Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529027 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #645: September 07, 2011, 03:41:56 AM »
Oldry is still active... and is making me laugh a bit. He's strong, but not actually extremely bright.

He has 40 cruisers leaving Nu Fornpeia... going the opposite direction as me. He just a built the fleet he needed for defense, and is sending it far away. Should make taking Nu Fornpeia a bit easier.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #646: September 07, 2011, 03:55:30 AM »
Oldry is still active... and is making me laugh a bit. He's strong, but not actually extremely bright.

He has 40 cruisers leaving Nu Fornpeia... going the opposite direction as me. He just a built the fleet he needed for defense, and is sending it far away. Should make taking Nu Fornpeia a bit easier.

Can you see what direction they are headed? He might have noticed that I've got raiding fleets out after him.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #647: September 07, 2011, 06:27:13 AM »

You're not very bright either. The ships are heading for a new player planet. But because I am brighter than you I'll get there first.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #648: September 07, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks, but I think you're a little too far away :P

Feel free to send something if you want, might give you a chance to grab a planet near us :D It'll probably take you a while to get here though.

Btw Kai, mind if I have Omicron Monotes (darthbenjamin)? I noticed you've got a fleet on the way. Plenty of inactive newbies to share out though :D

Scroll up theres another one nearer to you divert your fleet.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #649: September 07, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »
Does anyone know the required society level for a Matter Synth/Military Base?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #650: September 07, 2011, 03:31:40 PM »

Sort of, I can build Matter Synth at my level 50 planets. Haven't been able to construct a matter synth 2 or military base yet.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #651: September 07, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »
Can you see what direction they are headed? He might have noticed that I've got raiding fleets out after him.

A new player planet.

You're not very bright either. The ships are heading for a new player planet. But because I am brighter than you I'll get there first.

And you're a pretentious !@#$%^&.

I did see where they were headed, and observed you would get there first. And Oldry, realizing you are pretty aggressive (not a hard realization to arrive at), is foolish to be sending a fleet on that long-distance trek when there is an aggressive player in between.

Been wondering that myself; I would assume 50.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #652: September 07, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
Scroll up theres another one nearer to you divert your fleet.

Yeah, but Addridae is after that one and I figured because we're all cosy and lovely friends, we could share the new bounty - especially since Addridae is yet to feel the lovely embrace of capturing his first home planet. If Addridae doesn't mind diverting to copla201's planet (Archona), or one of the other new guys, then I'd much prefer to have AntiMatter's planet as it's nearer to my empire. But we don't always get what we want :P

Are you still after carlwolcott? If I had his home planet then I could make a nice little triangle of planets and keep my empire close together instead of spreading out like I would be with darthbenjamin's planet. Also, do your captured planets near there have to pay tax to his home planet? The description on Regional Government makes it sound like you might do, but then that'd just be silly.

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #653: September 07, 2011, 06:13:36 PM »
Hehe, greetings gentlemen.

I was googling for references to the game this morning, and I finally came across this thread.  44 pages of messages!

I'm going to go back and read everything in a bit -- but a couple things did stick out from my browsing...

It seems like new players are too easy to pick off, would you all agree with that?  I should probably make it a little more difficult to do.

Combining and splitting fleets is definitely on my agenda, but it tends to get pushed back for whatever the 'crisis of the week' is.

With regards to moving fleets around, and routing to points off the screen -- I've recently put in support for using the arrow keys to pan, and +/- to zoom, which makes this very easy to do.

--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #654: September 07, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
Some newbie protection would indeed be useful I think. I wouldn't want to start playing and end up smack in the middle of a field of aggressive veterans waiting to pick off anyone unfortunate enough to be too close.

Also, I'm pretty close to your Embassy 2 planet, and have contemplated attacking it... would this earn me the fury of the creator? :p

edit: and since you are here now, could we interest you in joining BattleMaster? ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:40:51 PM by Sacha »

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #655: September 07, 2011, 07:03:05 PM »
Hehe, greetings gentlemen.

