Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529164 times)

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1185: November 01, 2011, 04:53:17 AM »
A wiki just got created on Dave's Galaxy.

http://davesgalaxy.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Not much right now. Mostly everything is taken from the in game manual.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186: November 01, 2011, 05:07:40 AM »
In order for me to powergame properly I need a way to inject massive society level into a planet, ideally by spamming arcs into it.

egamma

« Reply #1187: November 01, 2011, 05:34:58 AM »
In order for me to powergame properly I need a way to inject massive society level into a planet, ideally by spamming arcs into it.

Just take inactive home planets.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188: November 01, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »
Currently there is no way to increase society levels, other than it going up once per turn (as long as you've played in the last 36 hours).  I do plan to have other ways of increasing society level though -- mostly through things like foreign trade.

How about something that lowers population, but increases society level? "Rapid Society Development: Pump resources into rapidly developing technology for this society's planet, however many people refuse to move with the changes and will abandon the planet for a simpler life." That way if you're willing to endure a bit of hardship now, you can get to the society level you want sooner. The only problem might be integrating this with the current system of upgrades to stop abuse.

The cruiser is not the most cost effective unit in the game, according to my carefully thought out testing system, that would (arguably) be the Battleship.  They also have a higher tendency towards catastrophic failure (meaning the outcome of cruiser battles swings widely in comparison to other types), due to their lower relative defensive strength.  If you look at Planetary assault alone, they might be the best.  They are a lot like cruisers in WWI -- fast, sleek, sexy, but unpredictable.

Did you test this with large amounts of units with balanced resource use? For example, I can get 100 Cruisers for the same Steel cost as 21 Battleships - other resources are in such abundance that it doesn't matter. I'm not sure on the exact calculations for large fleets vs small fleets, but I've been working with 1.5x smaller fleet is used. So that would be 31 Cruisers used, which makes it 434|124 (Cruisers) vs 420|189 (Battleships). Ok, Battleships have more defence, but the Cruisers can still easily destroy a large amount of those Battleships in a turn whilst having loads of Cruisers left for backup.

100 Cruisers isn't hard to save for, even for newer players. ~2 week's worth of resources from 1 max population planet. For many of us, we can get a couple of thousand Cruisers in 2 weeks, which would only be a few hundred Battleships. The battles would take a long time, but if I'm moving my ships around, reinforcing them with smaller fleets and decimating planets, I can do a lot more damage with my fleets of Cruisers than my opponent can with Battleships.

Still working on the trade system, which is also were the slowness comes in running the turn -- I'm removing a whole bunch of redundant queries, it should be quite a bit faster now.  Should get it up in a night or two. 

Sounds good!

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189: November 01, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »
How about something that lowers population, but increases society level? "Rapid Society Development: Pump resources into rapidly developing technology for this society's planet, however many people refuse to move with the changes and will abandon the planet for a simpler life." That way if you're willing to endure a bit of hardship now, you can get to the society level you want sooner. The only problem might be integrating this with the current system of upgrades to stop abuse.

i'd rather have something that kills soc level....
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190: November 01, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »
i'd rather have something that kills soc level....

That would be nice too. The only way at the moment is to be attacked.

Time for a bit of learning: This turn my "above average food production" planet with farming subsidies reached max population. It was producing 38,401,832 before I scrapped the FS, then 174,734 after scrapping it. The planet was society level 75. Interestingly, scrapping the FS made me lose population. Went from 16,777,500 to 15,938,625.

EDIT:

A wiki just got created on Dave's Galaxy.

http://davesgalaxy.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Not much right now. Mostly everything is taken from the in game manual.

I've not got any experience with editing a wiki. Is it difficult/tedious/other bad words? I'd gladly contribute to some pages should spare time ever appear. I feel as a group we can probably offload almost everything you need to know about DG.

On the trail of knowing things about DG: has anyone been able to build Carriers and Fighters yet?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:58:59 PM by Nathan »

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191: November 01, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
I would really really love if 1 arc gave 1 society level.

egamma

« Reply #1192: November 01, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »
I've not got any experience with editing a wiki. Is it difficult/tedious/other bad words? I'd gladly contribute to some pages should spare time ever appear. I feel as a group we can probably offload almost everything you need to know about DG.

On the trail of knowing things about DG: has anyone been able to build Carriers and Fighters yet?

Wiki editing is very easy--unless you want to do something hard. But simple words to paper is dead simple, and there's usually a toolbar that shows you the format for headings and the like.

Society level 90, no carriers/fighters.

Here's a fun battle at a planet I'm defending. I decided to build 100 destroyers to see what would happen:
Fleet: Fleet #52587, 100 destroyer (52587) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
             destroyers -- 2
Fleet: Fleet #15838, 8 super battleships (15838) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
       superbattleships -- 2
Fleet: Fleet #52587, 98 destroyer (52587) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
             destroyers -- 1
Fleet: Fleet #52587, 97 destroyer (52587) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
             destroyers -- 2
Fleet: Fleet #41337, 15 cruisers (41337) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 5

Looks like my teeny tiny ships are doing a great job of swarming those battleships!

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193: November 02, 2011, 05:54:24 AM »
That feels a bit buggish because 8 sbc should be able to kill about 20 destroyer a turn.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194: November 02, 2011, 06:17:10 AM »
That feels a bit buggish because 8 sbc should be able to kill about 20 destroyer a turn.

Guess that depends on the exact combat algorithms, we can see attack and defence values but the details on just how they correlate to anything is a bit unknown. I know that 1 scout appears to kill cruisers every now and then, more often when the cruiser fleet is small, but even against a 100 cruiser fleet sitting at one of my planets, a 1 scout defence sometimes does some damage.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195: November 02, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »
Are you sure? A single scout shouldn't kill a cruiser ever.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196: November 02, 2011, 10:00:58 PM »
Are you sure? A single scout shouldn't kill a cruiser ever.

Very sure, it has happened numerous times while I waited for resources to build up to the point I could make decent destroyer fleets at frontier planets. Sometimes I even manage to kill 5 cruiser fleets before I amass the resources I want. Its not terribly common mind you, but it certainly does happen.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197: November 03, 2011, 05:57:41 PM »
Is it just me, or has the game been a bit slower recently? I seem to be taking a long time to load the map and information. Information is only a little slow, but loading the map takes a really long time, sometimes I just give up after about 10mins :S

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1198: November 03, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »
Yeah, I have the same impression, though it's nowhere near 10 minutes. One at most.

Hierulf

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199: November 03, 2011, 06:56:04 PM »
Yes, it is very slow. I have the same problem.

Though, it becomes slower and slower in the same session (from 10 second a response to 1 minute, and to a 404 not found after a longer time).

After some pause in the session (go get a coffee, or a chocolate)... it works well a bit of time.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:01:10 PM by Hierulf »