Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529362 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #675: September 08, 2011, 07:01:57 PM »
Hehe, greetings gentlemen.

I was googling for references to the game this morning, and I finally came across this thread.  44 pages of messages!

I'm going to go back and read everything in a bit -- but a couple things did stick out from my browsing...

It seems like new players are too easy to pick off, would you all agree with that?  I should probably make it a little more difficult to do.

Sort of. It's not the active new players - defender bonus is enormous because the minimum travel time is weeks. It's that inactive ones get picked off by 1 cruiser from the insane players who scan the map every day. Since planets are very easy to defend you get enormous power wedges formed from 1 cruiser or 1 frigate and luck.

There are a few ways you could go about this. One is giving planets combat stats based on population or society level. Another is basing capture time on the size of the capturing fleet. But I'm sure you can think of something better.

Yeah, but Addridae is after that one and I figured because we're all cosy and lovely friends, we could share the new bounty - especially since Addridae is yet to feel the lovely embrace of capturing his first home planet. If Addridae doesn't mind diverting to copla201's planet (Archona), or one of the other new guys, then I'd much prefer to have AntiMatter's planet as it's nearer to my empire. But we don't always get what we want :P

Are you still after carlwolcott? If I had his home planet then I could make a nice little triangle of planets and keep my empire close together instead of spreading out like I would be with darthbenjamin's planet. Also, do your captured planets near there have to pay tax to his home planet? The description on Regional Government makes it sound like you might do, but then that'd just be silly.

I don't know what an Addridae is. Honestly the first person to arrive should just take it, and if you want we can redistribute after. It's not worth the chance an Oldry might get it.

Carlwolcott has 50 battlecruiser on his main, you can try to kill it if you want.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:05:56 PM by Kai »

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #676: September 08, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »
Addridae is a bm player i believe... appeared somewhere in this thread..
firefox

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #677: September 09, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »
Yes, I do need to improve the planetary assault algorithm, it's way too naive currently.  Population/Society should be taken into account, and there should be a random chance for taking out upgrades/stockpiles.  It should also take a pretty big fleet to take out an established planet.

--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #678: September 09, 2011, 12:42:19 AM »
I don't know what an Addridae is.
Addridae is a bm player i believe...

Indeed. I'm sure he'll be glad to know he's well known... :P

It's not worth the chance an Oldry might get it.

Very true. It wouldn't surprise me if he's after them all. We'll redistribute once he's gone then - should make future wars easier to fight if we have tighter empires instead of having them spread all over the show.

Yes, I do need to improve the planetary assault algorithm, it's way too naive currently.  Population/Society should be taken into account, and there should be a random chance for taking out upgrades/stockpiles.  It should also take a pretty big fleet to take out an established planet.

I agree with all of this. This will definitely help keep new players alive instead of having older players send a handful of cruisers to take a planet. It'll also make sending more arcs when colonising better for future wars.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:44:04 AM by Nathan »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #679: September 09, 2011, 12:46:02 AM »
I could use some help against this jahroen guy, he's sending 50 cruisers at my home planet. My planetary defenses will take most of them down, but I'm not certain I can kill them all.

Damn I guess he is playing again. I will start stepping up my attacks on his territory, time to make him think more carefully about attacking us.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #680: September 09, 2011, 12:56:31 AM »
Damn I guess he is playing again. I will start stepping up my attacks on his territory, time to make him think more carefully about attacking us.

Not necessarily, he could have sent the Cruisers out before he went inactive. Can you see him on the neighbours list? That will tell you for certain.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #681: September 09, 2011, 12:58:23 AM »
I have a theory on how to fix the population and society level problem. Make the population increase faster while making society increase slower.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #682: September 09, 2011, 12:58:53 AM »
Not necessarily, he could have sent the Cruisers out before he went inactive. Can you see him on the neighbours list? That will tell you for certain.

Yeah he is listed as being online again on the 8th. Before that he hadn't been active since the 2nd. Oh well so far he has been aggressive, but nothing indicates he is a great player, so hopefully if I apply some pressure in area's where I can see he isn't that well defended he might decide peace with us is easier.

Which reminds me, we probably need an official spokesmen for the BM alliance to contact players we are having issues with :)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #683: September 09, 2011, 01:00:29 AM »
Which reminds me, we probably need an official spokesmen for the BM alliance to contact players we are having issues with :)

Yeah, he may not even realize how many enemies he is making.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #684: September 09, 2011, 01:17:44 AM »
I'll be attacking 3 home planets over the coming weeks... so excited!

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #685: September 09, 2011, 01:19:21 AM »

I vote for De-Legro. He's been around the longest (I think) and has the most experience. Plus he's well placed to deal with the outside world.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #686: September 09, 2011, 01:24:38 AM »
I vote for De-Legro. He's been around the longest (I think) and has the most experience. Plus he's well placed to deal with the outside world.

hmm you've obviously never encountered my characters in BM, I tend to make things worse diplomatically :)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #687: September 09, 2011, 01:30:21 AM »
hmm you've obviously never encountered my characters in BM, I tend to make things worse diplomatically :)

Then we'll have a lot of lovely wars ;)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #688: September 09, 2011, 01:37:02 AM »

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #689: September 09, 2011, 05:04:48 AM »

Personally, I think we're better off with our alliance kept quiet. It makes it easier for us to sneak in spy-allies (like what I tried with PeterKaan).
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner