Author Topic: The Big New Maps Cooperation  (Read 13030 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
The Big New Maps Cooperation
« Topic Start: July 23, 2011, 01:09:24 PM »
This is a call for a cooperative effort, open for everyone who wants to contribute. It will benefit both BM and BM:WI and more.

The goal of this project is to create new maps for the games. Maps that are not limited to a single perspective or zoom level.
Here is a render of what the end result could look like. This is the result of an old attempt at this:

This one has many limitations still. Together we can be even better.

I've thrown up a wiki page with a draft workflow. This is how it could work. This thread is for discussing the best way to actually do it.

What we need especially:
  • people who figure out the best way to generate heightmaps and splatmaps
  • people to write shaders for Terragen 2 for good-looking land-types (grassland, desert, plains, mountains, etc. etc.) - I will gladly provide the shaders I made for the image above as starting points
  • people who can make models of cities and towns. Low-poly, to-scale. Nothing like this seems to exist on the market. This page contains some inspirations, from the boardgame Mighty Empires.
  • people who tie everything together, figure out the best ways to import/export from the various tools in the workflow, etc.