Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529024 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1140: October 26, 2011, 09:33:53 AM »
Do you have just enough to pay for everything? I think it takes the Quatloos from trading and then upgrades before giving you income, which means if you don't have enough to pay for things before the turn change, something will go offline.

On one planet, I have almost 50k surplus, from 80k - so PD should cost me 8k. I see no reason at all why it should be offline. :(

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1141: October 26, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »
And planetary assaults seem to be for the big guys only now. I'm sending almost 200 cruisers to a planet with 3 mio. people, society 49 - and my surrender chance is 10%.

So, basically, it takes a mid-size empire of over 60 planets more than a week of pooling pretty much all its resources to create one assault force that is on the edge of not being ridiculous.

To me, that means even conquering my inactive neighbour is hopeless. It would take months just to get an invasion fleet large enough that I'd dare attack his home planet.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142: October 26, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »
On one planet, I have almost 50k surplus, from 80k - so PD should cost me 8k. I see no reason at all why it should be offline. :(

Same. That is quite odd. Was there a large trade on that planet that turn? That's the only thing that messes me up now.

I'm sending almost 200 cruisers to a planet with 3 mio. people, society 49 - and my surrender chance is 10%.

I think the chance is supposed to increase quite a bit over time as you kill people with your orbital bombardments, sway them with your big pointy sticks and generally make them give up on life under their former rulers. How much it increases and if it makes a difference is as yet unknown, but I think Dave said he might tweak it once people have had a play.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143: October 26, 2011, 11:26:38 PM »
Same. That is quite odd. Was there a large trade on that planet that turn? That's the only thing that messes me up now.

I think the chance is supposed to increase quite a bit over time as you kill people with your orbital bombardments, sway them with your big pointy sticks and generally make them give up on life under their former rulers. How much it increases and if it makes a difference is as yet unknown, but I think Dave said he might tweak it once people have had a play.

So far as I can tell the capitulation chance is based on Society Level, a big enough fleet will lower society levels when it bombards, so eventually you will improve the chance, just the planet will be probably much lower then you wanted. I'm having some success still with taking planets, and non of my fleets are that huge, but yeah its much slower then it used to be, and I've started making much bigger fleets.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144: October 26, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
is there anything left after you bomb it back to the stone age?
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145: October 26, 2011, 11:46:14 PM »
is there anything left after you bomb it back to the stone age?

Depends on just how much bombing you need to do really. Also something I've noticed, though other contest this. Multiple fleets will all attempt to take the planet, which can really speed up the process if you can't make large fleets.

Update for Tom I just built a 1250 destroyer fleet to head towards the planet we are assaulting, still only have a 15.7% chance of taking the planet. 95 destroyers have a 5.4% chance. 600 Cruisers, which cost less then the 1250 Destroyers actually have a 14.5% chance, so it looks like we need to start saving for large fleets of more powerful ships.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:32:17 AM by De-Legro »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146: October 27, 2011, 01:10:57 AM »
I'm almost done with fixing the trading system...  It was definitely broken.

I should add per-planet trade controls (i.e. 'only sell food on this planet'), but this change will make consumer goods more important on low society planets, which should keep the resources that you want concentrated were you want them (which was always my intention).

I will be adding a per planet 'happiness index' fairly soon as well, which will take into account things like new construction, foreign trade, etc etc.

Sound like it might make managing massive empires more intensive, any plans for a reset with all these new changes?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1147: October 27, 2011, 01:50:42 AM »
Update for Tom I just built a 1250 destroyer fleet to head towards the planet we are assaulting, still only have a 15.7% chance of taking the planet. 95 destroyers have a 5.4% chance. 600 Cruisers, which cost less then the 1250 Destroyers actually have a 14.5% chance, so it looks like we need to start saving for large fleets of more powerful ships.

I had a couple battleships in my earlier fleets, those alone apparently don't make a difference. But I'll try with an armada of battle and super-battleships on his main planet with the PD, as soon as I have the required resources, so say... a month?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148: October 27, 2011, 01:57:32 AM »
I had a couple battleships in my earlier fleets, those alone apparently don't make a difference. But I'll try with an armada of battle and super-battleships on his main planet with the PD, as soon as I have the required resources, so say... a month?

Even then, the best I have managed is about 16% for a takeover. Either the % is capped at the old 20% or I need some other formula for getting past this barrier. I've yet to be successful with taking a PD defended homeworld with the new code, my fleets arrive and bomb the planets for several turns, but ultimately are destroyed before they can conquer it.

Some more numbers for you the target is a society level 49 planet

100 Cruisers 7.4%
200 Cruisers 10.2%
300 Cruisers 11.8%
400 Cruisers 12.9%
500 Cruisers 13.8%

50 Battleships 6.0%
100 Battleships 8.8%
150 Battleships 10.4%

as an aside 25 cruisers targeting a society 26 planet have an 11.8 chance of success.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:15:25 AM by De-Legro »

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149: October 27, 2011, 05:57:31 AM »
Depends on just how much bombing you need to do really. Also something I've noticed, though other contest this. Multiple fleets will all attempt to take the planet, which can really speed up the process if you can't make large fleets.

is that before or after that change?
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150: October 27, 2011, 06:52:37 AM »
is that before or after that change?

After, I checked my turn report and I attacked a single planet 10 times. Problem is the 10 times are scattered all over the turn report, but what can you do.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151: October 27, 2011, 08:44:16 AM »
After, I checked my turn report and I attacked a single planet 10 times. Problem is the 10 times are scattered all over the turn report, but what can you do.

what.. so the 100 fleets of scout thing still work? - obviously not literally 100...
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152: October 27, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »
what.. so the 100 fleets of scout thing still work? - obviously not literally 100...

Whats wrong with 100 scouts, they work quite well on planets around 20 society level? I've got a fleet of 400 somewhere running around.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153: October 27, 2011, 12:18:03 PM »
nothing wrong with it.
the thing is 100 x 1 scout vs 1x100 scout - was it you who thinks 100 fleets work better (obviously not that number.. but the general gist is it)
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154: October 27, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »
nothing wrong with it.
the thing is 100 x 1 scout vs 1x100 scout - was it you who thinks 100 fleets work better (obviously not that number.. but the general gist is it)

I haven't touched probability theory since high school, given my test numbers is 13.8% chance better then 5 * 7.4% for example?