Author Topic: funniest moments in battlemaster  (Read 62549 times)

Keithson

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: funniest moments in battlemaster
« Reply #45: August 04, 2011, 05:33:17 AM »
"You seem to grossly overestimate the power a ruler has over anyone."

Positions = More buttons.

More buttons, however, don't equal more power. The Prophet of Sangis Astrom, (however you spell it) has more power then most Rulers. Does the Prophet have more buttons? I never said "Rulers, do whatever you like because you can do it all yourself!" (I actually used the word 'Ruler' in a very general manner)

No, I said "Do what you want and no one, (context: speaking of the other, non-positioned nobles) will stop you." If your a Duke and want to get rid of a Ruler, there's ways to do that. None of them really involve button pushing. Rulers can get rid of Dukes. Again, not really from a "button mindset", but it can be done.

Hyperbole is (partly) what I intended in my earlier post. All good hyperbole has a basis in truth though.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: August 04, 2011, 05:42:00 AM »
"You seem to grossly overestimate the power a ruler has over anyone."

Positions = More buttons.

More buttons, however, don't equal more power. The Prophet of Sangis Astrom, (however you spell it) has more power then most Rulers. Does the Prophet have more buttons? I never said "Rulers, do whatever you like because you can do it all yourself!" (I actually used the word 'Ruler' in a very general manner)

No, I said "Do what you want and no one, (context: speaking of the other, non-positioned nobles) will stop you." If your a Duke and want to get rid of a Ruler, there's ways to do that. None of them really involve button pushing. Rulers can get rid of Dukes. Again, not really from a "button mindset", but it can be done.

Hyperbole is (partly) what I intended in my earlier post. All good hyperbole has a basis in truth though.

Buttons don't give all power, but they do give power. You'd be surprised how much damage a few well-placed nobles could do to SA (or any other organization), if they were willing to accept the backlash, thanks to buttons.

You spoke as if rulers could just, alone, dictate whatever they will, and replace people at will. Most rulers come to power with the dukes already picked and not about to step down. And when dukeships free themselves, many of these are up to elections of some kind or another and not direct arbitrary appointment.

Ruler+council = powerful. But Ruler-council = impotent.

The ruler's main asset is that the position is a passive ally magnet.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: August 04, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »

Or a passive chick magnet?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: August 04, 2011, 11:34:13 PM »
Or a passive chick magnet?

Considering the demographics of the BM nobles, I'd say no.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: August 05, 2011, 02:58:55 AM »
Serko won the rulership of Ethiala with his votes only, was protested out of office, purchased the Dukeship title by corrupting the government of the capital, was fined into oblivion by the Judge for refusing to step down, could not be removed from the realm because he was a Royal, and ended up being forced out after he assassinated the Judge, and attempted to assassinate the new king.

He's the reason there is a limit on fines.  ;-)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: August 05, 2011, 04:31:40 AM »
Vellos, I honestly thought that I would log back in and find that Paul had gotten bolted for that. If I remember correctly, I didn't log in for about... 24 hours because I didn't want to know how it turned out.

...as a study on how people react to displays of power, I only had to give out... one fine? Maybe two? We're not talking about a small Avamarian population here, nearly 80% of that realm joined Oligarch - and they TALKED constantly! And yet, one threat from the "law" and they all followed. Displays of power, no matter how they are disguised, will be followed by 90% of the population - just because.

The primary form of "dissent" they used was by over-following the law, if I remember correctly. Paris especially would delete the word "Avamar" even from scout report headers or from strategy related discussions, and would replace it with work-arounds like "The City of Democracy" or some such pompous nonsense.

Then again, at that time, we were also promising them a new homeland in Oroya if Rubber Ducky succeeded... so they had incentives to cooperate.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: August 05, 2011, 07:53:57 AM »
Buttons don't give all power, but they do give power. You'd be surprised how much damage a few well-placed nobles could do to SA (or any other organization), if they were willing to accept the backlash, thanks to buttons.

You spoke as if rulers could just, alone, dictate whatever they will, and replace people at will. Most rulers come to power with the dukes already picked and not about to step down. And when dukeships free themselves, many of these are up to elections of some kind or another and not direct arbitrary appointment.

Ruler+council = powerful. But Ruler-council = impotent.

Why rule from the foreground as ruler when you can rule from the background as a lower non-council position anyway? The Ruler's buttons don't even mean much anyway. Much better to just have the ruler be a puppet of yours and control the entire council by putting friends in office in return for favors (or just for power itself). hehe...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: August 06, 2011, 04:20:51 AM »
Why rule from the foreground as ruler when you can rule from the background as a lower non-council position anyway? The Ruler's buttons don't even mean much anyway. Much better to just have the ruler be a puppet of yours and control the entire council by putting friends in office in return for favors (or just for power itself). hehe...

Because sometimes, the fame is what you are after. And others, no puppet can fulfill your wishes as well as you could.

If you aim power in a mediocre kingdom, then sure, staying behind the scenes works fine. If you want your realm to totally kick the ass of all the other realms, that's usually not enough.

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: August 06, 2011, 11:15:20 AM »
Because sometimes, the fame is what you are after. And others, no puppet can fulfill your wishes as well as you could.

If you aim power in a mediocre kingdom, then sure, staying behind the scenes works fine. If you want your realm to totally kick the ass of all the other realms, that's usually not enough.

Probably true for the most part, but I've had some decent success with this in larger realms to. You just have to do it differently for puppets that are easy to control and those that think they are doing what they want. (hardest part is just not having access to ruler's channel, but if they send you all the ruler messages it works fine.)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: August 06, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
Probably true for the most part, but I've had some decent success with this in larger realms to. You just have to do it differently for puppets that are easy to control and those that think they are doing what they want. (hardest part is just not having access to ruler's channel, but if they send you all the ruler messages it works fine.)

I've often see them being very loyal, but *too lazy* to send it all. Depends on the people involved, the context, and your aspirations.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: August 07, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »
...Paris...

Ugh. There's one the game is better without.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: August 07, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
Ugh. There's one the game is better without.

Haha,

say what you will of Paris, but he sure created a lot of intrigue and general happenings.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: August 07, 2011, 10:48:19 PM »
Oh sure.

And as soon as people intrigued against him, in Dwilight, he quit the game.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Jim

« Reply #58: August 08, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
The funniest thing I have seen so far is a new character join a realm and immediately hop the border to loot allies multiple times. As well as throwing crazy but poetic insults at the leaders of the realm and fooling the approaching army by giving them the last minute slip, just to loot in the next region.  But after all that, I still find how he gave out orders to the realm directly as if he were in charge the most hysterical part of the entire ordeal with this character.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: August 09, 2011, 04:49:53 AM »
Some of Sundar's (Glaumring's) RPs have been pretty damn entertaining, just for their sheer audaciousness. Like sending a message to the entire Order of the Phoenix (an island-wide FEI order/guild, one of whose principles is to create standards of warfare and prohibit certain types of looting) about how he beats his manservant.