Author Topic: Just a little screenshot of a feature in development...  (Read 17541 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
The Army Banners feature-in-development isn't particularly secret, so I thought I'd share a screenshot of how I, at least, intend it to be used:

Enjoy!

Timothy Collett
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

Nice! will the attack recipients have the banner showing as well (close combat and archer fire)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
The ones without the icons are enemy units, thus you would not know exactly which units are assigned to which army.  I assume that is why there are no icons for them.

Peter
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
No, every unit that is part of an army that has a banner will show one.  These are, after all, actually banners—you can see them flying above each unit.

The units you see without banners either are not in an army, or are in an army that hasn't yet set a banner.

Timothy Collett
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

Here's a thought--what if it only showed for units that purchased the "banner" paraphernalia and are in an army?

Madmonk77

• Knight
  • tiki tiki on the rocks!
    • View Profile
    • Rock-Soft
Now what egamma said I feel is more accurate.
Nico.-

"What else can happen when an unstoppable force collides with an immovable object?" -- Used to be the player of Vats family. Now I'm the player of Vlad family.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Though many units purchase multiple banners...

I think for the sake of sanity and simplicity, every unit should simply show a banner. :)

Peter
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Saw it from your IRC post (ps, you shouldn't just leave things like a cheater report on Stu lying around ;-) ), reminds me of how I made some of the first banners in MS paint.  Go go gadget blocks of doom!

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Is there anything preventing the use of the banners in the battlefield?  That's where I always assumed they would be.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Is there anything preventing the use of the banners in the battlefield?  That's where I always assumed they would be.

I strongly support that. If we put them there, that's a lot of additional value.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
For alignment purposes, maybe a "blank" banner for the armies who haven't picked one and another for unassigned units could be set?

And I don't think it should follow if you buy banners at all, it would translate as a graphic representation of something we don't really care about. Better just have everyone's banner displayed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
For alignment purposes, maybe a "blank" banner for the armies who haven't picked one and another for unassigned units could be set?

A "blank" transparent banner should be trivial at this point.  However, I've also been toying with the idea of a "realm banner" for militia and nobles who aren't in armies, settable by the Ruler, obviously.  I'm not sure about it, though.

And I don't think it should follow if you buy banners at all, it would translate as a graphic representation of something we don't really care about. Better just have everyone's banner displayed.

Absolutely.  This is not a representation of any particular paraphernalia: it is an indication of what army you are in.  The design of the banner is fully IC; its display anywhere particular is, at best, only quasi-IC.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:48:11 PM by Anaris »
Timothy Collett

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
if you are doing banner for non-army/militia, then you might as well just stick 2 banners up for everyone.... realm flag for everyone.. and army flag for army members.

mainly for multi-realm battles.... though that does make things somewhat more realm-centric
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
No, that doesn't follow at all.

The point would be to have a banner for militia, who otherwise could not have any.
Timothy Collett

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
So wh would you want the enemy to know what troops are in what army? I like the idea, but I'd still prefer keeping that information away from the enemy's hands ...