Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 534468 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #2070: September 01, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
Question:

I have a colony, 52 society level, MS1, which supposedly produces 83 antimatter. But its antimatter is actually at zero, long after the Matter Synth completed production. Anybody know why this is?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071: September 01, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »
Please do. <3 I've been playing days and I'm already getting to the point where its becoming a hassle to micromanage every colony and the literally 50 or so fleets I have in the air right now. Add that to the defensive armada I want on every single colony, the dozen scouts I have in the air right now, the few blackwhatevers I have floating about, and more, and it becomes utterly hectic to keep track of.

There are some other non-technical ways of simplifying management.

1. Don't use creative names. Use systematic names. My planets are named with a letter (to indicate which sector they are in, explained below), a two-digit number (the order they were colonized in that sector), if need be another letter (to indicate major sub-sectors), then a colon, then a series of letters and symbols to indicate major developmental stages that I've found useful. This allows me to know where a planet is located, what upgrades it has, and various other identifying info straight from the planet list. It also allows me to know a lot of info just from mouseover on the map.

2. Use circular routes to identify coherent regions of space. I generally try to identify clusters of 50-80 stars as a major region, which I usually then subdivide into several more. This allows me to say, "Okay, today, I will do all the upgrades for Subsectors 1, 2, and 3 of Sector B," and have a clear sense of how much I've done and how much needs doing. It also makes it easier to keep track of. And, personally, I think it makes wars more interesting when I visualize it as people invading certain sectors and such. Plus, later on, those circular routes come in handy; you can set fleets on them to patrol your borders, and eventually the fleets will accelerate to maximum speed, so you can have rapid response fleets at the ready.

Thought: A circular route in a nebula... anybody have any idea how fast you could get?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2072: September 01, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
Ah, but creative names are my system of organization.

I based my naming system on the UC Gundam universe, so all my names came from that.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073: September 12, 2012, 12:20:29 AM »
I did a mix, with Xerolco 01 through Xerolco 19, with Xolotl Prime as my capital. These are the 19 colonies that fit around my homeworld's regional government.

As management is dull, I don't plan on expanding past this for the moment. I'll build my planets, then when I'm ready I'll send a ton of arcs to colonize the edge of the galaxy, just for the sake of it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Galle

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074: October 01, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »
Is anyone else close to Nupril? He has gotten fat on inactives and now he is hitting everyone in his neighborhood except for the [M] boys.

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075: October 04, 2012, 11:08:21 AM »
Hi all!

...some rather basic questions:

1) Is there a way to /lower/ society levels? By now I try to have mindcontrol by level 75-77 to avoid having to import food.
2) Is there any downside to having high taxes?
3) How do I interpret the attack and defense numbers of different ship classes. For example, a super battleship has att 27, def 14, costs 8000 steel and 75000 q. A battleship has att 20, def 9, costs 4000 steel and 25000 q. If I compare these numbers directly I get more att by building 2 BS instead of one SBS....so I assume the numbers are not compared directly. I assume that damage is (att-def) making the fight between 2 BS and 1 SBS more...uhm...logical.
4) Based on answers to 3, is it better to build as many SBS as possible, building smaller classes only where larger classes are not availiable? Or any other suggestions?
5) Is it possible to combine fleets? Or add ships to existing fleets?
6) (edit) I assume that trading actually generates additional money (= it does /not/ simply move q's that are generated by taxes between planets).. Is that correct?
7) (edit) does sending more than 1 arc (in the initial fleet) to a new planet result in faster development of that planet?
8) (edit) does sending an arc to one of your own (already settled) planets raise the population (and steel stockpile) there?
9) (edit) Is there any way to send ressources (and to chose which res to send) to other planets (other than via trading)?

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:56:35 PM by Tan_Serrai »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076: October 04, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
Hi all!

