Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529622 times)

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #975: October 06, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
Chil, another wave of 100 cruisers attacking my planets from Jahroen, almost tempted to restart somewhere else....

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #976: October 06, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »
Chil, another wave of 100 cruisers attacking my planets from Jahroen, almost tempted to restart somewhere else....

Nah, just get a Planetary Defence, build 1 scout a turn once he reaches your planet, wait until you can build a big enough fleet to defeat his remainders.

Also, I've updated the first page of this thread with everyone's locations. Could only update my post, so it's a few posts down, but at least we've got an up-to-date table of names now :D

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #977: October 06, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
Update on the war with dreadlock:

Built 100 frigates( I thought they were cruisers) and 60 subspacers. Hopefully these will help. The Subspacers will weave through his forces and pirate his merchants and disrupt his trade.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #978: October 06, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
Nah, just get a Planetary Defence, build 1 scout a turn once he reaches your planet, wait until you can build a big enough fleet to defeat his remainders.

Also, I've updated the first page of this thread with everyone's locations. Could only update my post, so it's a few posts down, but at least we've got an up-to-date table of names now :D

Yea, I can defend my planet, but if he keeps doing this I'm only defending the rest of hte game, which is rather boring. I wanna attack! ;p

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #979: October 06, 2011, 05:58:46 PM »
Yea, I can defend my planet, but if he keeps doing this I'm only defending the rest of hte game, which is rather boring. I wanna attack! ;p

Doesn't take much to defend, 250 steel a turn. Save the rest for a fleet, once he's gone, build it and then send it out to attack! Even better, use his own ships against him! Once you can build a fleet 2x his size, build it, set it to pirate, watch his ships become yours! :D

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #980: October 06, 2011, 06:03:36 PM »
I'm wondering if I might be better off scrapping all my Bulkfreighters, buying Merchantmen instead.

... what are you talking about. merchantment and bulkfreighters gives you Q per turn and eats food. bulkfreighters give more Q and eats the same amount of food, just slower accel
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #981: October 06, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
... what are you talking about. merchantment and bulkfreighters gives you Q per turn and eats food. bulkfreighters give more Q and eats the same amount of food, just slower accel

I completely forgot about them eating food >.<

In which case, they could definitely do with scrapping. If 1 food does cost me 7q to buy at turn tick (since that's what the market price is, so I'd assume it's just that), then I'm gaining 2q per turn from my Bulkfreighters and losing 8q a turn from my Merchantmen. Whenever they reach my home planet they always buy a lot less Quatloos worth of stuff than they sell back, meaning I'm making a massive loss on having them. For example:

Quote from: Yesterday's turn change
Fleet: Fleet #30991, 50 bulkfreighters (30991) Arrived at Alpha Core (3235997)
  Trading at Alpha Core (3235997)  selling 50000 food for 350000 quatloos.
  Trading at Alpha Core (3235997)  bought 5 antimatter with 5000 quatloos
  Trading at Alpha Core (3235997)  new destination = Alpha Orbiter R (3093590)

I lost 345000 Quatloos last turn. It obviously didn't go to my planet, else Mind Control wouldn't have gone inactive, so it just went to my Bulkfreighters, then out into space ¬¬ *cries*

</rage>

Idea! Dave said he wanted to reform trading (I think, unless I'm dreaming about DG now...), so:

3 types of trading ships:
1) Only trades in usable resources (steel, etc). Takes Quatloos from your home planet, buys goods from other planets, sells goods back to home planet.
2) Only deals in consumables (food & hydrocarbons). Takes Quatloos from home planet, buys these goods from other planets, gives them to your home planet for free.
3) Only deals in commodities (currently only Consumer Goods). Buys these goods from your planet, sells to others, brings home Quatloos. Either half of the returned Quatloos or a set amount (whichever is higher) is used to buy Consumer Goods again from your home planet, the rest is deposited on your home planet (this will result in fleets eventually getting richer, until they can no longer fit more in their holds).

