Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 533595 times)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #780: September 20, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »
More likely he will lose none at all.

Hmm, I'm sure he'll lose one eventually. Norrel (Slapsticks) and Largan (Addridae) are still growing, so they'll be able to contribute to the war effort in a little bit (unless they find their own war between now and then). I'm about to stop growing once I get the remaining planets around my home planet (only a couple more planets need arcs sending to them), so I'll be pumping a lot more into aggressive ships.

So short term, he might not lose a planet unless he really messes up. But longer term, I think he's really going to suffer for not expanding a little. We just need to keep a lid on him, try and make sure he doesn't sneak anything past us.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #781: September 20, 2011, 04:29:46 PM »
while there is an enemy fleet on your planet
 make one frigate
 make planetary defence
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:56:08 PM by Kai »

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #782: September 20, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »
while there is an enemy fleet on your planet
 make one frigate
 make planetary defence

Ahh yes, forgot about that >.<

Which makes me think, is one fleet good enough? Surely to be safe you should split your fleet into a few groups so you can rapidly conquer a planet?

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #783: September 20, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
Which makes me think, is one fleet good enough?

yes

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #784: September 20, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
my ship arrived in planet with enemy ship. clicking on planet shows both fleet in menu. still, doesn't explain why fleet on route can't be clicked on the map because the planet dot covered the fleet
firefox

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #785: September 20, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »
Nailed me another home planet, snatching it right out from underneath another guy's nose. He was attacking the planet, and I swooped in and took it 8)

Also, it has 103 million food on it O.o

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #786: September 20, 2011, 06:47:16 PM »
Nailed me another home planet, snatching it right out from underneath another guy's nose. He was attacking the planet, and I swooped in and took it 8)

Also, it has 103 million food on it O.o

Congratulations!

Did it have Farming Subsidies? That makes a planet produce a ridiculous amount of food. I have one planet with FS that's producing 222624 food next turn and it's only at Society Level 39. If that planet had the same population as my my home planet, it would be producing 12 million a turn.

Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with all that food because it was originally going to keep my home planet alive whilst I keep it levelling, but it will produce way more than necessary for that.

egamma

« Reply #787: September 20, 2011, 07:40:04 PM »
Enable trading on those planets and let merchants come and buy the excess food off you.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #788: September 20, 2011, 07:49:22 PM »
Enable trading on those planets and let merchants come and buy the excess food off you.

Exactly what I've already done, but with only Kai close enough, it doesn't seem to be working :P

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #789: September 20, 2011, 08:56:21 PM »
It did have farming subsidies. Scrapped now. I'll use the food to supply my original home, which is losing food now.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #790: September 21, 2011, 12:34:37 AM »
True, but look at Oldry, he did exactly that and now he's cornered and probably going to be destroyed, save the couple of arcs he'll manage to sneak out.

Just encountered another smallish fleet of Oldry trying to take over a newb. I very much doubt we will kill this guy, at best we will move him out of our area.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #791: September 21, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »
It is atrociously premature to say that someone with four planets is about to be destroyed. In his worst case he still gets to keep the planet with planetary defence. More likely he will lose none at all.

I've got some experience taking on planetary defence systems now. You have to be prepared to lose a good part of your fleet, but it is certainly not has hard as I would have though. Jahoren consistently took over planetary defence with 20-30 cruiser fleets. I've not had that kind of luck, but then most my targets had fleets defending them as well.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #792: September 21, 2011, 12:41:30 AM »
I've got some experience taking on planetary defence systems now.

Did adding padding help at all? Like having the same number of scouts (or other low cost ship) as the rest of your fleet?

egamma

« Reply #793: September 21, 2011, 01:54:17 AM »
Did adding padding help at all? Like having the same number of scouts (or other low cost ship) as the rest of your fleet?

Yes, could you simply send, say, 300 scouts to take over a planet?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #794: September 21, 2011, 02:27:34 AM »

Padding doesn't really seem to help, since each ship has the same percentage chance of destruction, you have just as much chance to lose the real fleet as you do the padding.Oddly enough small fleets often work better, since they have a good chance of taking no loses. My single SB has survived 8 turns within Oldry's planetary defence. Pity it  doesn't seem to engage the 100+ cruisers he has in orbit.

Yes, could you simply send, say, 300 scouts to take over a planet?

So long as you know the target won't try and defend, sending scout fleets works well. On another note, anyone know what the "screen" command does with scouts?