Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 534434 times)

egamma

Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #735: September 14, 2011, 10:20:11 PM »
I wish I could see what the other person lost.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #736: September 14, 2011, 10:54:17 PM »
Fleet: Fleet #23648, 98 cruisers (23648) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 3
Fleet: Fleet #25062, 10 cruisers (25062) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 7
Fleet: Fleet #23648, 95 cruisers (23648) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 10
Fleet: Fleet #20677, 60 cruisers (20677) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 44

I wish I could see what the other person lost.

You can. See above.

That was two battles: the first two sections were the casualties on each side of one fight. Kai lost 3, Oldry lost 7. The second 2 sections were each side of a second fight, wherein Kai lost 10, and Oldry lost 44.

Numerical advantage apparently reaps huge benefits when both fleets are large.

It occurs to me that, if you are outnumbered by the enemy by any meaningful amount, you might prosper by using smaller fleets. Oldry's small fleet did leaps and bounds better than his big fleet did. If he had send 7 fleets of 10 instead of 1 of 10 and 1 of 60, he could have inflicted 21 casualties, and lost 49. As it is, he inflicted 13, and suffered 51.

So... if you are outnumbered, you might optimize by swarming smallish fleets? I guess coming out at, like, 49% of the enemy's fleet size would be optimal, as it would activate the "small fleet" mechanics that help you, but not be quite so massively overwhelmed.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #737: September 15, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »
Against outnumbering use fleets of 1.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #738: September 15, 2011, 01:15:43 PM »
Against outnumbering use fleets of 1.

Actually, if your opponent isn't using Super Battleships, this is a good idea. I think the "lower ship count" mechanic is *1.5, so 1*1.5 still rounds to 1. It'll take you a darn long time to kill any large fleets, but since it's very likely that any other ship won't get enough hits to kill you in 1 turn, you should be able to keep all your ships alive.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #739: September 15, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
So would a Super Battleship by himself do really well roaming space taking out hordes of ships?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #740: September 15, 2011, 02:34:15 PM »
So would a Super Battleship by himself do really well roaming space taking out hordes of ships?

Probably. You might want to try sending one on a pirate run around players' planets, see if you can pick up anything nice - a shipment of steel, other ships for your pirating fleet, etc :D

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #741: September 15, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
I'm not sure if there is a reliable method of killing superbattleships. It may actually be easier when they are in a larger fleet.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:17:16 PM by Kai »

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #742: September 15, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
I'm not sure if there is a reliable method of killing superbattleships.

Best bet is probably Battleships. They have enough fire power to kill them in 1 turn, but they can only have 6/20 misses. Since accuracy is only 30% (I'm sure that's what I read somewhere), you have to get very lucky to take out a SBS with a Battleship.

It may actually be easier when they are in a larger fleet.

Definitely. Mixing SBS with anything weakens their effectiveness. It's just a toss up between killing something quickly (larger fleet with SBS mixed in), or slowly but with less losses (small, SBS only fleet).

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #743: September 16, 2011, 04:21:09 AM »
lol Nathan come back when you've had at least one decent combat.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #744: September 16, 2011, 10:01:53 AM »
lol Nathan come back when you've had at least one decent combat.

Psst, I conquered PeterKaan whilst he was active and had a few battles with other players. Come back when your memory of this thread hasn't failed ;)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #745: September 16, 2011, 12:27:39 PM »
PeterKaan gave up instantly.

When you say 'definitely' with single SBS, have you even tested that?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #746: September 16, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
PeterKaan gave up instantly.

Nah, he gave up at your place instantly because he couldn't be arsed to play any more. The one I was attacking, he was sending Cruisers (mostly, he did throw a few other things) at me quite often and I managed to try out a few tactics so:

When you say 'definitely' with single SBS, have you even tested that?

Yes, was one of the things I tried against PK. He took it out with his own SBS eventually, which then disappeared because I'm sure I didn't take it out (maybe it's that one fleet he has left).

EDIT: Anyone else having their planets say that Unobtanium/Krellmetal is being produced, but not actually getting any? I've got a few planets like this :S
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:39:47 PM by Nathan »

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #747: September 16, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »
EDIT: Anyone else having their planets say that Unobtanium/Krellmetal is being produced, but not actually getting any? I've got a few planets like this :S

I've got Krellmetal supposedly being produced on a few planets that don't have matter synths.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #748: September 16, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
think cadfan has quit.. i'm invading his home... and then going to stick a mind control in that place to get me some food!

i just killed his 10 bulkfreighters... pity

---

oddly, there's someone's color on a planet that i sent arcs to. which means there's someone's ship, but i don't know whose because when there's a planet and ship in the same spot, only planet can be seen?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:52:08 PM by fodder »
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #749: September 16, 2011, 08:05:21 PM »
think cadfan has quit.. i'm invading his home... and then going to stick a mind control in that place to get me some food!

I'm sure we mentioned that a week or so ago, but when I suggested someone take him over, it was mentioned he's near some big players and therefore not the best target to take over.

oddly, there's someone's color on a planet that i sent arcs to. which means there's someone's ship, but i don't know whose because when there's a planet and ship in the same spot, only planet can be seen?

It's a little buggy. Sometimes you can see the fleet, other times you can't.