Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529571 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #600: September 01, 2011, 02:57:14 PM »
EDIT: My Merchantmen can create steel, apparently. I had 15k steel and built 20 Merchantmen, which costs 15k steel. In their holds is 5k steel. Also, my damn Bulkfrieghters decided to come back with food, despite steel being the most profitable purchase they could have made - seems I didn't watch Kai/Vellos' Bulkfreighters enough before making my decision :P

i would imagine part of the price in steel for merchant ships is that they sell some of that crap.

in any case, trade is bugged to hell and back. you literally create money out of thin air. proof? send a merchant ship to a planet with not much money and it'll sell its crap, zeroing all the money in that planet and then give money to that planet by buying stuff. .. ie.. it doesn't go -ve

i saw a bunch of merchants sold 90k q worth of steel (1k).. to a planet that didn't really have much money, certainly not 90k q... the planet had pretty much no steel and now has 1k+

it's linked, but i don't think other planets linked had that much money around either... i'm sure it happens in non-linked planet too..
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #601: September 01, 2011, 03:17:12 PM »
My guys just created Unobtanium. They bought 2 from a planet with no Matter Synths on it and no fleets had been scrapped there that could have given it some. Not that I'm complaining, I'll take my free resources, thanks :D It definitely gives a minor resource advantage to those people able to build a large fleet of Merchantmen/Bulkfreighters, but probably not enough to win a war.

I noticed Oldry created himself a little backup planet in the middle of nowhere. My arc just flew near it which is how I managed to see it. I'm going to send over 35 Subspacers to take the planet. I probably won't need that many, but since it'll take a long time to get there (about a month), I want to make sure I definitely take it upon arrival. It'll be a fairly useless planet, but since we're at war with him anyway, I may as well snag it :P

Kai, you might want to send a fleet to intercept that arc Oldry's sending away. A couple of Subspacers set to Piracy sent to it's destination should be enough to get it for yourself :D

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #602: September 01, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »
well.. i think it's a case of there's no unobtanium... it just appeared out of thin air and the ships bought them at extra high prices to sell at low price .. or at least that's what happened to me

mind you, i've seen planets making antimatter where there's no synth either...
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #603: September 01, 2011, 03:28:04 PM »
well.. i think it's a case of there's no unobtanium... it just appeared out of thin air and the ships bought them at extra high prices to sell at low price .. or at least that's what happened to me

Yeah, might just make things so that your ships don't waste their journey. They did go with 50k Quatloos and since it was a new planet I doubt they could have bought enough stuff to use all their cash.

mind you, i've seen planets making antimatter where there's no synth either...

You don't need a Synth for anti-matter, only for Krell Metal and Unobtanium. Anti-matter just comes in very slowly once you reach a certain society level.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #604: September 01, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
I noticed Oldry created himself a little backup planet in the middle of nowhere. My arc just flew near it which is how I managed to see it. I'm going to send over 35 Subspacers to take the planet. I probably won't need that many, but since it'll take a long time to get there (about a month), I want to make sure I definitely take it upon arrival. It'll be a fairly useless planet, but since we're at war with him anyway, I may as well snag it :P
Why don't you send it somewhere useful instead; go help out Vellos.

Kai, you might want to send a fleet to intercept that arc Oldry's sending away. A couple of Subspacers set to Piracy sent to it's destination should be enough to get it for yourself :D
1 arc can't do anything.

Oldry has 60 cruisers left,152 cruisers centre, 113 cruisers right
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:15:55 PM by Kai »

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #605: September 01, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
um.. i just saw one of my planets make krel too.. albeit 1 in the next turn
firefox

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #606: September 01, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »
Don't homeplanets make everything anyway?
Ardet nec consumitur.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #607: September 01, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »
that wasn't the home one.. it's my 1st colony.. the one with 2 arcs (now 40k pop?)

----
i'm thinking the home planet has way too much pop artificially.. so something happens without waiting months. presumably why it's so different from anything else..
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #608: September 02, 2011, 05:03:30 PM »
So, I've thought of something odd.

Society only goes up if you're active, right? It stops if you go inactive?

But... does population growth stop if you go inactive?

