Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529249 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1170: October 29, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »
Is there any way to boost the society level of a planet? The number of initial arcs doesn't make a difference, not sure about supplementary arcs.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1171: October 30, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »
Is there any way to boost the society level of a planet? The number of initial arcs doesn't make a difference, not sure about supplementary arcs.

From all I've seen so far, time is the only thing that affects society.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1172: October 30, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »
More data on new conquest:

Sending a 279 cruisers fleet to a nearby home planet - 9.7% capture chance.

I've tried with multiple fleet combinations this time, building a fleet and setting it to attack and then checking the info page for the chances. I always built fleets that used up all the available resources, so they can be somewhat compared. Super- and battleships seem to actually give less of a conquest chance than pure cruiser fleets, plus they'd be a lot slower. From the various combinations I tried, a pure cruisers fleet seems to be the most efficient way to spend your resources on conquest fleets.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173: October 30, 2011, 02:03:31 PM »
a pure cruisers fleet seems to be the most efficient way to spend your resources on conquest fleets.

Seems Cruisers are a bit of a cure-all then. Cheap, decent stats, perfect for attacking/defending/pirating. I don't think I've seen many aggressive fleets running around that have any other ship types in them. Points towards a need for rebalancing, I think.

In other news. I'm starting to save for when I go on holiday. I'll be going in a months time, so I need to make quite a few defensive fleets so I don't come back to a missing empire. By the time I go, I should be able to build around 1000 Cruisers, hopefully that'll be enough to have patrolling around my planets and keep out anyone trying to grab a planet or two from an inactive person :P

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174: October 30, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
this is funny.

i colonised a planet and it's linked to one of dave's planets.. (was the link there before i colonised it? don't know)

and i apparently can steal his resources - haven't tried.. but you know in ship building page, you can see local and linked resources if there's a link? XD
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175: October 30, 2011, 10:12:31 PM »
this is funny.

i colonised a planet and it's linked to one of dave's planets.. (was the link there before i colonised it? don't know)

and i apparently can steal his resources - haven't tried.. but you know in ship building page, you can see local and linked resources if there's a link? XD

Yeah I've done this to my enemies a few times. Only real problem is you can't steal population.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176: October 30, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
but i thought you are not supposed to be able to link to foreign planets?
firefox

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177: October 31, 2011, 06:31:13 AM »
There should be a visual indication of fleet size. A single scout looks the same as 100 battlecruiser. I would use dot size but bleh, it needs something.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178: October 31, 2011, 06:34:12 AM »
There should be a visual indication of fleet size. A single scout looks the same as 100 battlecruiser. I would use dot size but bleh, it needs something.

What I dislike is that for an enemy fleet hovering the mouse over it shows what the fleet contains, but the same doesn't appear to be true for my own fleets.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179: October 31, 2011, 06:42:19 AM »
odd.. i can see what my fleets are. then again, they are just small fleets of arcs/merchies and cruisers
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180: October 31, 2011, 06:53:57 AM »
odd.. i can see what my fleets are. then again, they are just small fleets of arcs/merchies and cruisers

Interesting, it works for my smaller fleets as well.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181: October 31, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »
The mouseover works for all of my fleets, regardless of size.

also it would be really nice if the turn ran on time and didn't take 10 years to run.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:32:11 PM by Kai »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1182: October 31, 2011, 05:44:27 PM »
also it would be really nice if the turn ran on time and didn't take 10 years to run.

On time would be cool. As for the length, I find that quite acceptable. In a fully turn-based game, it doesn't really matter all that much. And I know from BM how quickly turn calculations can take forever.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183: October 31, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »
The mouseover works for all of my fleets, regardless of size.

Well, maybe if you left the game there would be less server load and things would run more smoothly :)

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184: October 31, 2011, 09:48:59 PM »
Currently there is no way to increase society levels, other than it going up once per turn (as long as you've played in the last 36 hours).  I do plan to have other ways of increasing society level though -- mostly through things like foreign trade.

The cruiser is not the most cost effective unit in the game, according to my carefully thought out testing system, that would (arguably) be the Battleship.  They also have a higher tendency towards catastrophic failure (meaning the outcome of cruiser battles swings widely in comparison to other types), due to their lower relative defensive strength.  If you look at Planetary assault alone, they might be the best.  They are a lot like cruisers in WWI -- fast, sleek, sexy, but unpredictable.

Still working on the trade system, which is also were the slowness comes in running the turn -- I'm removing a whole bunch of redundant queries, it should be quite a bit faster now.  Should get it up in a night or two. 
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy