Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529088 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1440: November 30, 2011, 04:43:11 AM »
PD set up a ring around your planets, if you look at Vellos or Toms area you will see them, they are the large dotted rings. Any enemy fleet that moves within that ring and is spot able from sensors (fleet or planet based) will be targeted and shot at every turn. Use to be a 20% chance for the destruction of each ship, but Dave changed things recently so they are stronger closer to the planet they originate on. Just to give you an idea, I had on fleet of 300 cruisers show up in my space, within the targeting space of 3 PD. I killed 150 of them in one turn. Best thing is the damage to their fleet occurs with no possible retaliation.

High taxes lower your production rate of goods. Most people don't find this significant and run 20% tax, I don't particularly care and run the default 7% so I don't need to waste time changing it. The other factor is that upkeep of facilities is based on GDP, so increasing that tax rate increases the upkeep you owe, but you usually end up with a positive balance from any increase.

"Goods", as in, "everything other than cash"? By how much?

Also, there are two tax rates.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441: November 30, 2011, 04:51:04 AM »
Income tax is the one that generate you gold every turn. The Tariff is what you charge merchants ships that travel to your planet.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442: November 30, 2011, 05:04:12 AM »
Income tax is the one that generate you gold every turn. The Tariff is what you charge merchants ships that travel to your planet.

What are the incentives to have low or high tariff rates? How do trade incentives affect trade, and where is it a good thing to have?

Also, unrelated question: how many accounts are active?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443: November 30, 2011, 06:01:56 AM »
What are the incentives to have low or high tariff rates? How do trade incentives affect trade, and where is it a good thing to have?

Also, unrelated question: how many accounts are active?

No idea, trade is mostly a mystery to me. I have plans to set up a script and extract data from my trade fleets so I can graph and analyse it, but I also have a son that is almost 2 years old, so finding the time isn't easy.

At a guess the Trade fleets should calculate tariffs into the profit/loss decisions, so high tariffs might discourage fleets from visiting your worlds. It would depend on what rates and prices surrounding planets have I guess.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444: November 30, 2011, 06:03:43 AM »
No idea, trade is mostly a mystery to me. I have plans to set up a script and extract data from my trade fleets so I can graph and analyse it, but I also have a son that is almost 2 years old, so finding the time isn't easy.

At a guess the Trade fleets should calculate tariffs into the profit/loss decisions, so high tariffs might discourage fleets from visiting your worlds. It would depend on what rates and prices surrounding planets have I guess.

Is trade with foreign planets a good thing or a bad thing? Does it tend to leak cash or goods?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1445: November 30, 2011, 08:06:34 AM »
Is trade with foreign planets a good thing or a bad thing? Does it tend to leak cash or goods?

I went with the real world as a guideline, believe that trade with anyone is a good thing, and set every planet to allow foreign traders. I also have well over a hundred trading fleets in the air at any given moment.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446: November 30, 2011, 08:30:32 AM »
By the way Tom, Oldry has snuck more fleets into my space, he is targeting my newer colonies. You might want to keep an eye on your own.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1447: November 30, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
By the way Tom, Oldry has snuck more fleets into my space, he is targeting my newer colonies. You might want to keep an eye on your own.

I do. I have scout shields around my empire, and bringing in several strong cruiser fleets to patrol my borders now that expansion starts hitting upon other people all around.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448: November 30, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
I do. I have scout shields around my empire, and bringing in several strong cruiser fleets to patrol my borders now that expansion starts hitting upon other people all around.

Now that my war with Flyingmana is over, I'm moving my battleships fleets this way, but they are SLOW. He is going to try and attack the colonies I am setting up all around his planet from the looks of it, but with 3 arcs going to each colony they should hold till help arrives. As soon as a fix for the scout defense is in I might attempt rushing his planets.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449: November 30, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »
I went with the real world as a guideline, believe that trade with anyone is a good thing, and set every planet to allow foreign traders. I also have well over a hundred trading fleets in the air at any given moment.

I assumed the same, and did the same.

But then it hit me that cash is actually pretty useless. If the net result is the selling of my resources to other powers to increase my quaterloos, that's no good.

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450: November 30, 2011, 11:11:01 PM »
I assumed the same, and did the same.

But then it hit me that cash is actually pretty useless. If the net result is the selling of my resources to other powers to increase my quaterloos, that's no good.

Well, they should be bringing in commodities you don't have, which is reasonably fair.
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451: December 01, 2011, 12:42:54 AM »
Well, they should be bringing in commodities you don't have, which is reasonably fair.

Mine seem to mostly care about consumer goods. What good are those?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1452: December 01, 2011, 01:57:48 AM »
Mine seem to mostly care about consumer goods. What good are those?

You mean your iPad, mobile phone, toaster, TV set, computer, digital camera, MP3 player and 90% of the other stuff around you? ;-)

Or maybe I'm trying too much to actually run an empire instead of just crunching some numbers.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453: December 01, 2011, 02:01:57 AM »
You mean your iPad, mobile phone, toaster, TV set, computer, digital camera, MP3 player and 90% of the other stuff around you? ;-)

Or maybe I'm trying too much to actually run an empire instead of just crunching some numbers.

If the Soviet Union didn't care for such luxuries, why should my nation? ;)

I want steel! More steel! How can I claim the far corners of the universe for my empire if I don't get more steel? Petty consumer goods won't help the glory of the nation!

I mean, seriously, with mind control and all, why would our people even care for consumer goods?

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454: December 01, 2011, 03:21:24 AM »
Yea, but no resource links.

The best defense is simply not having any neighbors.

Alternatively, Dyson Sphere around every solar system.

Anyways, I've decided to give this game a try. Name's Kagurati, located at 1863.3, 2155.2.

Also, that's how the mind control works. It's all in the consumer goods!
Like my programming? Become my patron!