Author Topic: Priest Game Upgrades  (Read 2461 times)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
Priest Game Upgrades
« Topic Start: February 14, 2020, 03:06:08 AM »
Title: Priest Game Upgrades

Summary: Some minor improvements to further integrate priests and religions into the realms: Offer morale "blessings" to units to raise morale, allow priests to gain honour/prestige.

Details: I did a search for this first, and it seems both were talked about years ago (circa 2011) but nothing really came of it as far as approved or rejected. If there was a more recent discussion, I couldn't find it and I apologize.

First, the blessings: Allow a priest to bless the unit of any noble who is a follower of their religion. This would simply give the unit a small morale boost based on the priest's Oratory skill.

Second, in much the same way as Courtiers, when priests do their Religion actions, give them hon/pres every once in a while.

Benefits: Blessings: This would further integrate religion and priests into the realm. Armies would actively want priests around, especially on long-range missions where morale begins to become a problem. People would be able to see a result from their chosen deity, rather than just fancy words. This is a huge problem IMO with the current priest game, as there is very little buy-in from game mechanics.

Hon/pres gain: Generally speaking, the higher hon/pres a character has, they are afforded more respect in a realm. Given that high religious positions in history have always been prestigious, it makes sense that priests in game would gain it as well.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: The blessing mechanic would have to be scaled so that it doesn't become OP. While a priest with 100% Oratory should be able to make significant improvements to an armies morale, a single priest should never ben able to completely restore an army's morale.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.