If not, then there are major advantages to periods of inactivity, as it seems like low-pop colonies reach their society-level downside before they get big in terms of population. You could do the equivalent of "mind control" to society level, but at lower cost and better population effects.

Thoughts?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #609: September 02, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »
Society only goes up if you're active, right? It stops if you go inactive?

But... does population growth stop if you go inactive?

To answer your questions in order: Yes. Yes. Yes.

Hence why I'm fairly jealous of Kai conquering carlwolcott's planets, they have ridiculous population levels for their society level because he seems to only log in once a week :P

I got some half decent planets when I got PeterKaan's planets, but he'd only been inactive for a few days so they weren't that inflated.

Growth depends on the society level though. So if you leave a level 10 planet for 5 days, it might not be as good as a level 11 planet left for 4 days. There's also the problem of people noticing you go offline and seizing on it.

What you do depends on how long term you want to play the game. "Eventually" planets will max out no matter how many arcs you send, or time-outs you have. Planets start to lose population when they hit high 80s, but only if you're at max population (just try building loads of fleets and watch your population increase again next turn). So if you send 5 arcs to a planet, you might hit your limit at level 100 instead of level 120 if you sent 1 arc (guesses on numbers, btw).

Personally, I'd rather see planets be useful sooner so that I can expand quicker and have a safety net in case someone attacks me. But if you plan on spending a lot of time away from the game or not being overly aggressive right now, then slower population maxing is fine.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #610: September 02, 2011, 07:13:30 PM »
To answer your questions in order: Yes. Yes. Yes.

Hence why I'm fairly jealous of Kai conquering carlwolcott's planets, they have ridiculous population levels for their society level because he seems to only log in once a week :P

Trust me there is no difference between 1000 and 20000. !@#$, I make 28 steel a turn. Damn. Home planets are the only important ones.

Personally, I'd rather see planets be useful sooner so that I can expand quicker and have a safety net in case someone attacks me. But if you plan on spending a lot of time away from the game or not being overly aggressive right now, then slower population maxing is fine.

Wrong, !@#$ty colonies makes being aggressive the best thing to do, to capture home planets.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #611: September 02, 2011, 08:08:57 PM »
Trust me there is no difference between 1000 and 20000.

Then you're doing it wrong ;)

Wrong, !@#$ty colonies makes being aggressive the best thing to do, to capture home planets.

There is no "wrong", only "different", with regards to play styles. If you want to play aggressively, like Oldry is doing, then you don't build arcs (or maybe the odd one as a back-up) and just pump everything into a massive fleet to take someone else's home planet, rinse, repeat. If you want to take it slowly, then you build arcs and build yourself a big empire. Depending on what you want to do further down the line depends on how many arcs you send out to each planet.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #612: September 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM »
Then you're doing it wrong ;)

Sweet 30 steel per turn. Pls give me break. Especially from condescending smiley faces.

There is no "wrong", only "different", with regards to play styles. If you want to play aggressively, like Oldry is doing, then you don't build arcs (or maybe the odd one as a back-up) and just pump everything into a massive fleet to take someone else's home planet, rinse, repeat. If you want to take it slowly, then you build arcs and build yourself a big empire. Depending on what you want to do further down the line depends on how many arcs you send out to each planet.

Wrong. You build fleets of 5 cruisers and go kill inactive players. Every time you get a home planet you get 16 million population in one shot. This is equivalent to 30000 arcs.

Great news, I took the 3rd planet.
Btw carlwolcotts planet has 40 battlecruisers guarding it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 02:35:01 PM by Kai »

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #613: September 03, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »
Oldry now has 4 home planets in a line between Kai and me.

I may still have enough productive power on hand to take Pi Circax. Maybe. Though he has 40 frigates and 40 cruisers perched in orbit as well.

I'm going to need help to take out Oldry. Alone, he is going to destroy me.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #614: September 03, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
I've just put everything into traders, but I have come to the point where I can't build enough Arcs anyways to cover my needs. So I will be building offensive fleets for a while.

Is there a way to merge fleets? I'd hate to have hundreds of small fleets scattered around. I want to build distributed, then meet and merge.