Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529336 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #765: September 19, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »
Super Battleships die, I've lost a few in a fleet of about 5 when assaulting Oldry's planet against about 100 cruisers split into two fleets. Seems he now also has planetary defences, but so far they are missing. Hope this has given you guys a chance to make some headway against him. Jahoren seems to have gone MIA again, so Tom I suggest you take his planets near you, I would be happy if you took the ones near you that I claimed as well. I'm going to build some fleets and try to grab some of his other sectors before flyingmamma does.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #766: September 19, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »
Oldry is trying to escape with an arc through my territory (he seems to be sending a lot off in random directions lately). I've sent a Blackbird to follow him and some Cruisers to intercept so I can capture an arc for myself - free 9k steel? Sure! :D

Can anyone remember what's at Pi Circax? I just wanted to crunch a few numbers to try and figure out what the outcome might be.

Btw, I'm thinking I might write a little battle calculator, would anyone be interested in it? Probably won't be anything fancy at first, just put in numbers of ships on both sides and it'll work out what ships take part and give you a casualty report based on 30% of shots hitting. Some things will obviously be guess work, like whether arcs are classed as more or less important than scouts when in a battle, but I'm hoping it won't be completely unusable.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #767: September 19, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »
Oldry is trying to escape with an arc through my territory (he seems to be sending a lot off in random directions lately). I've sent a Blackbird to follow him and some Cruisers to intercept so I can capture an arc for myself - free 9k steel? Sure! :D

Can anyone remember what's at Pi Circax? I just wanted to crunch a few numbers to try and figure out what the outcome might be.
It's about 150 cruisers.

Btw, I'm thinking I might write a little battle calculator, would anyone be interested in it? Probably won't be anything fancy at first, just put in numbers of ships on both sides and it'll work out what ships take part and give you a casualty report based on 30% of shots hitting. Some things will obviously be guess work, like whether arcs are classed as more or less important than scouts when in a battle, but I'm hoping it won't be completely unusable.
Sure, the first step would be to set up a wiki page for people to contribute data.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #768: September 19, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »
WHOOO! Nabbed my first additional home planet, with a 300k steel reserve  ;D

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #769: September 19, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »
WHOOO! Nabbed my first additional home planet, with a 300k steel reserve  ;D

YAY! What are you going to spend your steel on? :D

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #770: September 19, 2011, 07:08:41 PM »
Lot's of SBS.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #771: September 19, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
@Psi Pictoris Minoris, (1910.8,1837.8 )

there should be 2 fleets at or near that planet... 1 of mine (which hasn't arrived) and 1 of someone else. i can't click on my fleet as it's probably inside the planet's dot. can click on planet but can't see ship there... will see what shows up when my ships arrive
firefox

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #772: September 19, 2011, 08:08:01 PM »
YAY! What are you going to spend your steel on? :D

Not sure... on one hand, I wanna send out a bunch of arcs to colonize the planets around it, but since I wanna start building up an armada, I think I will just create a !@#$load of cruisers instead... New planets take ages to build up to something useful anyway.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #773: September 19, 2011, 08:40:06 PM »
New planets take ages to build up to something useful anyway.

Indeed, but DG strikes me as a long-term game, so colonising is definitely useful. How about a balance between them? 100k on arcs, 200k on fleet? Colonise 6 planets with 2 arcs each (108k), then spend the rest on a fleet? That way you get a semi-useful planet by Christmas which will hopefully help to bolster your now growing empire :D

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #774: September 19, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
well, colonising linked system is a no brainer.

funny thing about links.. you have tons of stuff in A, build stuff in B, scrap it immediately (any loss? not materials i don't think), then build stuff in C, etc to move resources around linked system.
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #775: September 19, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »
funny thing about links.. you have tons of stuff in A, build stuff in B, scrap it immediately (any loss? not materials i don't think), then build stuff in C, etc to move resources around linked system.

Y'know, I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning - not even sure why, I don't have any linked systems :S

Most sensible thing I can think of is having 1 turn movement for resources on linked planets. Stops abuses like that but keeps trading between linked planets fairly rapid. Unless it was just a quick-fix for "oh god, this is so slow" when having to search through all the links in larger empires to show the true amount of resources available to a planet, in which case, yay quick-fix!

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #776: September 19, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »
i thought of that last night and used it to built 10 merchants in a few planets to support slingshot.

then found out about the mat synth 1 costs 2k+ upkeep instead of 250+

----
which also means home linked colony chains are even more viable.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:21:18 PM by fodder »
firefox

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #777: September 19, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »
Indeed, but DG strikes me as a long-term game, so colonising is definitely useful. How about a balance between them? 100k on arcs, 200k on fleet? Colonise 6 planets with 2 arcs each (108k), then spend the rest on a fleet? That way you get a semi-useful planet by Christmas which will hopefully help to bolster your now growing empire :D

Aye... but if I can spend that 108k on warships instead of arcs, then I can attack more colonized planets instead of having to build them up myself!

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #778: September 19, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
Aye... but if I can spend that 108k on warships instead of arcs, then I can attack more colonized planets instead of having to build them up myself!

True, but look at Oldry, he did exactly that and now he's cornered and probably going to be destroyed, save the couple of arcs he'll manage to sneak out.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #779: September 20, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
True, but look at Oldry, he did exactly that and now he's cornered and probably going to be destroyed, save the couple of arcs he'll manage to sneak out.

It is atrociously premature to say that someone with four planets is about to be destroyed. In his worst case he still gets to keep the planet with planetary defence. More likely he will lose none at all.