Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 529017 times)

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1995: May 12, 2012, 03:07:58 AM »
If I have understood it correctly, after some point this game becomes too much of a chore...

If there were a natural limit (something like diminishing returns) based on the number of planets you had...

Can god make a boulder that is so large that even he can't lift it? The game only becomes a chore if you've built a larger empire than you care to manage. I think there's a few players who maybe have some sort of OCD complex. Anyway, the moment you arrive at this point of feeling like its a chore, you should stop expanding, because you've reached the "big enough" state.

The other part of this is that there are several techniques for optimizing how you run your empire. Not every colony needs to be checked every turn once you've reached a certain size/colony age. Some players use Mind Control to avoid having colonies that run out of food/hydrocarbons. A mind controlled colony needs very little maintenance.

People that want to try to manage larger empires should be allowed to. The problem is the players that don't seem to be able to stop themselves from continually expanding even after they've reached the "big enough" point. (looking at you Amazoneon)

By the way, from the looks of it, "hydrocarbons" are the only resource that in due time vanish completely. Does that mean that after awhile, the heavily colonized areas become essentially uninhabitable and worthless, forcing migration to yet undiscovered places?

A colony with the Drilling Planetary upgrade enabled never runs out of hydrocarbons.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #1996: May 12, 2012, 03:54:41 AM »
If I have understood it correctly, after some point this game becomes too much of a chore simply because there is too much to handle, with or without scripts.

Corrected it for ya.  What you mean is at some point if you don't know how to program epic level scripts to automate everything for you, the game becomes too difficult. 8)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997: May 12, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
Well, I tried to stop expanding, but that was no fun... The war I had going ended before any major fighting was done, and I don't enjoy just managing what I have and having no action otherwise.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998: May 12, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
Can god make a boulder that is so large that even he can't lift it? The game only becomes a chore if you've built a larger empire than you care to manage. I think there's a few players who maybe have some sort of OCD complex. Anyway, the moment you arrive at this point of feeling like its a chore, you should stop expanding, because you've reached the "big enough" state.

The other part of this is that there are several techniques for optimizing how you run your empire. Not every colony needs to be checked every turn once you've reached a certain size/colony age. Some players use Mind Control to avoid having colonies that run out of food/hydrocarbons. A mind controlled colony needs very little maintenance.

People that want to try to manage larger empires should be allowed to. The problem is the players that don't seem to be able to stop themselves from continually expanding even after they've reached the "big enough" point. (looking at you Amazoneon)

A colony with the Drilling Planetary upgrade enabled never runs out of hydrocarbons.

Haha yeah you can afk your planets but only if you don't want to actually do anything useful with them. Steel only builds up to about 400k so you hae to check about once every 2 months to build. Also wtf with the big enough stuff, that doesn't even make any sense. Military power is more or less proportional to number of mature planets. Tedium shouldn't be a constraint on size of empire. No rome references pls.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #1999: May 12, 2012, 02:44:49 PM »
Haha yeah you can afk your planets but only if you don't want to actually do anything useful with them. Steel only builds up to about 400k so you hae to check about once every 2 months to build. Also wtf with the big enough stuff, that doesn't even make any sense. Military power is more or less proportional to number of mature planets. Tedium shouldn't be a constraint on size of empire. No rome references pls.

Thus why I like links. I regularly have well over 3.5 million steel available for use at my capital. Also, it's called build your fleet, then scrap it at the planet you wish to build ships from. Or if you have linked planets, build then scrap until you have all your resources able to be used by one planet in the link chain. ^_^ It's how I build huge fleets even though my empire is relatively small. (compare me to Amazoneon)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:46:30 PM by Gustav Kuriga »

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000: May 13, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
Build/scrap is even more tedious and the reason I'm fat and huge is because that's what I did. I have zero planets with links. You know one cure for this would be to automatically build links over time, so that individual planets become 'chunks'.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001: May 20, 2012, 06:29:02 PM »
well the games getting a reset. if they have a reset they might as well put in a way to win. would be more fun.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2002: May 20, 2012, 07:35:46 PM »
Putting in a way to win would be boring and only encourage scripting...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2003: May 21, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
I've long lost interest in DG, I must admit. The problem is that there really isn't much to do, and that scale effects are way too strong. That means that going up against someone much smaller than you is boring, while going up against someone much larger is suicide. And the one time I found someone roughly my size to fight, he soon after stopped playing and taking over his inactive planets wasn't interesting.

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004: May 21, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »
Me too, for the same reasons. Interesting game design and all, but what it taught me is what I learned in MOO 3: running a gigantic space empire is boring. Running a small space empire with gigantic space empire neighbors is also boring, in a reverse grind fest kind of way. Instead of slowly grinding up, you slowly grind down. It's like a little bit of soul death each day. And who needs a game for that when one could just work retail?
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005: May 22, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Putting in a way to win would be boring and only encourage scripting...

lol complete non sequitir. What you have to face is that a game like DG doesn't have enough static texture to be long term playable without an objective.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006: May 27, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »
My arcs are finally about to colonize the edge of the universe.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007: June 10, 2012, 11:28:44 PM »
Anyone still playing?

Anyone not currently playing thinking about rejoining once everything is reset?

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2008: June 10, 2012, 11:38:07 PM »
I'm still playing.

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009: June 11, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
I'm still playing.

...the only person you're playing with is YOURSELF.  :P

I'm looking forward to the addition of nebulae clouds, and changes to the combat system. I do not like outgunning my target by 1000 to 1 only to lose ships because only the weakest part of my fleet is contributing to the fight.