Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529629 times)

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #855: September 27, 2011, 01:03:31 AM »
When food production goes negative, the government will automatically start pumping money into food production, but that eats into your quatloos of course...  The real problem is if you run out of quatloos, then you get starvation.
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #856: September 27, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
When food production goes negative, the government will automatically start pumping money into food production, but that eats into your quatloos of course...  The real problem is if you run out of quatloos, then you get starvation.

What society level should we aim for if we want a colony to be self sustaining?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #857: September 27, 2011, 04:59:27 AM »
Well, I should be able to scrap my PD within a few weeks as I build new PDs on cheap colonies a bit further out of my core.... hopefully I can do so before starvation kicks in. When that happens, I'll have piles of cash to sit on.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #858: September 27, 2011, 05:05:30 AM »
Well, I should be able to scrap my PD within a few weeks as I build new PDs on cheap colonies a bit further out of my core.... hopefully I can do so before starvation kicks in. When that happens, I'll have piles of cash to sit on.

I've just started on my new ring of PD. My plan is to build them along the rim of the regional government, close enough together to have two PD covering most angles. Then the interior planets will be production focused.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #859: September 27, 2011, 05:20:33 AM »
What society level should we aim for if we want a colony to be self sustaining?
IIRC someone suggested in this topic to aim for about level 80.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #860: September 27, 2011, 06:06:44 AM »
IIRC someone suggested in this topic to aim for about level 80.

AWWW damn, I need a way to lower society levels.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #861: September 27, 2011, 07:43:56 AM »
question is... do "normal" planets ever reach the ultra high pop of the homeplanets.. ever? i've stuck a mind control over cadfan's home planet that i captured (70 odd)
firefox

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #862: September 27, 2011, 07:54:32 AM »
Given enough time they will. My 1st colony is nearing 1 million, and two planets I conquered when they had around 100k have gone over 1 million already.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #863: September 27, 2011, 08:00:52 AM »
Given enough time they will. My 1st colony is nearing 1 million, and two planets I conquered when they had around 100k have gone over 1 million already.

My largest colony is now 3321720. I would assume that so long as I keep it fed, it will continue to grow.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #864: September 27, 2011, 08:05:36 AM »
which brings the question if one shouldn't just mind control basically all non food producers.. or leave a link nexus uncontrolled and have all linked ones controlled/farm.

---
incidentally.

is there a good size for merchant fleets? i'm in the process of scrapping my 1-2 merchants and leaving it all as 10 bulk or 10 merchants.. from every single planet.

or is that just overkill/inefficient? and should have split to 5 or so?

(reason for 10... 200q to budget)

---
sticking 20% tax on my home planet. and see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:11:48 AM by fodder »
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #865: September 27, 2011, 03:42:17 PM »
is there a good size for merchant fleets? i'm in the process of scrapping my 1-2 merchants and leaving it all as 10 bulk or 10 merchants.. from every single planet.

I just pick a number and build fleets of that size. When I get too many of them I scrap them and merge the fleets. So I started at fleets of 5. Then 10. Then 25. Next will be fleets of 50.

As long as it's inside your territory, I don't think it really matters because it's very unlikely that they'll be attacked. If you're sending outside your territory, then keeping them small is probably best as if they are attacked then you won't lose much.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #866: September 27, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
that's sort of not what i meant. when you have a fleet of 10 or 25.. are their holds full?
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #867: September 27, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »
when you have a fleet of 10 or 25.. are their holds full?

It depends what they're buying. If it's Food then yes, they can usually get a full load no matter what the size of the fleet is (unless you get silly and have thousands of merchants). Consumer Goods, Hydrocarbons and Steel depends on the production of the planet. Steel will probably cap at a few 50 ship fleets (depending on distance from your home planet) as it can only reach just shy of 17k on a regular planet. Rare resources (Unobtanium and Krell Metal) will never get full loads simply because of the price to buy them. You may get lucky and fill 1/2 ships, but you're very unlikely to have enough Quatloos on board to buy over 500 of those in a single go.

EDIT: Lost over a million people (1,634,668) on my home planet that turn. Realised that my Quatloos had disappeared so it couldn't have bought food like Dave said it would, likely from all the buying of Food and Steel that it's been doing lately. Put tax rate up to 20% so I can get some cash in. That also means means Long Range Sensors are much too expensive for what they do so I've scrapped them. Next turn I'll build loads of Blackbirds to cover the rest of my PD range around my home planet (like I've done with my secondary main planet).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:29:32 PM by Nathan »

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #868: September 27, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »
EDIT: Lost over a million people (1,634,668) on my home planet that turn. Realised that my Quatloos had disappeared so it couldn't have bought food like Dave said it would, likely from all the buying of Food and Steel that it's been doing lately. Put tax rate up to 20% so I can get some cash in. That also means means Long Range Sensors are much too expensive for what they do so I've scrapped them. Next turn I'll build loads of Blackbirds to cover the rest of my PD range around my home planet (like I've done with my secondary main planet).

I scrapped sensors on my home planet a long time ago. They're useless once you have a ring of planets around you that are lower population and therefore cheaper to build sensors on.

Rule of thumb: sensors and PDs should, ideally, be built on low-population planets, as that causes their actual expense to remain low, while their benefits are the same. Ultimately, such upgrades on home planets are maximally inefficient if any other option is available. Building a colony right beside your home planet then mind controlling it at 30 society just to build sensors on it is probably more efficient than building them on your home planet.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #869: September 27, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »
Oh and, Kai... you noticed Oldry has 64 cruisers approaching your newly captured home planet Iota Circnae 7, on your northwest fringe?