Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529201 times)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #930: October 03, 2011, 05:44:10 PM »
BM Forum Name    Dave's Galaxy Name     Capital Planet Location ID

Ramiel                     Lucas Avis                              (1780.2,2039.2 )
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #931: October 03, 2011, 06:48:39 PM »
BM Forum Name    Dave's Galaxy Name     Capital Planet Location ID

Ramiel                     Lucas Avis                              (1780.2,2039.2 )

Glad we can entice another BMer into the fold!

I've found you. You seem to be far away from everything, ever. Your nearest neighbour is Sacha, but even he's about a month away. On the plus side, you don't have to worry about being picked on by the bug guys :D

johndoenuts to your right (quite far to your right) seems to be inactive. He has a level 1 planet with an odd number of people on it. You can check on the neighbours tab (might only populate next turn). If you fancy grabbing another planet, his might be your best choice.

It should liven up around there fairly shortly as I'd guess players will start spawning there soon.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #932: October 03, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »
Glad we can entice another BMer into the fold!

I've found you. You seem to be far away from everything, ever. Your nearest neighbour is Sacha, but even he's about a month away. On the plus side, you don't have to worry about being picked on by the bug guys :D

johndoenuts to your right (quite far to your right) seems to be inactive. He has a level 1 planet with an odd number of people on it. You can check on the neighbours tab (might only populate next turn). If you fancy grabbing another planet, his might be your best choice.

It should liven up around there fairly shortly as I'd guess players will start spawning there soon.

I do feel ever so lonely :(

If he is inactive I shall do my best to go kill him!

For the moment though, going to try colonising what I can and seeing what happens :D

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #933: October 03, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »
For the moment though, going to try colonising what I can and seeing what happens :D

In that case, I highly recommend colonising "Psi Caetooine 3" with 3 colony ships. If that means waiting, it's probably a good idea. On my first colony I'm hardly producing anything and that was founded 72 days ago with 1 colony ship. Even if I tripled the resources (i.e. sent 3 colony ships) there it wouldn't be great, but it'd be enough to actually contribute something.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #934: October 04, 2011, 12:23:19 AM »
Question: is it a viable tactic to move resources (mainly steel) from point A to B by building a huge fleet on A, sending it to B and scrapping it?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #935: October 04, 2011, 12:44:49 AM »
Question: is it a viable tactic to move resources (mainly steel) from point A to B by building a huge fleet on A, sending it to B and scrapping it?

Careful what kind of ship you use. This can result in the shifting of tons of other resources as well: most notably quatloos, food, and people.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #936: October 04, 2011, 12:49:56 AM »
Careful what kind of ship you use. This can result in the shifting of tons of other resources as well: most notably quatloos, food, and people.

I'd echo this. Your best bet for steel is scouts, but then you're still moving loads of other resources.

If you're going to do it on a colony, then wait until it's got a big enough population that you're not moving a large % of the people. If you want to get steel from your home planet to somewhere else, then same applies for when you get it there and build something.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #937: October 04, 2011, 01:28:48 AM »
In that case, I highly recommend colonising "Psi Caetooine 3" with 3 colony ships. If that means waiting, it's probably a good idea. On my first colony I'm hardly producing anything and that was founded 72 days ago with 1 colony ship. Even if I tripled the resources (i.e. sent 3 colony ships) there it wouldn't be great, but it'd be enough to actually contribute something.

So I shouldnt send 1 Arc there and another Arc to Pi Ophiuchimeda? Cos Sacha said to send 1 arc to 1 planet :S

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #938: October 04, 2011, 01:50:59 AM »
So I shouldnt send 1 Arc there and another Arc to Pi Ophiuchimeda? Cos Sacha said to send 1 arc to 1 planet :S

Nah, if you send 1 arc it takes about 3 and a bit months before the planet becomes profitable. 3 arcs and you're profitable in about 2 and a half. The sooner you get your second profitable planet, the better. Doesn't matter if that's another player's planet or your own colony (with another player being much quicker), you start to advance at a much quicker rate. Having that extra profitable planet just gives you more flexibility in what you want.

Take Kai for example, he can plough resources into his military fleet and still build arcs if he wanted to. But I have to choose between the two because I've only got 2 profitable planets as opposed to his 5 (I think, the website is down for me so I can't check). But 5 of my colonies are going to start being helpful fairly soon, with another few shortly after. However I think Kai's colonies are lacking a bit (as I recall, he built a lot of ships on them early on), so he'll take longer for his colonies to be helpful.

So considering your lack of potential targets nearby, having a decent colony further down the line (and one so ridiculously close to your home planet) is a really big help, even if you decide to go down the militaristic route.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #939: October 04, 2011, 02:06:56 AM »

The planets I want to shift steel away from aren't very useful to me atm. No enemies near, hardly anyone to conquer even. And the destination planet is right on the frontline of what might become a huge war involving more than half a dozen factions, I could really use a 500k steel bonus there, as well as unobtanium and krellmetal.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #940: October 04, 2011, 04:15:46 AM »
Scouts are a terrible way to move steel.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #941: October 04, 2011, 04:19:58 AM »
Yes, well, everything people do in this game is terrible to you so there :)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #942: October 04, 2011, 04:23:07 AM »
Scouts are a terrible way to move steel.

Then suggest a better one.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #943: October 04, 2011, 10:12:03 AM »
just noticed ms2 appears in my lvl 71 planet that has ms1 built already. doesn't require military base.

there's a lvl 68 with ms1 built but no ms2 on list.. so appears around 70 then?

---
stupid of me not to make circular routes for food trades to feed home planet. done now. 6 food producing planets to force feed home.

probably plonk pd on all of them... overkill? XD

---
what is hydrocarbon used for? anyone ever run out of those yet?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:34:26 AM by fodder »
firefox

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #944: October 04, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »
Nah, if you send 1 arc it takes about 3 and a bit months before the planet becomes profitable. 3 arcs and you're profitable in about 2 and a half. The sooner you get your second profitable planet, the better. Doesn't matter if that's another player's planet or your own colony (with another player being much quicker), you start to advance at a much quicker rate. Having that extra profitable planet just gives you more flexibility in what you want.

Take Kai for example, he can plough resources into his military fleet and still build arcs if he wanted to. But I have to choose between the two because I've only got 2 profitable planets as opposed to his 5 (I think, the website is down for me so I can't check). But 5 of my colonies are going to start being helpful fairly soon, with another few shortly after. However I think Kai's colonies are lacking a bit (as I recall, he built a lot of ships on them early on), so he'll take longer for his colonies to be helpful.

So considering your lack of potential targets nearby, having a decent colony further down the line (and one so ridiculously close to your home planet) is a really big help, even if you decide to go down the militaristic route.

Hmm can I make more arcs and send them to an already colonised planet?