Author Topic: Relics for Temples  (Read 3963 times)

Matthew Runyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Relics for Temples
« Topic Start: April 11, 2020, 05:30:33 AM »
How cool would it be if we could put unique items into temples as relics?

And the higher the prestige, the higher the religious draw?

Then people would have a strong incentive to loot temples, too.  To get ahold of those sweet, sweet relics, and put them in your own temple.  This might also get to the point where temples (at least in smaller regions) might be gold-positive (or at least neutral), because the extra pull of a high-prestige item might attract enough followers to make up the difference.

Or, if that is not a desired result, maybe instead of drawing more followers, it enhances the fervour of the followers, so they provide stronger buffs when lords of their religion are present, and stronger debuffs if not.  That would also provoke more conflict, as a heathen lord might be incentivized to take the relic to stop the faithful of the region from continually agitating against them...At the cost of a religious incident.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Relics for Temples
« Reply #1: April 11, 2020, 03:12:46 PM »
I'm broadly in favour of this.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 11, 2020, 05:48:41 PM »
What requirements would there be for something to be a relic? Would it be just any item?

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 11, 2020, 06:00:04 PM »
As someone working the religion game right now, I think that would be awesome. Personally, I don't think it would need to be complicated, and Unique Item would be good IMO. When the unique item gets donated, you could add a portion to that items wiki page about your religion.

I think this would be a very cool addition to the religion game.

Question: Would the item still degrade? I personally hope no. Afterall, it is sitting in a display, not getting used. Plus, I hate the time crunch of trying to find an Advie, them finding someone to repair it. Huge pain in the butt lol.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Matthew Runyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 24, 2020, 07:31:23 AM »
I was thinking any Unique Item, yes, although possibly it should be any item with at least X prestige.  And I was definitely thinking either not degrading, or degrading much, much more slowly.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 25, 2020, 07:12:38 AM »
Maybe unique items designated as relics stop caring about durability but must be stored in a temple? Maybe nobles who don't believe in the religion can loot the temple and steal it or something.

Matthew Runyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 25, 2020, 08:17:42 AM »
Yep, that's the idea, encourage people to loot temples!  Cause religious incidents!  Fight over awesome holy relics and take them to your own temples!

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 25, 2020, 02:59:56 PM »
This idea is absolutely brilliant. I love it!
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Greybrook

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 04, 2020, 05:27:15 PM »
Bump - I like this as well, more to make religion more interesting! Would love this in the faiths I engage in.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 05, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks of AoE when reading this?  ;D

Priests bringing them relics to their temple so that they can produce gold (was that it?).

Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 05, 2020, 08:06:08 PM »
Wonderful idea that encourages religious interaction, conflict, RP, and makes adventurers valuable and thus more desirable to play and have around :)
Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 16, 2020, 05:55:03 PM »
I support this idea.