Author Topic: More hostile diplomatic options  (Read 2776 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: More hostile diplomatic options
« Topic Start: May 13, 2020, 02:24:45 PM »
Based on conversations on another recent thread, I've actually been considering something similar to this, but not quite the same:

Separate from the military diplomatic relations, have a set of cultural diplomatic relations. Something like

Brothers - Friends - Indifferent - Hostile - Enemies

They would have no mechanical military consequences (though they might have other mechanical consequences, at least in time), but would be a way to clearly indicate how your realm and another realm feel about each other.

To be honest, I'm not thrilled about the idea of allowing any kind of attacks on a realm without being at war with them. It complicates things, particularly when I've just introduced a mechanic requiring reasons for being able to attack a realm—which depends on having to declare war to attack a realm. Furthermore, I think it highly likely that 99% of the time, "hostile" would be used and seen as nearly synonymous with "war"—certainly, a realm having its regions attacked and looted isn't going to hesitate to treat that as an act of war.

And to be clear, you can already attack a realm you're neutral with by setting your men to Aggressive or Murderous. You can even loot them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan