Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 538121 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1305: November 14, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
Then that sucks for you. And I will gloat my superior starting position. Muahahahahaha!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306: November 15, 2011, 03:01:01 AM »
But I can't afford a large fleet! Send a large fleet for me! He's too close to my colonization route for comfort!

Lots of traders? Or did I not properly understand their function?

I will see if I can find this guy, I'm sure I could spare a few hundred battleships from my current wars. They are getting bogged down anyway, Flyingmana FINALLY worked out the scout defense.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307: November 15, 2011, 08:06:42 AM »
I dare you to find a linked planet near me :P We're all up where planets start to become rather dense, which means no links :(

Dense planets = no links? That's kinda dumb...

I will see if I can find this guy, I'm sure I could spare a few hundred battleships from my current wars. They are getting bogged down anyway, Flyingmana FINALLY worked out the scout defense.

Seems like what I'm facing is a colony of a larger empire than myself... Here I thought it was a player that joined soon after me.

The local heart of his colonies is this:

Name:Omega Indieus
        Owner:MtnDew       
          Distance to Capital:
          Open Ship Yard:
          No
          Trades Rare Commodities:
          No
        Population:16779900
        Treasury:3960407 Quatloos

However, seeing his other planets in the east of me (a little far off, though), I wonder if it'd be such a wise move... I'd need good support from Amaury I'd think (who is my neighbor).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308: November 15, 2011, 11:54:14 AM »
Dense planets = no links? That's kinda dumb...

Nah, not really. Dense planets = more resources in a small area. So I have more resources than you, it's just harder for me to move them around as easily. Which should balance out in a war.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309: November 15, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »
Dense planets are also easier to defend with PD.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310: November 15, 2011, 04:14:26 PM »
There's a bunch of very dense planet which I  sent arcs to in order to colonize a dense sector. My planets are so far apart that PD and RG barely cover any planets...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311: November 15, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »
Then that sucks for you. And I will gloat my superior starting position. Muahahahahaha!

Hehe, there are advantages to having all your planets close together (shorter trade links, pd covers more planets, better sensor coverage...)

build more trade fleets.
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312: November 15, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »
Been playing a few days, seems interesting enough.  I'm Bardic Nerd in game, located at 1565.9, 1746.0.  Egamma is closest to me, looks like, east-southeast of me.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1313: November 16, 2011, 12:02:57 AM »
I've been trodding along silently, but I'm now entering most if not all of the top 30. I think money is the one I'm still missing out on. It's probably time to pool up some resources and build a couple impressive fleets, just to make sure nobody gets any fancy ideas.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314: November 16, 2011, 02:23:12 AM »
I've been trodding along silently, but I'm now entering most if not all of the top 30. I think money is the one I'm still missing out on. It's probably time to pool up some resources and build a couple impressive fleets, just to make sure nobody gets any fancy ideas.

You could always help me against Flyingmana. Right now its a contest of whomever misses a day of play first, I'm assaulting about 40 of his planets, and he is quickly catching up, about 11 planets under attack now and I see more fleets on the way. The surprising thing is he never seems to build new PD to stop my attacks, even though he planets can easily field them. He would rather send slightly more powerful fleets out and see 75% of that fleet destroyed, while I'm killing 10's of battleships for the loss of a few scouts. Maybe eventually I will drain his resources, but then he can always just build scouts until they build up again.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315: November 16, 2011, 05:55:12 AM »
Hehe, there are advantages to having all your planets close together (shorter trade links, pd covers more planets, better sensor coverage...)

build more trade fleets.

Trade fleets are so expensive that its easier to just build and send fleets long distance.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316: November 16, 2011, 06:20:19 AM »
Trade fleets are so expensive that its easier to just build and send fleets long distance.

I'm experimenting with having my traders set on some circular routes. The hope is they move stuff around to even out the planets. To be fair though the main thing I want moved is food.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317: November 16, 2011, 06:30:13 AM »
I'm experimenting with having my traders set on some circular routes. The hope is they move stuff around to even out the planets. To be fair though the main thing I want moved is food.

I have all of my planets linked in a complex network of interlocking trade routes. It does not seem to be evening resources out; it seems to be pooling them in a fairly patterned way (presumably determined by the pattern of subsidies, stockpiles, exact trade fleet sizes, and trade incentives on each route).

It makes sense if you think about it. On large planets, a few BFs buying food isn't going to radically change the price of food. The next BFs will buy it, and move on to the same next planet as well. Over time this might balance out, or it might result (as it seems to be for me) in all the steel being on one or two planets, all the food on one or two others, and all the quatloos on some others.

Which has actually been very convenient for me, as the planets where food gets dumped are generally the ones that need it. Steel intensive planets build arcs, quatloo intensive planets build subspacers. I send out lots of fleets to my one or two concentration points... and I have over 1,000,000 steel saved up on one planet with almost that amount again scattered around my empire.

Of course... no sum of steel will overcome the scout defense.

Dave--- are you ever going to fix the scout defense?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318: November 16, 2011, 07:13:15 AM »
I have all of my planets linked in a complex network of interlocking trade routes. It does not seem to be evening resources out; it seems to be pooling them in a fairly patterned way (presumably determined by the pattern of subsidies, stockpiles, exact trade fleet sizes, and trade incentives on each route).

It makes sense if you think about it. On large planets, a few BFs buying food isn't going to radically change the price of food. The next BFs will buy it, and move on to the same next planet as well. Over time this might balance out, or it might result (as it seems to be for me) in all the steel being on one or two planets, all the food on one or two others, and all the quatloos on some others.

Which has actually been very convenient for me, as the planets where food gets dumped are generally the ones that need it. Steel intensive planets build arcs, quatloo intensive planets build subspacers. I send out lots of fleets to my one or two concentration points... and I have over 1,000,000 steel saved up on one planet with almost that amount again scattered around my empire.

Of course... no sum of steel will overcome the scout defense.

Dave--- are you ever going to fix the scout defense?

It is easy enough to work out, just look at the prices for each good on each planet :) When resources are low the prices tend to go up and hey presto food from my one farm subsidy planet tends to arrive.

My experiments are more to do with what is the most efficient way to set up the trade routes. For example if I have a circular route with 3 planets, A B and C and only 1 fleet of trade ships. Assume planet A is a food producer and planets B and C are food purchasers. Lastly the route goes A-B-C-A. Will for example the fleet know to skip over selling food at B if the prices are better at planet C? Things of that nature.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:51:49 AM by De-Legro »

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319: November 16, 2011, 08:15:35 AM »
trade ships do not always buy low sell high, nor do they always trade what you want them to trade...

eg.. they sometimes buy unobtainium at high prices (at a planet that doesn't make them) and sell them low (to a planet that makes them by the bucketload)
firefox