Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529102 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #945: October 04, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »
yes

it'll auto add people/resources to the colony... but  i think a funny thing happens when you do that.. your tax rate goes back to 7.0..

or it could just be me forgetting to change the rate
firefox

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #946: October 04, 2011, 10:50:23 AM »
yes

it'll auto add people/resources to the colony... but  i think a funny thing happens when you do that.. your tax rate goes back to 7.0..

or it could just be me forgetting to change the rate

Cheers Fodder :D
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #947: October 04, 2011, 06:13:47 PM »
I just signed up for this thing and it looks awesome.  If you're hunting for me, I'm at (2040.1, 1806.6).  I'm going the trade and RP-heavy route, so new neighbors are always welcome!

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #948: October 04, 2011, 06:19:48 PM »
interestingly, on one of my food subsidy planets, which is building a ms1, everything (sling, trade incentive, food subsidy) has shut down

not sure why. it ran out of money buying material for building the ms1 and so shut down everything to get the 10k income for this turn to buy stuff for building?

going on strike because i whacked the tax up to 20%? can't be.
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #949: October 04, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »
I just signed up for this thing and it looks awesome.  If you're hunting for me, I'm at (2040.1, 1806.6).  I'm going the trade and RP-heavy route, so new neighbors are always welcome!

Tip: build bulkfreighters instead of merchantmen. If you start accumulating BFs (and therefore food as well) early, you might not face the same starvation problems the rest of us may soon have.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #950: October 04, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
Anyone try pirating yet?  :D

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #951: October 04, 2011, 07:48:15 PM »

Welcome! If you look to your left, find the nearest big empire (piffy, green sensor range). Below him is Dave (in pink), the creator of the game. Below Dave is fodder (in yellow). Left of piffy is squishymaster (dark red). There were originally 2 other BMers down there, but they quit :(

I would recommend your first action is to colonise Xi Aurinus with 3 arcs. After that, merchants, merchants and more merchants! Also, high tax rate so you can actually buy everything your merchants bring home :P

not sure why. it ran out of money buying material for building the ms1 and so shut down everything to get the 10k income for this turn to buy stuff for building?

Possibly.

Tip: build bulkfreighters instead of merchantmen. If you start accumulating BFs (and therefore food as well) early, you might not face the same starvation problems the rest of us may soon have.

Or, build Merchantmen and just build Mind Control at level 75 :P That way they won't have the food crisis because their planets will always create a surplus.

Anyone try pirating yet?  :D

I had a pirate fleet on Oldry's planet, but seems that you only get the enemy fleet if they're overpowered.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #952: October 04, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
seriously.. if you build food subsidy and make circular trade route and assign a fleet to it, i think food won't be too much of a problem (i just assigned mine.. no idea what it'll look like)
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #953: October 04, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »
seriously.. if you build food subsidy and make circular trade route and assign a fleet to it, i think food won't be too much of a problem (i just assigned mine.. no idea what it'll look like)

The problem is the food subsidies. That takes away a lot from steel production, which is in great demand at the moment. My home planet seems to be doing ok now that I've scrapped a few upgrades, increased the tax rate and had my BulkFrieghters sent out to get food. I might have to put everyone on a "get food" route though since they seem to wander off at times >.<

EDIT: Slightly annoying that I can't select some of my trading fleets because they're hidden underneath a planet, so I'll have to grab them tomorrow. Will also leave my merchants to do what they want, they're selling Consumer Goods to all my colonies and thus financing all these food purchases.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:25:51 PM by Nathan »

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #954: October 04, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »
yeah.. that's why you build it on some closeby planet, preferably iron poor.

apparently my 2606934 pop lvl 72 planet (very 1st colony, built from 2 ships.. heh)

is supposed to produce 4504245 food next turn...

eh?

and it's got a pd too, leaving the ship building planets without needing to pay for a pd.

beats me how that works out as i haven't been building any warships really. but as illustration, i have a 700k pop planet @ lvl 69 that produces only 700 steel... sacrificing 1 of those to feed the home is probably not too much of an ask.

that said.. having 6 food + pd planets around home is a bit of an overkill.. XD at least they can feed other planets eventually. assuming that leaving them non mind controlled won't end up draining all its food eventually.. making it completely useless.

----
btw.. have you tried using the fleet overview screen to order your "hidden" fleet around?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:33:33 PM by fodder »
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #955: October 04, 2011, 08:48:50 PM »
apparently my 2606934 pop lvl 72 planet (very 1st colony, built from 2 ships.. heh)

Interesting, my lvl 72 planet formed from 1 ship has 1468574 people on it.

A single food planet can probably keep everyone in the sector supplied once it reaches max population, since it'll be making around 18 million in surplus every turn.

Also, Farming Subsidies, Mind Control, Slingshot and Planetary Defence bring a planet to 100% of your budget. You'll go over budget trying to get to that, but it seems like a nice mix of upgrades if you've got a small stack of Quatloos to let you go over budget for a few days.

assuming that leaving them non mind controlled won't end up draining all its food eventually.. making it completely useless.

It will, eventually :P

btw.. have you tried using the fleet overview screen to order your "hidden" fleet around?

Yup, but you can't put them on routes that way.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #956: October 04, 2011, 09:55:54 PM »
i think what you can do is to make them go somewhere that you can see the line. then click on the line itself (rather than the dot) to select ship menu.
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #957: October 04, 2011, 10:06:59 PM »
i think what you can do is to make them go somewhere that you can see the line. then click on the line itself (rather than the dot) to select ship menu.

Cheers, that worked. One of the fleets was right next to my home planet with food and decided it wanted to go back to the food selling planet when I assigned it to the route, so I decided to let it sell its food next turn and then assign it to the route.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #958: October 05, 2011, 03:00:55 AM »
Tip: don't listen to Vellos

There's much easier ways to deal with starvation than crippling your fleet steel.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #959: October 05, 2011, 03:30:40 AM »
Care to share some of your infinite wisdom for a change, rather than just pointing out how everyone else sucks at this game?