1) Is there a way to /lower/ society levels? By now I try to have mindcontrol by level 75-77 to avoid having to import food.
3) How do I interpret the attack and defense numbers of different ship classes. For example, a super battleship has att 27, def 14, costs 8000 steel and 75000 q. A battleship has att 20, def 9, costs 4000 steel and 25000 q. If I compare these numbers directly I get more att by building 2 BS instead of one SBS....so I assume the numbers are not compared directly. I assume that damage is (att-def) making the fight between 2 BS and 1 SBS more...uhm...logical.
4) Based on answers to 3, is it better to build as many SBS as possible, building smaller classes only where larger classes are not availiable? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

1) None that I know of.
2) I have no idea.
3) I have no idea.
4) I have no idea.
5) No, from what I was told.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077: October 04, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Hi all!

6) (edit) I assume that trading actually generates additional money (= it does /not/ simply move q's that are generated by taxes between planets).. Is that correct?
7) (edit) does sending more than 1 arc (in the initial fleet) to a new planet result in faster development of that planet?
8) (edit) does sending an arc to one of your own (already settled) planets raise the population (and steel stockpile) there?
9) (edit) Is there any way to send ressources (and to chose which res to send) to other planets (other than via trading)?

Thanks for your help!

Since I haven't played since the reboot, these answers may be off, but:

1) Yes, someone attacking you will lower the level.
2) Yes, you get less resources when you have higher taxes.
3) This is not a question :P But in answer to your musings, ships don't all fight at once. So if I have 100 BS and go against 5 SBS, only a handful of my ships will fight (I don't think we worked out how many, my guess is 1.5*[enemy ship number]). Also, you use your "worst" ships first, so 100 Cruisers and 100 BS in the same fleet, you'll use up your Cruisers first.
4) This all depends on the situation. I think for attacking planets, you want large fleets to break in then smaller fleets to do the damage.
5) I think this is on the "to do" list.
6) I think this changed in the newer version, but in the previous version, if you were trading inside your empire it just moved stuff around and gained you some extra Q because trade ships cost negative upkeep (so they give you money for having them).
7) Kinda, you get more starting people so you can get more resources there, quicker.
8 ) Yes.
9) If you have planetary links (the lines between two planets) then kinda, since you'll use up resources on both planets. If you don't, then I think there's something on the "to do" list about this too.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078: October 04, 2012, 09:49:45 PM »

Build a fleet.

Move it to the destination.

Disband the fleet.

Resources transferred.

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079: October 07, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »
Is anyone else close to Nupril? He has gotten fat on inactives and now he is hitting everyone in his neighborhood except for the [M] boys.

Nupril and Ohmyfish are in cahoots, they are running pirates all over the area, so make sure your arcs are defended. They may be unofficially already in [M] or maybe they're just on good relations (until [M] decides to swallow them up too.)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080: October 07, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »
What is [M]?

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081: October 08, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »
What is [M]?

A cartel, a criminal conspiracy, a gang of thugs and rapists? We've heard reports and rumors that they were a hyper-aggressive coalition of bandits and thieves. But we have no neighbors who are officially in [M] just one of their supposed lackeys (Ohmyfish). One of our neighbors Heirulf has reported that he get's along with his [M] neighbor. Granted that member of [M] was busy gobbling up another one of his innocent neighbors, so Heirulf may only end up being next.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082: October 10, 2012, 12:40:08 AM »
Which of the two tax rates affect resource production, and what does the other one do?

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083: October 11, 2012, 02:20:34 AM »
Which of the two tax rates affect resource production, and what does the other one do?

Inctaxrate (Income Tax Rate) affects resource production. This is easy to verify by changing the tax rate, and then noting what will be produced next turn on the info panel.

The other tax rate is for tariffs. Any non-allied merchant has to pay a sales tax in addition to the cost of the items they are purchasing.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084: October 16, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »
Looks like I'll be the first one to the core of the galaxy. A few turns and my arcs will arrive :)

Sent that fleet the very first turn I was in the game.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.