Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 537712 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1290: November 11, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
20% on all
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291: November 11, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »
The higher your tax rate, the higher your upkeep costs on upgrades.

For some planets, you can find a "saddle point" somewhere along the tax slider where you get optimal returns. For many it is indeed 20%; but not for all.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292: November 11, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »
i know that... but the point is not the planets not having enough money to pay for those upgrades. they all do. it's just a % thing.

they are losing extra money to regional gov. and for some reason that eats up the entire budget surplus.

using numbers i gave before, for regional gov that covers 13 other planets (not including planet with the upgrade), it rakes in 3 mil. for example.

ie, each planet loses on average 230k. given each planet at max pop @20% has an income of roughly 500k... before any expenses... do you see what's wrong there?

-----
sod it.. scrapped reg. gov again for home planet and made it into an oil planet...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:04:49 PM by fodder »
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1293: November 11, 2011, 07:57:46 PM »
Interesting, I am letting my home planet go without Mind Control as an experiment, it has reached 125 society level and still has a 181067 surplus, even after I pay 223504 for the farm subsides. I had to ditch the RG several turns ago or I would have ended up with an entire sector of planets growing out of control. What tax rate are you running?

Same here, I don't have MC on any of my planets and don't intend to. So far, things are going just fine and I have several planets > 100 society now. One reason it works is because I am also not using 20% tax rate everywhere. In fact, most of my tax rates are below 10%. Money just isn't the scarce resource anywhere so far.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294: November 12, 2011, 01:52:31 AM »
Same here, I don't have MC on any of my planets and don't intend to. So far, things are going just fine and I have several planets > 100 society now. One reason it works is because I am also not using 20% tax rate everywhere. In fact, most of my tax rates are below 10%. Money just isn't the scarce resource anywhere so far.

I run the default 7% tax without much issues. I just tested my main planet and even without regional government and with almost every upgrade built (no MC Drilling or trading subsidies) and 5% tax I manage to make 70k profit.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295: November 12, 2011, 07:24:25 AM »
if you use food/oil sub, you lose something like 2/3 of steel production. which is not an issue if you don't plan on the planet to produce big fleets regularly.

my home planet is 162 and it takes in money just fine, the problem is it blew all budget surplus (after upgrades which was about half the budget? roughly 200k? leaving around 200k or so surplus) towards food/oil purchases (planet has 0 stock of oil regularly, food import has stabilised)... would be good if the amount of money blown on oil/food purchase (non ship) is shown in budget.. then again, budget is about the next turn not the turn before... maybe the cost is variable according to tax rate too?
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1296: November 13, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
Darn, I start hating the % capitulation chance. I've been bombing 3 planets each with a 10-20% capitalation chance for at least two weeks now. And still I draw the short stick every turn. :-(

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297: November 13, 2011, 07:02:27 PM »
Darn, I start hating the % capitulation chance. I've been bombing 3 planets each with a 10-20% capitalation chance for at least two weeks now. And still I draw the short stick every turn. :-(

Isn't it better to send several smaller fleets with a lower chance of success? From the single planet I've taken it seemed every fleet got a chance for capitulation each turn so my mass of 5% chances took the planet in 3 days or so.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298: November 13, 2011, 11:09:49 PM »
Isn't it better to send several smaller fleets with a lower chance of success? From the single planet I've taken it seemed every fleet got a chance for capitulation each turn so my mass of 5% chances took the planet in 3 days or so.

That has been my tactic as well, you can get a much better aggregate chance by spending your resources on smaller fleets then on bigger ones. Of course if you are fighting an active player, which few of us seem to do then the small fleet tactic has its draw backs.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299: November 14, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »
That has been my tactic as well, you can get a much better aggregate chance by spending your resources on smaller fleets then on bigger ones. Of course if you are fighting an active player, which few of us seem to do then the small fleet tactic has its draw backs.

Such as?

And I want help against MtnDew!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300: November 14, 2011, 12:25:45 AM »
Such as?

And I want help against MtnDew!

lots of small fleets can be quite easily destroyed by a single larger fleet for instance.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301: November 14, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »
Has anyone worked out a legit solution for resource transfer between planets?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302: November 14, 2011, 04:12:05 PM »
lots of small fleets can be quite easily destroyed by a single larger fleet for instance.

But I can't afford a large fleet! Send a large fleet for me! He's too close to my colonization route for comfort!

Has anyone worked out a legit solution for resource transfer between planets?

Lots of traders? Or did I not properly understand their function?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #1303: November 14, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
My easy answer for that: only establish bases on planets with links. Then you get perfect resource transfer.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304: November 14, 2011, 10:07:19 PM »
My easy answer for that: only establish bases on planets with links. Then you get perfect resource transfer.

I dare you to find a linked planet near me :P We're all up where planets start to become rather dense, which means no links :(