Author Topic: Class IR- applicable to advies?  (Read 3813 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Class IR- applicable to advies?
« Topic Start: August 22, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
An advy on Dwilight is facing a manhunt, and my character, who has recommended this particular advy, wants to offer protection from the manhunt, should the advy prove it's nobility.

Before I propose that to the character, I want to check whether this goes against the choosing your class IR? Given the RP behind the advy class, and this being SMA/Dwilight, I imagined that it was fine. Vita suggested that it should probably be discussed here.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Class IR- applicable to advies?
« Reply #1: August 22, 2019, 02:09:52 PM »
In general, I would say that yes, the class IR apply to adventurers. You cannot order, suggest, or coerce an adventurer into changing to Noble, whether they have the recommendations for it or not.

However, this seems like it might be a somewhat special case. If I understand correctly, the adventurer in question wants protection from a manhunt, and you're willing to give it on the condition that they change class.

This seems related to (though not clearly analogous to) offering compensation for those who will change unit types. It also sounds like part of the protection in this case would be the class change itself, as once they were no longer an adventurer, they could not be arrested and executed out of hand.

Can you please expand some about the situation? Is there any other particular reason you/your character wants the adventurer to become a noble?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Class IR- applicable to advies?
« Reply #2: August 22, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »
If I understand correctly, the adventurer in question wants protection from a manhunt, and you're willing to give it on the condition that they change class.

This seems related to (though not clearly analogous to) offering compensation for those who will change unit types. It also sounds like part of the protection in this case would be the class change itself, as once they were no longer an adventurer, they could not be arrested and executed out of hand.

Can you please expand some about the situation? Is there any other particular reason you/your character wants the adventurer to become a noble?

I have not said anything to the advy in question yet, to steer clear of the IR as it stands. Waiting to hear feedback here before engaging with him. If made the offer, he might just decide to leave anyway and take his chances in the wild.

From what I understand of the situation, the (rather pretigious) advy is wanted in one realm (Arnor) and possibly another (Astrum) for taking (thousands) of gold he'd deposited in Sanguis Astroism temples and offering to use it against their enemies after getting demoted in rank, and Arnor's ruler has messaged rulers asking for him to be punished. My character was asked his advice by his ruler, since he'd had dealings with this advy in the past. My character asked for leniency in the matter, arguing that it was possible he was of noble blood, but running around as a ranger for inexplicable reasons. The ruler responded, saying that he if he was of noble blood, he should prove it.

The punishment will likely go through unless my character can convince the ruler not to do so. My character has had prior engagement with this advy - my understanding of the recommendation system is that if your character gives a recommendation, you believe the advy has noble blood? So my character has two main reasons- protecting an advy he'd recommended to be recognised as nobility and to support someone who is being hunted by a realm that is attacking him and his allies, and who might be able to provide material support.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell