Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529480 times)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #870: September 27, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »
Building a colony right beside your home planet then mind controlling it at 30 society just to build sensors on it is probably more efficient than building them on your home planet.

Hmm, interesting experiment to be had there. I wonder how much steel/etc you can get from a level 35 planet with maximum population - basically, when does max population stop growing and start shrinking? If it's quite early on, then getting MC at 75-85 like we've been thinking might actually be way off.

Also, I just noticed we (the forum) got a shout out on Dave's mailing list. Thanks very much Dave, if even none of those players decides to play BM because of it I'm sure Tom will thank you :D

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #871: September 28, 2011, 12:14:14 AM »
Hmm, interesting experiment to be had there. I wonder how much steel/etc you can get from a level 35 planet with maximum population - basically, when does max population stop growing and start shrinking? If it's quite early on, then getting MC at 75-85 like we've been thinking might actually be way off.

Population maxes at about 90-95 somewhere. Not early on.

Food production maxes at about 50-60.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #872: September 28, 2011, 12:40:48 AM »
Population maxes at about 90-95 somewhere. Not early on.

I'm sure mine started falling much earlier than that. If I could be bothered to go back through this thread, I know I mentioned it somewhere when I noticed mine starting to drop.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #873: September 28, 2011, 03:36:38 AM »
I'm sure mine started falling much earlier than that. If I could be bothered to go back through this thread, I know I mentioned it somewhere when I noticed mine starting to drop.

So I just noticed my first planet has no food, would be nice if things like that were mentioned in the turn report. Guess I need more bulk freighters, my problem is the ones I built for that planet have decided to go off trading somewhere distant.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #874: September 28, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »

Then you either built a huge fleet, or accidentally sold all of your food, or got attacked, or had some weird bug. Because mine are still growing and, moreover, the resource graph indicates population growth until 90ish society.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #875: September 28, 2011, 12:59:11 PM »
Okay I'm starting to get so many planets that I simply don't have time to work out which are where, doing what and manage upgrades. I can't imagine how the top players manage it.

it looks as if the longer you play, the more colonies you get, and the longer it takes to manage them all, making the game seem lightweight to start, and then take ages in, say, six months' time.  And that feels rather like Tribal Wars, which scares me.

I guess that just confirms my earlier suspicions... which is why I dropped out of playing some time ago, I'm afraid.  And you're not even up to six months yet ;-)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #876: September 28, 2011, 02:40:43 PM »
I guess that just confirms my earlier suspicions... which is why I dropped out of playing some time ago, I'm afraid.  And you're not even up to six months yet ;-)

Nothing forces you to have as many colonies as I do, I just can't resist it. The game has few goals, really if you wanted you could just build yourself a nice heavily defended little core, and go raiding your allies if that floats your boat. It is also pathetically easy to defend yourself right now.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #877: September 28, 2011, 02:58:12 PM »
I'm considering a big gamble... one of my neighbors has been inactive for a week now. Right near one of my conquered homeworlds he has a cluster of huge planets, with half a dozen having 10 million people or more, and active matter synths on most of them. No planetary defense systems are in place, so I will send a bunch of blackbirds to figure out if and how many war fleets he has in the area. If it proves to be a viable endeavor, I will build war fleets and conquer a bunch of these big worlds. If I succeed, I would become a regional superpower...

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #878: September 28, 2011, 03:02:35 PM »
I'm considering a big gamble... one of my neighbors has been inactive for a week now. Right near one of my conquered homeworlds he has a cluster of huge planets, with half a dozen having 10 million people or more, and active matter synths on most of them. No planetary defense systems are in place, so I will send a bunch of blackbirds to figure out if and how many war fleets he has in the area. If it proves to be a viable endeavor, I will build war fleets and conquer a bunch of these big worlds. If I succeed, I would become a regional superpower...

Build the war fleet as well and sit it outside his planets. If your Blackbirds confirm they're empty, swoop in immediately and take them.

You'll want to do this fairly quickly as I'm sure other players have noticed this too.

EDIT: Ouch, Military Base, Planetary Defence and Slingshot all went inactive today. Mind Control has just finished so I'll stay at this amount of food loss for now. Population has gone back up so I'm getting the cash in that I need. I just wish it told me how much cash goes on food so that I could plan out my upgrades a little better >.<
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:10:56 PM by Nathan »

egamma

« Reply #879: September 28, 2011, 03:26:48 PM »

why not let us share? let us help tear apart the corpse!

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #880: September 28, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »
My idea is the following:

Two or three big fleets made up of several dozen cruisers, to deal with any fleets of his in the area.
A fair number of smaller fleets, say 4-5 cruisers a piece, to assist in battles or planetary assaults depending on the necessity.
A boatload of small, expendable fleets, say 1-2 frigates/destroyers each, to pick off planets, using around 5 fleets per planet to increase success rate.

My problem is that my two homeworlds closest to this guy (dreadlock, if you want to look him up) are not producing much steel. Alpha Luriae has too little population and produces only about 2.5k a day. Alpha Capetiae has farm subsidies that reduce steel production but I can scrap it long enough to boost production again for a while.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #881: September 28, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »
why not let us share? let us help tear apart the corpse!

You're welcome to join, plenty of huge planets to go around. You'll have to go a long distance to get there though, I'm one of the southernmost players in the galaxy right now.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #882: September 28, 2011, 05:09:17 PM »
I like having a lot of planets. It makes it hard for people to invade me. I'll have so many crappy planets on the outer rims of my empire it wouldn't be worth it very much to invade those planets. Meanwhile my core planets will have greater capacity to build fleets for a counter attack.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #883: September 28, 2011, 05:25:08 PM »
Adriddae, you're still somewhat close to me, and closer to dreadlock. Wanna help me take this guy apart?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #884: September 28, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »
Adriddae, you're still somewhat close to me, and closer to dreadlock. Wanna help me take this guy apart?

My friend (maverick) is also after dreadlock. Dreadlock took mav's main planet so he wants it back (plus anything in the way). He's coming from the right side (just above Dave's Embassy 4).