Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529000 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #795: September 21, 2011, 04:19:34 AM »
I still think its impossible to lose an actively defended planetary defence planet.

Is that single SBS set to attack?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #796: September 21, 2011, 12:15:42 PM »
So long as you know the target won't try and defend, sending scout fleets works well. On another note, anyone know what the "screen" command does with scouts?

I think it makes them attack other scouts.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #797: September 21, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »
I've not been reading here much, but I've been playing and I think I'm doing pretty well. My planets list is now 4 screens long, and I have 4 of them as provinces (culture > 50). For some reason, the production capacity of my home planet is ridiculously low, though. About 2-3 arcs a turn and that's it. I wonder if there's any way to boost it?

Also, I've started setting up my 2nd Regional Government planet and will try to boost that one up to be a major place.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:36:57 PM by Tom »

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #798: September 21, 2011, 02:18:46 PM »
For some reason, the production capacity of my home planet is ridiculously low, though. About 2-3 arcs a turn and that's it. I wonder if there's any way to boost it?

Where we are, I don't think so. The only way to boost production there reliably is to have it connected to other planets. But since connections only appear when planets are far apart, we're at a bit of a loss. You can try expanding your merchant fleet to bring in all the resources from your colonies, that seems to be working well for me - I get an extra 3/4 thousands steel a week coming back from my colonies, which can only go up as they start to produce more. You should also note that your production is only going to drop as your home planet gets more advanced, it loses 300 people a turn after level 90, which means steel production drops.

Other than that, you can increase the production of your empire by conquering other peoples' home planets.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #799: September 21, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
Cool, 54 cruisers attacking my home planet, gotta love jahroen...

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #800: September 21, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »
All upgrades on my newly conquered homeworlds are marked as inactive, does that mean I have to scrap them and upgrade again?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #801: September 21, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
Cool, 54 cruisers attacking my home planet, gotta love jahroen...

Boo! Can you defend against it?

All upgrades on my newly conquered homeworlds are marked as inactive, does that mean I have to scrap them and upgrade again?

Nope, it means you ran out of money to keep them active. You must have ended last turn with little to no Quatloos. As long as your budget wasn't negative at the turn change and you've not built anything that takes up too many Quatloos this turn, they'll all be active again after the next turn change.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #802: September 21, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »
Boo! Can you defend against it?

We shall see.... lets hope my defense kills a lot..

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #803: September 21, 2011, 05:57:25 PM »
while there is an enemy fleet on your planet
 make one frigate
 make planetary defence

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #804: September 21, 2011, 08:58:25 PM »
kingdante's planets are getting picked off.

For some reason, the production capacity of my home planet is ridiculously low, though. About 2-3 arcs a turn and that's it. I wonder if there's any way to boost it?

i think my home is 16k steel a turn.. so yours might well be better than mine.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:00:02 PM by fodder »
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #805: September 21, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
Kai's point is correct.

It is impossible to take a reasonably productive planet with an active player behind it as far as I can tell.

Reason is because the game FIRST processes planetary bombardments, THEN processes fights.

As far as I can tell, as long as Oldry keeps building scouts and frigates on Nu Fornpeia, we will never be able to take it.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #806: September 21, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »
Maybe one option would be a sort of galactic trench warfare.

I have a planet called Aleron HQ that has 46 society level, 30k people. Not the absolute best ratio, but could certainly be worse.

Whatever the case, it is fairly close to one of Oldry's planets. I'll be able to build PD on it within 2-3 weeks. Meaning within 4 weeks, I'll have PD stretching into Oldry's regional government zone.

I wonder what would happen if I colonized a planet close enough that, when it eventually got PD, it would be able to have an enemy planet within its range?

I think I may just try it. Send an arc and 50 subspacers (most efficient means of population transfer, for anyone who is curious) to some closer planet, as well as maybe 40 cruisers (I have another 40 in reserve at Aleron HQ). If I log every day, within 70-80 days we should have a PD covering Xi Monotes. Might not accomplish anything, but who knows?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #807: September 21, 2011, 10:58:28 PM »
Meh, well, my capital is too short on quatloos to provide 100 subspacers. By luckily the surrounding planets should be enough to boost population be a thousand or two. My target planet should be just in PD range. Hopefully I get it colonized before Oldry gets PD.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #808: September 21, 2011, 11:47:53 PM »
Maybe one option would be a sort of galactic trench warfare.

Or, we all hit the same planet at the same time with multiple large fleets (3/4 fleets each). Once we've wiped out his fleet stationed there, we then send in lots of fleets of single Cruisers. Since he only gets 16k Steel a day, which means 17 Frigates a day, we don't have to send in that many fleets. If he goes for Scouts (which he may or may not realise also works) then that's 66 fleets a day. Between the three of us I'm sure we can get up enough ships to counteract 66 fleets a day, whilst still keeping a large enough force on the planet to attack any large fleets he sends. It'll take some work (and a lot of co-ordination), but he can definitely be beaten. Once we get the first planet down, the rest should follow more swiftly because we'll have access to another source of Steel.

I think I may just try it. Send an arc and 50 subspacers (most efficient means of population transfer, for anyone who is curious)

Actually, on total resource count, Arcs are cheaper. It's just on Steel that Subspacers are cheaper, but then you rapidly start to run out of Quatloos. So in the beginning it's a great idea to use Subspacers because you start with a large reserve of Quatloos, but later on your reserves dwindle and you need them for fleets, meaning they're probably not the best thing to use.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #809: September 21, 2011, 11:49:27 PM »
I find JAH, frankly, to be rather frightening. Unlike uranus, who only attacks when you get on his bad side, it appears JAH is gobbling up everyone in his area of control.