That would actually make trading a bit more interesting and certainly useful.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #982: October 06, 2011, 08:03:42 PM »
i don't think they drop all the dole on your planet every time it goes home, do they? chances are the q is on those ships.

mind you.. my home planet has a budget surplus of not quite 500k it's not capped either. question is.. why bother with the cap if it starves anyway? surely the point of the cap is to make sure it produces enough food by itself at max pop by limiting lvl to around 80?
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #983: October 06, 2011, 08:15:43 PM »
chances are the q is on those ships.

Nope, 15q.

question is.. why bother with the cap if it starves anyway? surely the point of the cap is to make sure it produces enough food by itself at max pop by limiting lvl to around 80?

To stop people being able to bring in loads of food to keep a planet alive and have it producing ridiculous amounts of steel per turn?

Plus, food is just a % of the amount of people you have, so if you got MC at 80 then you'd forever gain population and therefore all resources. But if you got MC at 90 and let population keep growing, you'd get a bigger and bigger food deficit because the % of food from population is lower.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #984: October 06, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
yeah, but isn't Q a function of lvl and pop? i don't know how to read the chart, but since pop decreases after reaching around 16 mil or whatever stupid number it is, the food consumption remains roughly the same whilst you'll be getting more Q to feed the buggers if you've missed the boat to cap at 80 already?

ie.. if you are starving already, having a cap on doesn't help? so why keep the cap?

what level is your starving capped planet? is that your home planet?

----
if you planet paid your ship stupid amounts of money for the food and then you can't see the q on the ship and it's disappeared off the planet, surely that's a bug somewhere?

that's not counting the instances of a merchant buying something at high price to sell to somewhere at low or equal price.

mind you.. trading is strange anyway, your ships can sell stuff without the planet having paid fully for it. or at least it did.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:44:03 PM by fodder »
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #985: October 06, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »

I lost 345000 Quatloos last turn. It obviously didn't go to my planet, else Mind Control wouldn't have gone inactive, so it just went to my Bulkfreighters, then out into space ¬¬ *cries*

This seems like an extremely severe issue. It SHOULD have gone back to your BFs, thereby allowing them to purchase more food, or it should have gone into repurchases.

What about direct treasury deposits? Merchantmen and bulkfreighters do periodically just dump their quatloos into planet treasuries.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #986: October 06, 2011, 09:48:27 PM »
hang on... on 2nd thoughts (because i got the buying and selling mixed up in my earlier post!).. how much q did the planet have before and after the trade?

what might happened is that the planet didn't have all the much Q to start with (less than 350k)... then the ships sold 350k worth of goods without the planet having paid (in full) for it. it just zeroed out the planet's treasury and then the ship paid 5k for the goods it bought

obviously question still remains.. where did the ship's money go, the same magic money it got from the planet when it sold the food.
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #987: October 06, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »
What about direct treasury deposits? Merchantmen and bulkfreighters do periodically just dump their quatloos into planet treasuries.

If that had been the case, then the planet would have easily had enough Quatloos to pay for upkeep on the Mind Control, but it didn't and it went inactive.

I vaguely remember Dave saying something about trade being broken, but I can't remember where and I'm really not in the mood to go checking, so you'll just have to pretend I'm right. So I'll put it down to that and rage about it some more if I'm wrong ¬¬

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #988: October 07, 2011, 02:14:25 AM »

D'Este, I am fighting him as well, and on the balance I am winning. I hope soon to be operating more in your area, which should allow you to get back to taking all those planets. Also consider that Jahoren isn't an active player, he tends to log in 1-2 a week.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #989: October 07, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »
Yeah, I think trade is broken.  Crap, don't know why either, cause it used to work great, and I haven't changed it in a long time.  Same thing with taxes not affecting production -- that used to work too.  You could go back and forth between the budget and info panels, any change in tax rate changed the amount of produced goods.   These might be related as well.  Fleets that are free trading also seem to be not picking destinations very well, they should be making a greater variety of routes.

I've finished the Planetary Assault changes, I think they're pretty good, I might need to adjust the constants some, but I'll wait for feedback from players before I do.

I really do want to have an awesome game in every way possible, working desperately to fix this stuff, promise.
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy