Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529627 times)

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1215: November 06, 2011, 04:57:51 PM »
So I just hit 500 planets. With the exception of a few core planets I simply can't keep track of all of them, which has resulted in a good deal of them being rather screwed over. My favorite mistake was planets that have hit 75 society level, but have rubbish population. Must have used those ones for arc-jumps early on.

I think I need to work on some scripts to help monitor and organised my planets, and I certainly have some new ideas how to start out if there is another reset.

There was a player a while back who wrote some scripts in Ruby that scraped his planet info, and did some routine maintenance stuff for him.  I should make an API, I know there are several people who'd just love the ability to automate stuff.  I think it would also be cool to allow other people to write games that could use the Galaxy as a backdrop (huge pipe dream that...)
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216: November 06, 2011, 04:59:38 PM »
Hi! Did anyone find out what above average climate planets do?

Faster population growth.
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1217: November 06, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
There was a player a while back who wrote some scripts in Ruby that scraped his planet info, and did some routine maintenance stuff for him.  I should make an API, I know there are several people who'd just love the ability to automate stuff.  I think it would also be cool to allow other people to write games that could use the Galaxy as a backdrop (huge pipe dream that...)

You're already doing lots of AJAX to fetch all the data. The major change you'd need is that the AJAX reply is not ready HTML, but raw data, i.e. IDs, names, etc. in JSON format (which you also already use) and a small piece of javascript creates the HTML table out of that. Then you could expose that JSON interface as an API easily.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218: November 06, 2011, 07:21:25 PM »
My home planet has 0% taxes and still runs a surplus in quatloos.

Three cheers for regional government!

heh... i was stuck at 99% for regional gov, after scrapping it when it was killing the other planets. going to see what this turn brings...
---
it's built and brings in 3mil a turn. going to see if other planets get screwed again because of it
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:23:31 PM by fodder »
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219: November 06, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »
My favorite mistake was planets that have hit 75 society level, but have rubbish population. Must have used those ones for arc-jumps early on.

Yup.

That's why I use my MC suffixes. I can always see which planets still have rising soc, which don't. When they hit 65ish, I'll start building MC.

Pop still grows after MC, so I should have every planet I own functioning at about optimal productivity eventually. I will then construct fleets of several hundred (or maybe thousand?) cruisers, and deploy them against Oldry. I might lose. But I will have loads of fun with it.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220: November 06, 2011, 10:35:42 PM »
You're already doing lots of AJAX to fetch all the data. The major change you'd need is that the AJAX reply is not ready HTML, but raw data, i.e. IDs, names, etc. in JSON format (which you also already use) and a small piece of javascript creates the HTML table out of that. Then you could expose that JSON interface as an API easily.

Exactly.

Plus, I need to revamp some of that Ajax-y stuff so it's more sane -- a lot of it is just pushing html out to the client -- so I'm looking at a REST API framework for Django (probably Tastypie from what I've seen), and I can quickly wire up an API with that.  Then when I revamp the neighbors/fleets/planets lists, they can pull from the API.  And anybody who wants to can use the API, win win win.  :)

Sneaky bastard, looking at what the game does in the background.  hehe
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221: November 06, 2011, 10:52:56 PM »
.... tom's galaxy XD
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1222: November 06, 2011, 11:20:46 PM »
Sneaky bastard, looking at what the game does in the background.  hehe

Only after you posted that you wanted an API. :-)

But yeah, since I do similar stuff in BM:WI, it was obvious to check if you're doing it the same way. And yes, I'm also pumping out HTML instead of JSON and interpreting it in JS. It's easier to do it this way. :-)

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223: November 07, 2011, 12:17:43 AM »
Only after you posted that you wanted an API. :-)

But yeah, since I do similar stuff in BM:WI, it was obvious to check if you're doing it the same way. And yes, I'm also pumping out HTML instead of JSON and interpreting it in JS. It's easier to do it this way. :-)

I'd like to use JsonML for all the markup, and then render that browser side -- then I could build the whole website as one giant data structure in something like node.js.  I'd be so happy to never write another line of html in my life.

And sorry for eating up all this bandwidth on your forum -- for some reason, all these people don't want to migrate over to my mailing list.  ;)
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224: November 07, 2011, 12:23:13 AM »

I'm working on some greasemonkey scripts, so I can pull what I need straight out of the browser. Just simple stuff like checking that all planets above society level X have mind control, checking mind control is actually active etc. I could expand it to build stuff automatically at certain levels as well I guess, more of a time factor right now.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1225: November 07, 2011, 02:07:48 AM »
I'd like to use JsonML for all the markup, and then render that browser side -- then I could build the whole website as one giant data structure in something like node.js.  I'd be so happy to never write another line of html in my life.

And sorry for eating up all this bandwidth on your forum -- for some reason, all these people don't want to migrate over to my mailing list.  ;)

I've become a bit of a JSON fan - it's a horrible abomination of an abandoned orphan of a disturbed markup language, but it is extremely easy to generate in PHP thanks to json_encode() and json_decode().

And don't worry about the bandwidth. :-)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226: November 07, 2011, 05:02:17 PM »
... jotted down some numbers.. will check again tomorrow... if it all goes tits up, i think i'll have to scrap a lot of things.. including in the home planet.
firefox

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227: November 07, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »
Wow, just took a peek over at Tom's territory. Suddenly: ARCS! EVERYWHERE!

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228: November 07, 2011, 10:33:23 PM »
Question:

What's the biggest single fleet anyone here has personally witnessed?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229: November 07, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »
Wow, just took a peek over at Tom's territory. Suddenly: ARCS! EVERYWHERE!

I think it is because Tom has the misfortune to be located next to some aggressive expanders. Hierulf is expanding in our area in a big way, one of the few directions I can expand is into Toms local space (and I'm a jerk so I am) and now kenwillard is expanding this way as well, maybe because I took most the space close to him.

I'm not sure I like this aspect of the game since one of the few things to do is expand, and there is very little reason not to everything seems to revolve around that. Most my wars are either because I am trying to slow down other peoples expansion, or because they have planets inside my regional government areas, which I just can't stand. Hopefully some of the trading changes will make maintaining your planets more of a focus.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.