 yesterday and another one today.. the latter is linked (though not to capital... doh!)

--
you know.. just noticed that this is fundamentally unfair.

any capital planet that starts with a bunch of connections would have a massive head start.. they can just spam arcs to the same linked location to up pop and as soon as they arrive, reuse the steel to spam more arcs immediately until it starts to produce enough resources on its own.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:28:23 PM by fodder »
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #571: August 27, 2011, 11:28:44 PM »
you know.. just noticed that this is fundamentally unfair.

any capital planet that starts with a bunch of connections would have a massive head start.. they can just spam arcs to the same linked location to up pop and as soon as they arrive, reuse the steel to spam more arcs immediately until it starts to produce enough resources on its own.

Yup. However it's supposed to balance out eventually because links are only between distant planets. So whereas I have 22 planets in my Planetary Defence radius, those with links might only have 10, maybe even less. That means that I can produce more resources, it just takes longer to them them to my home planet to be useful. Once they reach a decent population, the amount of resources I have in such a small radius means that I can easily outmatch my opponents as long as I have a decent merchant fleet transferring everything around.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #572: August 28, 2011, 04:53:36 AM »
My objective is to have 1.5x his fleet size to attack him.
Good idea.

Plus, he's building attack fleets. He sent 20 cruisers a few turns ago to attack one of my planets; he just launched 40 frigates from Pi Circax, my target. It seems to me his strategy is to repeatedly attack my outlying planets in the hope of distracting me from producing a large attack fleet. I'm gambling that I can shift resources around enough that I can hit him with a huge attack fleet before he is able to beat my main attack.
Attack fleets are a waste of money against planetary defence. You should ignore anything outside its range, and why you would colonise outside it baffles me.

I've considered that. However, I think he actually might not do it. His planet has fairly low population, thus low GDP. He's already got a major disadvantage in terms of productive output on that front, I think he may not want to sacrifice the resources needed to build fleets.
You're wrong, the planet has 11 million and will hit full population in less than a week. It's certainly not stopping you is it.

If he gets PD, it's easier for me to overwhelm him with numbers of ships.
The force multiplier for PD on a direct planet assault is something like 2.5, it will definitely not make things easier.

Plus, now that my fleets are withdrawing, he may be wondering if I'm going to attack his other planet.
Cool.

SPeaking of: do we know the garrison on his other planet?
Send 1 blackbird there and it will stay alive for ages.

Right planet: 113 cruisers, 40 frigates aimed right.
Centre planet: 140 ish cruisers last time I saw it, the blackbird died.
Left planet: probably about 100 cruisers, blackbird en route.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:55:47 AM by Kai »

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #573: August 29, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
Darn, my planets are starting to drop in population now too - only my two largest ones. Dropping by 300 population a turn. Also, my home planet has stopped producing food. Luckily it has a large reserve, but with the amount it's eating it won't be long before it runs out. I'm going to have to build more Bulkfrieghters so that I can bring back food from my other planets and I'll convert a couple of colonies into farming planets in a few weeks time (or whenever they start being able to support farming subsidies).

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #574: August 29, 2011, 04:56:46 PM »
btw....to transport steel easily use scouts. the pop/steel ration is better then for arc's

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #575: August 29, 2011, 06:13:08 PM »
can always build freighters to up your budget surplus to afford the farming stuff...

the other thing is.. whether mind control should be used to keep soc lvl down and pop up?
firefox

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #576: August 29, 2011, 06:31:02 PM »
There is a soc lvl at which your production of steel and other things will maximise. That is where you'll want to put in mind control, because after that the production of resources goes down. There is an example of the chart somewhere in the help.

Oh, fodder, it seems I'm allied to you but I'm no longer your neighbor. So I can't send messages to you in-game. I have some merchantships headed your way, though. Is there anything you need help with up there?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #577: August 29, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »
um.. you sure i'm not hiding in page 2 or 3? (ok... so.. no.. not page 2/3.. just checked mine)

everything is quiet with me. that said.. amazoneon does look heading this way a bit, doesn't it.

kingdante is still fighting with pussey

----
recalling the long ranged arcs x2... obviously pointless doing it with just 2 arcs...

----
i might quit at some point... as the game is not making much sense to me... in which case, i'll see if cadfan doesn't want my planets.

in the meanwhile, i'll just send out biggish arc fleets out every few days...
firefox

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #578: August 29, 2011, 07:44:22 PM »
What do you need help with? It seems to me the game is really simple, once you get the basics down. Send out arcs, colonize new planets, make war with other players as needed. You seem to be doing things right, as far as I can tell from looking at your empire.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #579: August 29, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »
it's not help.. it's the fundamental way the game works.
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #580: August 29, 2011, 10:24:40 PM »
btw....to transport steel easily use scouts. the pop/steel ration is better then for arc's

Do you mean transport population easily? Sorry, you're right. Subspacers are nice for transferring population around as they cost less steel per population. If so, then I had thought about that but didn't really put much effort into it. I might give it a go at some point. The only problem is that scouts don't bring any food/etc so that might mess up the local economy.

the other thing is.. whether mind control should be used to keep soc lvl down and pop up?
There is a soc lvl at which your production of steel and other things will maximise.

Start building Mind Control at 80-83 I think. My food production disappeared at 89 (may have been before that, if it was, I didn't notice) so you want to stop before that, since Mind Control will take 5 turns 83 seems good. The only problem is that to have Mind Control and all the other upgrades on my planet it takes 91.5% of my budget, which doesn't leave much for a fleet. I can get that down to 87.5% without Sensors and Trade Incentives, but TI brings in a lot of income so really only 88.5% (22.5k cash a turn).

Long term I think that I'll have to get rid of PD and put it on another planet (maybe a few overlapping ones to cover an ever expanding empire). Spread out Matter Synths and Military Bases too so I can spread the burden.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:38:09 PM by Nathan »

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #581: August 30, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »
eh... so who's taking up kingdante's planets? big net around dave if they take mine too at a later date.. XD
firefox

egamma

« Reply #582: August 30, 2011, 03:50:51 PM »
Let's all attack jackdaniels, one last hurrah for battlemaster!

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #583: August 30, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »
Anyone know anything about Norrel(the purple empire right beside Tom)? Does he have any allies, how many warships and trading fleets? Stuff like that. I'd like to attack him.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #584: August 30, 2011, 07:36:49 PM »
Anyone know anything about Norrel(the purple empire right beside Tom)? Does he have any allies, how many warships and trading fleets? Stuff like that. I'd like to attack him.
That's me.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre