Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529377 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #900: September 29, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »
So really, my strategy a few weeks back of sending 5-10 arcs to each planet was a complete waste. Oh well, at least I managed to use a few of them to send out arcs (most of them have had their steel removed though).
is it a waste though? if you send out lots of arcs.. it means you can build upgrades and ships from that planet earlier (or at least allows you to build a fleet of 10 merchants! right from the get go)

or for that matter.. if it's linked, recycle resources.

mind you... i guess that only matters if low tax rate increase pop growth,  because the 10 merchant fleet is really there to give 200 income for a "free" slingshot. (and potential for merchants to ship food to the right places, if lucky.) obviously you can use tax for the 200 income instead.

There we go, PD turns up at level 61. So I think Vellos might be right about needing other upgrades before being able to build a PD.
well...

lvl 63 - no ms1 - no mb or pd in build list
lvl 64 - has ms1 - has mb and pd in build list
lvl 58 - has ms1 - no mb or pd in build list
lvl 67 - has ms1 - has md and pd in build list

so.. maybe i should build ms1 in my high lvl farm sub planets just to build pd there?

------
incidentally, is there a need to mind control planets that have farm sub?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:38:50 PM by fodder »
firefox

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #901: September 29, 2011, 06:14:41 PM »
EDIT: Ouch, Military Base, Planetary Defence and Slingshot all went inactive today. Mind Control has just finished so I'll stay at this amount of food loss for now. Population has gone back up so I'm getting the cash in that I need. I just wish it told me how much cash goes on food so that I could plan out my upgrades a little better >.<

I will fix this. 
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #902: September 29, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »
Oh, and I need to make a diagram for the tech tree, that would probably be helpful, wouldn't it?
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #903: September 29, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »
Oh, and I need to make a diagram for the tech tree, that would probably be helpful, wouldn't it?

Very :)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #904: September 29, 2011, 09:21:50 PM »
Nope.

I THINK you might need it to build the upgrades themselves; like, no MS2 unless MS1, no Military Base unless MS2, no PD unless MB... But I'm not even sure about that.

I could build MB on a planet that has no MS2, so I think it merely has to do with society level. I think level 60 allows you to build MB.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #905: September 29, 2011, 10:09:15 PM »
lvl 63 - no ms1 - no mb or pd in build list
lvl 64 - has ms1 - has mb and pd in build list
lvl 58 - has ms1 - no mb or pd in build list
lvl 67 - has ms1 - has md and pd in build list

so.. maybe i should build ms1 in my high lvl farm sub planets just to build pd there?

Looks like you have to be over 60 for sure then, and also have MS1. That's not too huge a barrier. Maybe just an extra 4-5 days or so, right?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #906: September 30, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »
i think i'll stick my 1st colony as a pd + farm... and see what happens. it's low on iron which i forgot about and can't look up (aside from the old turn reports which i stopped a while back), it's got a ms1 though.

i hope i didn't stick a farm in a low food planet... XD
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #907: September 30, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »
!@#$, Oldry sent 470 subspacers against an outlying colony I invested tons of resources into. That's 3760 attack value.

I've invested a !@#$load of resources into that colony.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #908: September 30, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »
Mind Control went inactive on my home today, which probably means food requirements are even higher now ¬¬

I'm hoping that if I don't build anything there, I'll be able to get a decent stockpile of cash up so that I can stop worrying about things going offline. Scrapped Trade Incentives today to try and save a bit of cash. Thinking I might have to bring all of those Blackbirds back and scrap them too so I can save on fleet costs (although they are useful, so they'll go back at some point).

i think i'll stick my 1st colony as a pd + farm... and see what happens. it's low on iron which i forgot about and can't look up (aside from the old turn reports which i stopped a while back), it's got a ms1 though.

i hope i didn't stick a farm in a low food planet... XD

I've yet to see a "below average" planet, despite taking quite a few :S

!@#$, Oldry sent 470 subspacers against an outlying colony I invested tons of resources into. That's 3760 attack value.

I've invested a !@#$load of resources into that colony.

Wow, that guys is pretty desperate to get rid of you. Send in 1 SBS and then just keep building 1 scout set to Planetary Defence there each day? That should do until Dave fixes it, at which point I'd suggest rolling up in a ball and crying. Reason for 1 SBS is that it should only be engaging 2 SS a turn, which means it's 16 attack versus 14 defence each turn, he has to get rather lucky to take it out.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #909: September 30, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »
Well, the game is afoot now. I've sent some two dozen fleets towards dreadlock, a few big ones to mop up his ships in the area and around 20 small ones to snatch up planets left and right, including at least 6 planets with upwards of 8 million people. None of the targeted planets have PD on them, so I should have little trouble taking them as long as I can kill off his ships quickly. If all goes well, expect to see me make a dramatic jump in the scoreboards in the coming weeks.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #910: September 30, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »
Mind Control went inactive on my home today, which probably means food requirements are even higher now ¬¬

I'm hoping that if I don't build anything there, I'll be able to get a decent stockpile of cash up so that I can stop worrying about things going offline. Scrapped Trade Incentives today to try and save a bit of cash. Thinking I might have to bring all of those Blackbirds back and scrap them too so I can save on fleet costs (although they are useful, so they'll go back at some point).

I've yet to see a "below average" planet, despite taking quite a few :S

Wow, that guys is pretty desperate to get rid of you. Send in 1 SBS and then just keep building 1 scout set to Planetary Defence there each day? That should do until Dave fixes it, at which point I'd suggest rolling up in a ball and crying. Reason for 1 SBS is that it should only be engaging 2 SS a turn, which means it's 16 attack versus 14 defence each turn, he has to get rather lucky to take it out.

Trying, but Oldry was clever. He hit my minor colony with 40 cruisers. I retaliated with 60 destroyers. I killed that fleet. But that drew most of my resources out. Now I've got to turn my fleet around (20-something destroyers) and get back to Airstrip 3. Disband all my destroyers that survive, and use the remaining resources to build scouts.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #911: September 30, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
Trying, but Oldry was clever. He hit my minor colony with 40 cruisers. I retaliated with 60 destroyers. I killed that fleet. But that drew most of my resources out. Now I've got to turn my fleet around (20-something destroyers) and get back to Airstrip 3. Disband all my destroyers that survive, and use the remaining resources to build scouts.

Haha, clever guy. I did something similar with PeterKaan, works rather well :P

Be careful about moving your fleet about. If I was Oldry, I might leave a few fleets in space set to Pirates in case you have ships moving around.

Is anyone able to fund a scout ring around his planets? If we sit them all just outside his sensor range, we should be able to catch most ships that move through it and see where they're heading. Hopefully, since it's close to his planet, his ships won't have enough speed to slip through it (like seems to be the case when he wandered through my ring with an arc).

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #912: October 01, 2011, 03:53:55 AM »
Scout rings cost negligible resources, so do it yourself.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #913: October 01, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »
Scout rings cost negligible resources, so do it yourself.

If you haven't been keeping up, my resources are less than negligible at the moment ;)

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #914: October 01, 2011, 03:12:15 PM »
Dav3xor I've noticed that when my connected planets share resources they are only able to use resources locally and one connection out.  My question is, is this supposed to be how it works?  Or should the planet be able share resources with any planet connected to it through a chain?

A connects to B connects to C connects to D.

Currently A can only get resources from B, but I can't build something on A that uses resources from C and D even though they are connected.

Also, in the future will there be a function where you can pay some amount of resources to make a connection between two planets?  I think it would help keep with your ease of play that you are going for, because it doesn't force you to have pages upon pages of merchants running around your empire to collect funds just because you can't make connections.  Thus simplifying the fleet management aspect of the game as well as the merchant portion of the aspect.