Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529501 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #960: October 05, 2011, 03:32:09 AM »
Tip: don't listen to Vellos

There's much easier ways to deal with starvation than crippling your fleet steel.

And again you post without offering and real insight into what these easier ways might be. I'm happy if you have a dissenting view, but if all you are going to post is, "no that is wrong" then get back to the 2nd grade and leave the rest of us to have an actual discussion.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #961: October 05, 2011, 03:54:11 AM »
Jack your taxes to 20 or use MC.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #962: October 05, 2011, 04:06:10 AM »
Jack your taxes to 20 or use MC.

How is jacking your taxes going to magically provide food? Sure fine if there is someone with a large fleet nearby that will service your food needs, but otherwise? Oh I see, you are talking about stopping from getting the to stage of starvation, no wonder your input is so useless, we are talking about controlling starvation once it happens.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:11:20 AM by De-Legro »

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #963: October 05, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »
How is jacking your taxes going to magically provide food?

Because as Dave said a few pages back, once you start to starve, your people eat money. Or, more precisely, your government will magically buy food from nowhere at great cost to your Quatloos. Therefore, the more Quatloos you have, the more food you can buy and the less people have to eat each other.

Obviously, the best way to solve starvation is the nip it in the bud before it happens by building Mind Control. But unfortunately a lot of us, including Kai, aren't in that position any more.

Kai, if you do start needing food for your home planet, you may as well make use of my food providing planet. Once it reaches max capacity it'll be producing 18 million food a turn (it already produces 1 million a turn), it's fairly obviously labelled so you should be able to find it :P

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #964: October 05, 2011, 03:21:37 PM »
I wonder how big you can go without going insane. I now have 5 pages of planets, and I would lie if I would say I'm even trying to manage most of them. Hm.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #965: October 05, 2011, 03:39:55 PM »
Because as Dave said a few pages back, once you start to starve, your people eat money. Or, more precisely, your government will magically buy food from nowhere at great cost to your Quatloos. Therefore, the more Quatloos you have, the more food you can buy and the less people have to eat each other.

Obviously, the best way to solve starvation is the nip it in the bud before it happens by building Mind Control. But unfortunately a lot of us, including Kai, aren't in that position any more.

Kai, if you do start needing food for your home planet, you may as well make use of my food providing planet. Once it reaches max capacity it'll be producing 18 million food a turn (it already produces 1 million a turn), it's fairly obviously labelled so you should be able to find it :P

Funnily enough, with taxes on 20 my money is increasing and there hasn't been mass die-offs. I must be magical.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #966: October 05, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »

apparently my 2606934 pop lvl 72 planet (very 1st colony, built from 2 ships.. heh)

Interesting, my lvl 72 planet formed from 1 ship has 1468574 people on it.

And I have a level 58 planet from 1 ship that has 800,000 people (it's been MCed and Food Subsidies for a while).

Obviously, if you ever made any ships on the planet (I did), that effects population forever, as growth is a function of existing population.

But... I'm beginning to wonder... you don't suppose tax rate and population growth rate might be inversely related, do you?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #967: October 05, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
But... I'm beginning to wonder... you don't suppose tax rate and population growth rate might be inversely related, do you?

I originally thought that, but they're not. I was lucky enough to have 3 planets formed on the same turn with the same amount of arcs. So I had one with 20% tax, another with 10% tax, the other with 0% tax. There was no difference in population growth. I then thought it might be linked to resource production, but again, it isn't. I might try again when they have much larger populations in case the effect is only small.

The only reason for having a lower tax rate is if you're running a deficit, that way you can reduce the amount you're paying out so you only need to build fewer trade ships to make a profit.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #968: October 05, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
they are not? then i'm going to stick all my 0% planets to 20% then... totally don't understand the tax rate thing.

---
mind you.. i'm sort of using tax rate to note which planet is doing what (rather than renaming it to make it obvious to man and dog).. or at least that was the plan... XD
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:28:37 PM by fodder »
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #969: October 05, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
Yeah, I worried my planet names might make it too obvious... but I really don't care that much.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #970: October 05, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »
Yeah, I worried my planet names might make it too obvious... but I really don't care that much.

The only thing giving away mine is the notes I had to make on their "above average" stats, other than that, I don't think anyone can tell the difference between "Alpha Orbiter A" and "Alpha Orbiter B" :P

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #971: October 05, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »
the bonus/malus stuff should really be shown on the planet screen.

though.. for steel, i just look up the pop number and production to see if they don't sort of match.. still, not exactly convenient.
--
ps.. i'll ask again. is there any point in building a drilling subsidy? as in, has anyone run out of hydrocarbons yet? i'm thinking of converting one of my food sub into a drill sub.
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #972: October 05, 2011, 10:23:57 PM »
ps.. i'll ask again. is there any point in building a drilling subsidy? as in, has anyone run out of hydrocarbons yet? i'm thinking of converting one of my food sub into a drill sub.

No idea, I'd guess it's the same as running out of food, except you don't lose population? You just end up pumping Quatloos into it. I've set up Drilling Subsidies on a planet that has above average petroleum just in case anything bad happens.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #973: October 06, 2011, 03:02:34 AM »
the bonus/malus stuff should really be shown on the planet screen.

though.. for steel, i just look up the pop number and production to see if they don't sort of match.. still, not exactly convenient.
--

My planets that no longer produce food, also no longer produce hydrocarbons, so I guess it can be a problem.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #974: October 06, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »
Ugh, Mind Control went inactive again today, meaning it now takes more food/Quatloos to feed the people there ¬¬

I don't see how this is possible if I'm not running a deficit and I don't have 0 food. The previous turn I'd had a lot of food sold to my home planet and it wasn't all depleted this turn, so no Quatloos were used to stop starvation. So what the heck is going on? This is just getting frustrating now ¬¬ I've scrapped Matter Synth 1 in order to get more Quatloos in.

I'm wondering if I might be better off scrapping all my Bulkfreighters, buying Merchantmen instead. That way I get a larger per-turn income to buy food with instead of relying on the food coming from another planet. The only problem is that I don't know how much it costs to convert Quatloos to food each turn. I could also just stick those on a route between my food planet and my home planet and hope they come back with food (unlike Bulkfreighters, which I know will come back with food).

It takes 10 turns for a BF to get to my food planet and back. Last turn my 50 BFs brought back 50,000 food which was bought for 350,000q. So 1 BF brought back 1000 food for 7000q. 10 turns made me 300q from 1 BF. I can get 3 Merchantmen per 1 Bulkfreighter (steel cost, everything else is more expensive, but far less important), so I can bring back 1.5x more food and get 2x more Quatloos. Unfortunately I'm failing in working out the rest of the maths to figure out what's more profitable. I'm leaning towards Merchantmen, but without knowing what food is bought for each turn, I can't say if I'm right (part of me even thinks scrapping all my trading fleet would be more profitable because buying the food when they get home is just too much of a hit).

Also, one of my fleets put onto a route didn't move. It was sat on my home planet last turn, I put it on a route that goes between my home planet and my food producing planet. This turn, it didn't move.