Author Topic: Judge Communication with Prisoners  (Read 4471 times)

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Judge Communication with Prisoners
« Topic Start: July 22, 2011, 02:48:27 AM »
Having just been in prison, I thought the judge was ignoring me after his initial conversation.  Turns out now that I've been released, he tried continuing the conversation but I didn't receive any of them until after being released.  I haven't been judge in at least 4 years so I can't remember how the interface works.

Is it a bug that I never received any messages from him or did he have to reply differently (specifically to a prisoner) and just failed to do so?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Judge Communication with Prisoners
« Reply #1: July 22, 2011, 05:15:14 AM »
Having just been in prison, I thought the judge was ignoring me after his initial conversation.  Turns out now that I've been released, he tried continuing the conversation but I didn't receive any of them until after being released.  I haven't been judge in at least 4 years so I can't remember how the interface works.

Is it a bug that I never received any messages from him or did he have to reply differently (specifically to a prisoner) and just failed to do so?

If it's a bug, it's the longest-lasting one I can think of.

Imo, this should be fixed. Should have been fixed at the same time as when the reason for one's capture wasn't even showing because of this.

Or am I thinking about wounding?

Regardless...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

cjnodell

« Reply #2: July 22, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »
Hmmm... I recall having some random noble show up in Barca's prisons while I was the judge. I tried to talk with him a few times with no response. I assumed he simply did not want to reply but I guess it is possible that he never received any of my messages... Who really knows though?

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #3: July 23, 2011, 04:28:58 AM »
Had the same thing happen a while back and forgot to report it - responses from the judge are being treated like regular messages, and can't be seen until you are released or bribe the guards

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 27, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »
I don't think it's a bug, just a missing feature.

From the judge's perspective, the way he communicates with a prisoner is not through the Message screen (delivering a written letter), but by "going to the dungeons" (IIRC) and "visiting" the prisoner and actually speaking to him.

Prisoners don't receive messages (taken to mean letters) at all from anybody, unless they've successfully bribed a guard or two. Also ordinarily, prisoners can't send messages at all to anybody but can have a letter sent to the imprisoning realm's ruler or judge.

This is a problem because if a judge receives a message from a prisoner, and replies by clicking "reply" which takes him to the standard message screen (which sends a standard letter), the judge-to-prisoner message is only delivered after the prisoner successfully bribes the guards or is released/escaped. The judge should not require that his prisoner bribe his own guards for them to deliver a message to him.

It'd be nice if judge-prisoner communication was handled by the judge having a message group including all the prisoners currently in the dungeons and all prisoners being able to receive any message from that judge (but not each other!). That would avoid the necessity of having to personally visit the dungeons just to communicate with a prisoner (sometimes there are a LOT of prisoners, and hey not every prisoner warrants a personal visitation from the realm judge).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:23:31 PM by Daycryn »
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #5: July 28, 2011, 12:46:45 AM »
I don't think it's a bug, just a missing feature.

From the judge's perspective, the way he communicates with a prisoner is not through the Message screen (delivering a written letter), but by "going to the dungeons" (IIRC) and "visiting" the prisoner and actually speaking to him.

Correct, but we cannot hear him "speaking" to us until we get the messages at the end of our prison term.

It is a bug - it is going in with the other messages when it should not be.

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 28, 2011, 01:06:35 AM »
Ah, okay. I stand corrected.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

egamma

« Reply #7: July 28, 2011, 01:36:29 AM »
The problem may be the judge hitting reply from the main messages window, instead of going to the dungeons to talk. let me test with my prisoners...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 28, 2011, 03:42:02 AM »
The problem may be the judge hitting reply from the main messages window, instead of going to the dungeons to talk. let me test with my prisoners...

I'm pretty sure it does no difference.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Aldwoni

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 28, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »
As far as I still remember this "Visit" was visible as prisoner but the Letter not

Letter from Ham Hormondson   (3 days, 18 hours ago)
"text"
Ham Hormondson
High Magistrate of Coria, Viscount of Menedor
  [reply to sender] | [ignore] | [userdetails] | [vulgarity]

Visit   (3 days, 19 hours ago)
While you rot in your cell, Ham Hormondson, High Magistrate of Coria, Viscount of Menedor, visits you and says:

"text"

You can reply by writing a letter.
  [reply to sender] | [ignore] | [userdetails] | [vulgarity]

kenwood

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 28, 2011, 02:56:02 PM »
I am imprisoned right now in the colonies. I've gotten 2 messages from officers of the realm that I'm in. In each occurence I've "sent a letter", but have been told that I am sending the message to my liege instead of the senders of the messages. When I try to reply, the screen shows the options to bribe a guard, find a friend, etc. My opinion is that it is indeed a bug. To those who've sent messages to Josh Kenwood in the Colonies, I say that I am a newbie and that I mean no harm; just hunting monsters and undead in your realm. :-\

egamma

« Reply #11: July 28, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
I am imprisoned right now in the colonies. I've gotten 2 messages from officers of the realm that I'm in. In each occurence I've "sent a letter", but have been told that I am sending the message to my liege instead of the senders of the messages. When I try to reply, the screen shows the options to bribe a guard, find a friend, etc. My opinion is that it is indeed a bug. To those who've sent messages to Josh Kenwood in the Colonies, I say that I am a newbie and that I mean no harm; just hunting monsters and undead in your realm. :-\

Hey, that's me! There's definitely a bug that's preventing you from writing me a letter, assuming you're not choosing the wrong option on the drop-down.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #12: July 30, 2011, 01:00:21 AM »
Back in prison :-)

If the Judge of Aurvandil is in this forum, please PM me and we can try some tests to help with the debugging