I was googling for references to the game this morning, and I finally came across this thread.  44 pages of messages!

I'm going to go back and read everything in a bit -- but a couple things did stick out from my browsing...

It seems like new players are too easy to pick off, would you all agree with that?  I should probably make it a little more difficult to do.

Combining and splitting fleets is definitely on my agenda, but it tends to get pushed back for whatever the 'crisis of the week' is.

With regards to moving fleets around, and routing to points off the screen -- I've recently put in support for using the arrow keys to pan, and +/- to zoom, which makes this very easy to do.

--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Glad to have you here!

New players are definitely too vulnerable. A simple expedient would be to start home planets with planetary defense. This would make them effectively invulnerable to all but a very determined attacker.

Or just make them unable to lose their home planet for, say, 30 days.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #656: September 07, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
Hm.. not sure if home planet invulnerability is the way to go. Nothing would stop a big player from simply taking over the other planets, and parking a huge armada near the home planet, waiting out the 30 days and then taking it anyway.

The planetary defense would work, I think. It's expensive, though, so perhaps make it free for a period of 14-30 days, or make the cost gradually increase over that time?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #657: September 07, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »
Hey Dave, we're honoured to have you with us! :P

How many other references did you find? I can't imagine the game has taken off that quickly that there'd be a lot.

Agreed. You already have access to a few stats (those on the Scoreboard), perhaps you can base things off that? Maybe an "hitting above your weight" bonus to attack power and accuracy? If I'm battling for my life, I'm going to make damn sure that missile hits its target. Or what about utterly decimating populations if you outclass them too much? So if uranus and his few thousand society levelled empire goes to attack a new player and their society level 50 planet, his fleet would bring the population down to 500 if he succeeded in capturing it (maybe even knocking the society level down a bit). That would encourage people to fight with empires of their own strength.

If your empire is decimated, how about being able to start again with a bit of a bonus? Perhaps a few turns worth of resources/society level/etc for how many times you've been destroyed? That way if a new player is destroyed within their first few turns, they won't be put off starting again because they can bounce back fairly quickly.

Another idea I had was asking people to wait before joining. Once you have X people waiting they all spawn in the same part of the galaxy, meaning they're less likely to be put near someone who can squish them. If they don't want to wait, then make it clear they might be slotted in between two big guys who just want another planet.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #658: September 07, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

i think the trouble is that the home planet is so out of whack with everything else. it seems to have artificially high number of pop (and hence resources) whereas other planets, if colonised with just the 1 arc, will pretty much unlikely ever to attain such pop.

i can only presume that's the case so that testing can be done.. no one will sit around waiting for months for something to happen to test stuff.
firefox

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #659: September 07, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
i think the trouble is that the home planet is so out of whack with everything else. it seems to have artificially high number of pop (and hence resources) whereas other planets, if colonised with just the 1 arc, will pretty much unlikely ever to attain such pop.

i can only presume that's the case so that testing can be done.. no one will sit around waiting for months for something to happen to test stuff.

I reset the game a few months back, and I did make the home planets bigger, and increased the price of arcs.  Balance is really hard to get right.  Increasing the number of people per arc would probably be really helpful (I'm happy with the number of arcs you can produce in a turn), that would speed up the population curve quite a bit.  Maybe up it to...  2000 people?

Trading -- I need to do some spring cleaning, there might be some problems.  Also, the amount of resources you see on a planet is the surplus that's just sitting around, trade can occur without a surplus.  It shouldn't occur if there's no way to make the commodity, and none has been left there (say by a previous trade).  I want to allow purchasing of resources on the local market if you have the quatloos (i.e. you'd be able to build as many ships as you have quatloos to pay for the stuff to build them), but I haven't done this yet.

I keep wanting to add more stuff to the game, there's huge amounts of new technologies I want to put in, etc.  Stand off weapons, more stuff for trading/piracy/diplomacy... 
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy