Author Topic: From The Rulers Channel on Discord - Small realms  (Read 20146 times)

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
PAGE 3

PlaraveenLast Thursday at 9:51 PM
@Lancaster If I read your comments correctly, you seem "against" having smaller realms, but I see that you are currently in Fallengard (smallest realm on EC) and Swordfell (tied with 2 others for smallest).
LancasterLast Thursday at 10:07 PM
Dwilight is probably the healthiest continent overall in terms of noble counts, the dang thing is just so big
I am against smaller realms, and am doing what I can to fix it. Unfortunately in Fallangard, I've got folks that are staunchly anti-merger and in Swordfell we had a bit of a purge recently. We had 20+ nobles like a month ago
Abstract | Foote FamilyLast Thursday at 10:08 PM
OS wouldn't have been in the Caelint-Gotland war. We would have simply been fighting Thalmarkin for our own reasons. Probably even before the Caelint-Gotland war even started.
LancasterLast Thursday at 10:09 PM
BT has other issues besides realm sizes. The continent is so damn big Nova was created basically so OS nobles would have people to interact with
Abstract | Foote FamilyLast Thursday at 10:09 PM
I think small realms are but a symptom of the problem. The real problem is there aren't enough players for the number of regions. This leads to pockets of isolation which leads to smaller realms not having a force driving their death or resurgence.
BT would be in great shape if the south moved north or vice versa. The problem is getting people to do it.

LancasterLast Thursday at 10:33 PM
yeah, I don't think people will do that though
Abstract | Foote FamilyLast Thursday at 10:46 PM
Well there are some problems with moving.

A) They have spent a lot of time in the area. The area becomes part of their identity. (this mostly applies to SV & OS but Nova feels this too.)

B) The places to move to will be a decrease in gold and difficulty with food.

C) Moving away from allies and towards a large enemy means death could come swiftly. Notably because it will take time to stabilize in the new area. Even with stabilization, without your allies moving too your chances are not good.
Personally, I don't care about those three issues. Others do however so that prevents them from agreeing to the move. Regardless, an attempt should still be made.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
Vita`Last Thursday at 11:07 PM
Does nomad need faster-stabilization effects?
Abstract | Foote FamilyLast Thursday at 11:28 PM
I don't know. Never used nomad so I can't make a real judgement on it.
jitney | BlueLast Thursday at 11:28 PM
What if you removed some swaths of rogue land and loosened the distance from realm limits for armies. With a continent surrounded by sea zones it'd be fun to fight those battles further away.

As for the map.. if we can gather the volunteers to do it on our own?

Just a thought
Abstract | Foote FamilyLast Thursday at 11:29 PM
jitney | BlueLast Thursday at 11:30 PM
Or just loosen the limits? Admittedly this is just a small thing that lets a few larger realms make war, and doesn't really address (not head on, at least) retention or smaller/dead realms.
Interesting. Fixing the map how? Just curious.
Abstract | Foote FamilyLast Thursday at 11:31 PM
Don't know.
This isn't from my conversation with Delvin. I was having a conversation with a player who then went to Delvin which resulted in the above screenshot. I want to say the question he asked Delvin was based on loosening the distance penalties.
(The reason I shared it was based on the map change comment you made.)
jitney | BlueLast Thursday at 11:36 PM
Oh, cool. That's very relevant. Thanks! The easiest fix, requiring little in the way of map editing (but possibly a bitch in coding) might be to black out those regions, RP some magic insanity, barriers going up, that instantly transport you across them to the other side of the swath. Maybe a sea zone, that doesn't look like a sea zone.

Going off the deep end here. But in the spirit of ideas, there it is.
I don't know. Shrinking the map without removing realms is the basic concept though. Maybe there's a different way to get that done

Vita`Last Thursday at 11:55 PM
Loosening distance....no
Marching far distances for a battle and turning around isn't fun.
There will be changes when hinterlands comes on, as part of the core realm benefits, which will improve travel speed.
Which is a key reason I'm willing to try hinterlands.
We could reuse blight but do you really think that would make a difference and not get just as many complaints as having rogue regions?
I thought it better to leave regions rogue so realms can have choice of where to exist
Versus choose to remove regions from play and player choice and flexibility...
jitney | BlueLast Thursday at 11:59 PM
But with distance caps we can't fight the wars we want to. Infils come up, stab around, we declare war, yet can't comfortably, or viably fight the war
Idk. It's a small thing. Hinterlands could fix some of that maybe
Vita`Last Friday at 12:00 AM
Why can't you move closer to your enemies?
jitney | BlueLast Friday at 12:01 AM
Move the realm?
We spend tons of time on RCs, development. You carve out a good space
To build up a force capable of fighting those wars
Vita`Last Friday at 12:04 AM
sigh
jitney | BlueLast Friday at 12:04 AM
There's history in it. And on BT with the invasion we carve out bastion of defense
Bananas to up and move with that looming, no?
Vita`Last Friday at 12:04 AM
Which was done after how many statements about the need to move realms closer?
jitney | BlueLast Friday at 12:05 AM
I don't understand
What do you mean?
Vita`Last Friday at 12:05 AM
There's no invasion coming anytime soon
PlaraveenLast Friday at 12:05 AM
Jit is Thal I think, not Obeah
jitney | BlueLast Friday at 12:05 AM
I'm for moving them closer. Or removing the distance limit. Or anything that increases fun
Tossing out ideas
Yeah I'm in Thal
Abstract | Foote FamilyLast Friday at 12:06 AM
I'm all for OS & Nova moving up north too but I can't make all the players move.
Vita`Last Friday at 12:07 AM
We've been saying this is an issue and trying to patiently work with rulers to move realms, merge realms, abandonn realms anything for almost four years.....in that time the choice is made to build infrastructure rather than migrate. Then when war is distant one can't move because of the cost to abandon the built-up infrastructure...
So it's a bit...."well that's the choice you made"
I can't fix choices you make when there  were options available.
O can only give tools and point to them
But if folks don't use them ...or offer suggestions on how to improve them....
jitney | BlueLast Friday at 12:08 AM
Fair enough. I don't see why we couldn't conquer and migrate down into Grehkia and wudenkin area. That'd make us more central.

Though I missed that talk about merge and move
Vita`Last Friday at 12:09 AM
Then yes, you find yourselves far away from wars with infrastructure that is too costly to abandon....
jitney | BlueLast Friday at 12:09 AM
Well I'm trying to offer some now! I'm newer than most here in this particular channel. Missed the memo
Vita`Last Friday at 12:09 AM
And yes I understand you weren't personally there
But that is the thalmarkin you represent.
jitney | BlueLast Friday at 12:10 AM
This is very difficult to do. Why does this feel like an argument, when I thought it was more of a think tank. Now I'm defending myself..
Vita`Last Friday at 12:11 AM
So do you think we need changes to nomad to allow some transition of infrastructure?

PlaraveenLast Friday at 12:11 AM
I am not sure how Nomad works, but might it be possible to allow Obeah to "swap out" a bunch of regions say maybe in the Wudenkin area?  Maybe allow some "transfer of some of their infrastructure to speed the process of settling in? ie.  RC's and other buildings in their capital moved to Wudenkin?
Vita`Last Friday at 12:12 AM
There an announcement from sometime in last year that lists nomad benefits
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:28:16 AM by PolarRaven »